Powercolor RX570 Red Dragon overheating

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
I bought 2x powercolor red dragon GPUs... i tried to return them yesterday due to their excessive heat. However, they had no other RX570/580's.

My GPUs are running 60-70 degrees at idle. At 80, they shut off. The fans are not kicking in much, run ning 380rpm at idle. I tried using wattman to up the fan speed, which lowered temps (with a lot of noise), but this caused BSOD at 65 degrees w/ 3k+ rpm.

I have a Crystal 460x case with 4 sp120 fans. I have a R100i cooler for the cpu, which runsd 38-40degrees idle, 65-70 degrees at max load.

The GPUs run this temperature regardless of whether or not i have the side panel off or etc. I can only assume that the fan profile isnt working correctly, and by the time they spool up, it's too late. I see them getting about 2k rpm after 75 degrees or so, but that isnt enough. I do not see why running idle here they are content to run the fans at 384 rpm, at 70c

rx570.PNG

Reactions: imre
like this
That's not normal. I have 2x PowerColor 480s and I get around 44C at idle (the fan isn't even on).

sounds like a crypto virus is working your cards to me. Take a screenshot of gpu-z sensors tab in action to double check the gpus are in fact not running at 100% lol...

Last edited:
sounds like a crypto virus is working your cards to me. Take a screenshot of gpu-z sensors tab in action to double check the gpus are in fact not running at 100% lol...

Good call there, also, what is the ambient temp in the room? Those temps sound high on the CPU with an R100i

install and use MSI afterburner. Checks clocks and temps. Along with fan profile.

crypto miner sounds very possible. You on Windows 7? What AV?

I know MS Defender is pretty good about catching crypto miner stuff, as it can be a pain on my miners......

I had a very similar issue with my powercolor rx460, turned out to be a weird driver thing and the GPU stepping frequencies. It was like some where before 17.1 when it finally stabilized for my htpc.

I know you are on a fresh win10 but maybe get gpuz and afterburner to see what the deal is then ddu if you want to try wiping the drivers.

Also side note and way different cooler but redoing the paste with artic mx4 seamed to help me as there appeared to way to little from the factory.

I have 5 RX570 Red Dragon and Red Devil cards mining on one system. Not changing the paste or anything and temps are just fine mining ETH+SC. You likely have a fan profile problem, which could be fixed with an afterburner profile.

I will see what i can do wit h the fan profile. I called powercolor and they told me those temps were normal... told him i was running an asus x99 deluxe 2 (he asked what motherboard) and then he asked me if it was an intel or amd cpu *shakes head*

I will see what i can do wit h the fan profile. I called powercolor and they told me those temps were normal... told him i was running an asus x99 deluxe 2 (he asked what motherboard) and then he asked me if it was an intel or amd cpu *shakes head*

Post a pic of your case internals. This sounds like a situation of poor case cooling, not two faulty cards.

remove the bottom card as a test, if temps drop a lot, yo know they are choked for air - If your sidepanel is solid without a fan, especially.

I bought 2x powercolor red dragon GPUs... i tried to return them yesterday due to their excessive heat. However, they had no other RX570/580's.

My GPUs are running 60-70 degrees at idle. At 80, they shut off. The fans are not kicking in much, run ning 380rpm at idle. I tried using wattman to up the fan speed, which lowered temps (with a lot of noise), but this caused BSOD at 65 degrees w/ 3k+ rpm.

I have a Crystal 460x case with 4 sp120 fans. I have a R100i cooler for the cpu, which runsd 38-40degrees idle, 65-70 degrees at max load.

The GPUs run this temperature regardless of whether or not i have the side panel off or etc. I can only assume that the fan profile isnt working correctly, and by the time they spool up, it's too late. I see them getting about 2k rpm after 75 degrees or so, but that isnt enough. I do not see why running idle here they are content to run the fans at 384 rpm, at 70c

View attachment 26091

My card has been to 83 before i would not stress about it, they are built for maximum temps of 98 at least.
ideally u want to run them low for long life, keep a fan on it also, 1 watt china market fan will do.
my card runs at 69 now maximum load while i play games .

I dont know how much more i can do. I have 3 120s on the front, 1 on back and 2 on my radiator on top

View attachment 26433
rest a china fan on the top of your 2 graphics cards (resting on both blowing the gap of the cards) , blowing the heat downwards , it still cools the cards .... you will see in the hardware monitor software
i dont lid my box i just leave it open and it is on the side... i know some guys like fancy looking boxes, i could not be bothered with that eye candy nonsense.

case fans work for closed boxes like yours, but again i just could not be bothered ive never seen the point in spending all the money on a fancy box and case fans, and lights , really

you should watch the beauty on the screen and enjoy the hertz

I dont know how much more i can do. I have 3 120s on the front, 1 on back and 2 on my radiator on top

View attachment 26433

Why do the fans on top look like they are stopped? Most of the heat in your case is going to get exhausted by those fans, they need to be on and moving a lot of air. Otherwise you are relying on just 120mm for exhaust.

Why do the fans on top look like they are stopped? Most of the heat in your case is going to get exhausted by those fans, they need to be on and moving a lot of air. Otherwise you are relying on just 120mm for exhaust.
good catch!

Back