PowerColor RX470 4GB > what next ... also Intel /AMD CPU Thoughts

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi, so i eventually bought an RX470 after asking 1 million questions.
I want to get another one BUT the price has spiked a bit now sure if i must consider the ASUS 470 Strix 6 pin connector card and or the Giogabyte 480 G1 8 pin connector card.

Those seem to be more affordable ....

I just hear they run very very hot... the PowerColor i have also runs very hot, i suppose they all do.

I think my questionS are really , is it safe to buy a second card online at sites like amazon.co.uk or amazon.com?
Or is it better to just buy a new card and spend the extra 20-25 pounds?
Do you just close your eyes or is this something you should really try to work on and get a good deal on?
I mean for my case yah i need to save because i am using my savings to buy this stuff.
I do not mind buying a second hand/used card for 150 versus 175/180 pounds...
Only problem for me is i do not live in the UK or the US or CHINA or PHILIPPINES or UAE so i need to be mindful of shipping.if it is broken.

My next question is more about the brand, between the Gigabyte 4GB G1 (8pin connector) and the Asus Strix 4GB (6 pin connector) which would you prefer or doesn't it matter because they all get hot and work pretty much the same?

My next question is , i have an old i7 2600K CPU i think the motherboard i have is rubbish maybe becuase it is not a good overclocker.... at least when i change the multiplier from 34 to say 36 i dont see bugger all CPU speed improvement when i use say Minergate to mine AEON coin..,..its the same bloody speed.
Do i leave this processor or do i get a new socket Intel board OR even 1366 2011? i dont know....
I also have an AMD X4 860K not a bad CPU for mining, but it is half as slow as my i7 2600K

Not sure if it is worth the energy and selling the Intel and AMD platforms each individually CPU and MOBO and then buying a new platform.... again i am not sure which is a better deal here for mining...

Intel or amd ... is Ryzen just a huge hype right now?
i dont know....seems like alor of work to focus on motherboard and cpu also.
But it makes sense if i want to just use one machine for mining? i

1 i always buy used. Gpus last a long time and I have yet to receive a do a card. And CPU didn't matter in the slightest. I run a 1.8 GHz dual core Xeon on my rigs.

Reactions: imre
like this
Sounds like a waste of spending so much for a CPU that only pays out 50 Cents to 80 Cents right? (ive seen forums posts of Ryzen paying 86 cents if that)
So maybe my curent AMD X4 860 paying at 20 cents (need to confirm) is fine, BUT not amazing.
My Intel i7 2600k pays me about 38 to 42 cents a day so thats almost amazing.
I know the newer CPUs with 12meg L3 cache even 8meg and many more threads are much better but they only pay so much , 1 buck if you are lucky.... its just a fortune to upgrade IMO , board ram cpu, its crazy.
For me its a question of keep or change, so my current CPU sockets are FM2+ and LGA 1155.
I would like to get 1366 but the boards are riduculously priced if you dont stay in the right location of the world 3rd world 2nd or 1st world doesnt matter.
Our second hand market here is useless because everybody is greedy and they over price their items.
Not to mention the little availibility of them here. Maybe population driven i dont know. 52 million here of which maybe not even a quarter are tech owners.

I have an Intel Socket LGA 775 and an AMD Socket 462, can i do anything useful with these ?
I was thinking to try and get an inexpensive better CPU for my LGA 775.... its not the bext motherboard "i think" because everything is grayed out and you cant overclock.
The CPU in there now is useless, it was a PC given to my mom 2 years ago.
I found it in my back room so i dusted it off and it is sparkling clean now.
It has an E2 something old dual core CPU so so so slow. not even 2.1 ghz

Back