PowerColor Red Devil RX480 refuses to clock

Nebulous I revamped my thinking on voltage with MSI Afterburner. I'm at a +30 setting in MSI Afterburner and it's more stable than the ridiculousness ,+93 voltage, GPU Tweak II set. GPU Tweak II raises the voltage linearly? in relation to GPU core speed, and this unnecessarily creates heat and instability. People on Reddit were saying that lowering the voltage sometimes allows for higher overclocks due to less heat generated. I haven't become hippie enough to try this though. F those trees!

:) :) :)

Hey awesome! Yeah I figured the card was becoming more unstable when I raised core voltage. So +30 is that core voltage or Power Limit in MSI AFterburner?

Honestly I just chose +50 on the Power Limit because it looked cool. Everything works so I don't know if a higher or lower setting would be better. I think I can extended the settings more at least with GPU Tweak II. Stuff worked at these settings so I called it a day. ;)

(Until someone posts a higher number then I have to try again!)

2016-10-28.png

Nebulous Just seen this over on Reddit. Looks like I need to Learn2WattMan after all. :( ebduncan Have you tried this? Maybe we should be talking about this in the RX 480 owner's thread?

Honestly I just chose +50 on the Power Limit because it looked cool. Everything works so I don't know if a higher or lower setting would be better. I think I can extended the settings more at least with GPU Tweak II. Stuff worked at these settings so I called it a day. ;)

(Until someone posts a higher number then I have to try again!)

View attachment 9582

Those settings didn't work for me. Tried it and then was rewarded with the bsod : Page Fault in nonpaged area , atikmdag.sys failure screen :cry: I'll keep trying but I feel this is futile with this card. I've had duds in my time, but man this is takes the cake! lol.

Thanks for posting them tho! Yeah the XFX card is really making waves with clocks.

Those settings didn't work for me. Tried it and then was rewarded with the bsod : Page Fault in nonpaged area , atikmdag.sys failure screen :cry: I'll keep trying but I feel this is futile with this card. I've had duds in my time, but man this is takes the cake! lol.

Thanks for posting them tho! Yeah the XFX card is really making waves with clocks.

Did you read the Reddit post I linked? You can get a sick OC just by changing the timings on the memory. Of course OC the memory like normal, but actually changing the timings seems to give an even bigger boost.

I don't Wattman at all. Guess I'll take a crash course in BSOD tonight.

Yeah I read the whole post. I tried editing my bios with Polaris. Doesn't matter what settings/voltage/power limit I set, best this card has to offer is 1350/2200 and nothing else. I got a universal waterblock in the works and I might just slap it on. I don't have temp issues, but maybe with cooler temps I'll try it again.

I tried using 1.25v on the core to pass the 1350, however it just puked up with a black screen, lol. I don't understand how wattman works as any little increase in settings resulted in a video crash. Good luck with it.

Nebulous Just seen this over on Reddit. Looks like I need to Learn2WattMan after all. :( ebduncan Have you tried this? Maybe we should be talking about this in the RX 480 owner's thread?

yes, I have done this. I edited the bios, to allow the 1750mhz memory timings, for the higher clock speed of 2200mhz. I haven't had any luck going past 2250mhz on the memory, so I started to tweak the memory timings at that speed to bring about improvement. You cannot control memory voltage on the RX-480 so no way to really push the memory to hard. You can hard mod the card to allow for more memory voltage but I don't feel that is needed for most users.

I'm almost done with my Rx-480 testing. My review and guide should be posted with in the next week or so.

*Update*

Got me a swiftech MCW82 universal waterblock a few days ago and decided to slap it on. Huge temp drop. Not worried about my VRM temps either as they run really cool.

After attaching the block, decided to see what it can do. Finally got the eluded 1400/2200 :D Under Heaven benchmark temps maxed @ 52c and VRM temps were: Vrm-1=55c and Vrm2=30c. I've got a 140mm slim scythe fan blowing right up thar keeping them nice and cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    103.8 KB · Views: 35
Grats on getting the water going. That's a nice turnaround.

Thx! I got the wb on the cheap ($25 shipped) and it so happens AMD hasn't changed their mounting holes in years. It was pretty much plug-n-play :D Temps with a 360 rad are just insanely cool. I thought the 480 would dump more heat into the loop, but not in this case. Cpu temps are still in the 30's idle and 40-ish or so under heavy loads. I was going to add another loop with the MCR140-X Drive just for the gpu, but I guess I don't need it. I lucked out (y)

Want to stress out your RX 480 to check for stability? Try Battlefield 1 on Ultra under DX12. It made me lower my OC a bit. I might try messing with voltage to get back to where I was though.

