PowerColor Radeon HD 6970 2GB $79.99 AR - Newegg

Sad to say this would be an upgrade for me. If these were $59 ea I might grab two. Maybe BF?

I'm half tempted to bite the bullet on a 970...

I currently run a 6870...

There's still inventory of new 6970's?
:eek:

seems like Powercolor & newegg should have clearanced these out a looong time ago

There's still inventory of new 6970's?

seems like Powercolor & newegg should have clearanced these out a looong time ago

I have to agree with you that you would think that by now these would have been long gone, so perhaps Powercolor had a bunch of unused/excess GPUs and when mining took off they decided to try and capitalize and produced some new stock? It would be interesting to see what the manufacturing date is on these cards.

Maybe PowerColor kept the cards for warranty replacement until now.

While that is certainly a possibility, I only offered up my suggestion because if you look at the Newegg customer reviews, none of them are dated prior to April of 2014...way (years?) after the 6970s were initially released. It kinda looks like a new model to me, as opposed to old stock...doesn't look like the typical 6970s looked when first released. Just a conjecture on my part, certainly not based on any concrete evidence.

I'd say that's a pretty good price for a card that's still pretty powerful. My stock 6950 is still able to run the majority if fans at a good framerate. I think 2 would be good for a build on a budget (if you have the power for it)

(I could be totally wrong,I haven't kept up much with video cards)

Pretty sad that his old card is an upgrade for me. Think I'll see 25% better framerate compared to my 5850?

Here's a comparison with framerate of a 6990 (basically 2 6970s) and the 280x.

Take it how y will.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1183?vs=1041

I will day that looking at the framerate listed for the 6990 makes it look like it runs everything I would want to play just fine, but I dint know the price if the 280x, and it's important to remember the 6970s are hot and power hungry compared to newer cards

I have a 6870 now which is good enough for the gaming I do. I mostly play older games (2