Welp I was wrong about my 360 rad handling both CPU and GPU temps on a single loop. Under heavy gaming the 480 is just a bit too much for my 360 to cope. Cpu temps climbed to mid to upper 60's and Gpu temps also climb to mid 60's lower 70's at times and this is running @ 1400/2200. I can feel the heat come off my lowly 360 and to be able to handle the heat dump from the 480, I gotta ramp the pump and fan speeds to max.

Lowered the clocks on the 480 to stock and shopping around for 280mm rad or I'll just pick up a Coolgate 480 both depending on the pricing.

Welp I was wrong about my 360 rad handling both CPU and GPU temps on a single loop. Under heavy gaming the 480 is just a bit too much for my 360 to cope. Cpu temps climbed to mid to upper 60's and Gpu temps also climb to mid 60's lower 70's at times and this is running @ 1400/2200. I can feel the heat come off my lowly 360 and to be able to handle the heat dump from the 480, I gotta ramp the pump and fan speeds to max.

Lowered the clocks on the 480 to stock and shopping around for 280mm rad or I'll just pick up a Coolgate 480 both depending on the pricing.

Do it proper, stick a 480 in push/pull in the top like this, there's plenty of clearance in the primo. I have a spare 480, wink wink.

3Q9e3Lfl.jpg

pp1850.png

Ooooo, nicey nice ;) Lemme see about funds and I'll pm you. I got plenty of 120mm fans. I was considering the 280 as I can reuse the 140mm primo fans. Gotta call a co-member tonite after work to see what he's gonna do with spare rads I spoke to him about earlier this am. I'll let you know, thx.

There are 3 spots for intake/exhaust to use those 140mm primo fans. 120mm fans are still generally stronger in regards static pressure, albeit that was the result when compared to typhoons. Typhoons with 140mm adapters > any 140mm fan. From experience, the top of the Primo has sooo much room that push/pull is easy and you might as max the rad up there.

Good news: Got me a Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm Radiator and 4 120mm bitfenix fans to match the ones I already have on my 360 rad along with fittings from a friend on the cheep :D

i have a Sapphire nitro+OC that i just got a few days ago. I was able to get 1400mhz gpu but cannot go past 2100mhz on the ram. The ram doesn't really seem to like to be overclocked?

i have a Sapphire nitro+OC that i just got a few days ago. I was able to get 1400mhz gpu but cannot go past 2100mhz on the ram. The ram doesn't really seem to like to be overclocked?

Have you tried just overclocking the ram without touching gpu speed? I can't get 2250. Best mine can do is 2200.

no i haven't. I haven't really messed around with it. what is better overclocking ram or GPU ? i love this card it's as quiet as my old ASUS strix gtx970 and the temps are similar. I'm getting great performance. The avg min frames are much higher on Rx480. what is a good mhz memory overclock ?

no i haven't. I haven't really messed around with it. what is better overclocking ram or GPU ? i love this card it's as quiet as my old ASUS strix gtx970 and the temps are similar. I'm getting great performance. The avg min frames are much higher on Rx480. what is a good mhz memory overclock ?

Dunno as I'm sure you know every card is different. My card as stubborn and wouldn't go past 1350/2200 until I put it under water. You're going to have to play the numbers game with it. Put the card back to defaults and just work the mem clock. Run Firestrike and chart down speed of mem along with score. Rinse and repeat until you get unstable. Return back to stock speed then work with the Gpu core speed and do the same with FireStrike and chart down scores every time. You'll then will now what your card is able to do.

Be sure to keep eyes on temps. You got a long night ahead of you bud ;)

i tried stock gpu clock 1342mhz and raised the memory clock to 2200mhz and it keeps crashing in TF2. so i guess my card does not like having the memory overclock. I bet i can do like 1450mhz on the gpu though.

i tried 1450mhz and stock memory 2000mhz and TF2 ran but crashed. I am gonna try gpu at 1425mhz with stock memory of 2000mhz

titanfall 2 ran fine at 1425mhz gpu and 2000mhz ram . tried for a 100mhz oc with 1442mhz gpu and 2000mhz ram and it crashed after a few mins. tried 1430mhz on the gpu and it got flaky. It looks like the most stable is 1425mhz and 2000mhz on the memory
i might try 2100mhz on the mem.

What are you using the clock the card? MSI AB, Trixx, Asus Gpu Tweak, Wattman?

Good news: Got me a Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm Radiator and 4 120mm bitfenix fans to match the ones I already have on my 360 rad along with fittings from a friend on the cheep :D

More rad is better but I have to say, I'm a firm believer in maximizing the available space with the max rad size. But its also true that you get what you can get so grats on the find.

More rad is better but I have to say, I'm a firm believer in maximizing the available space with the max rad size. But its also true that you get what you can get so grats on the find.

Agreed thus is why I switched from the 240mm rad to the EX360 rad and 6 BitFenix fans for the same price :cool:

what do people undervolt their cards too? I can adjust the voltage in TRixx software.

Back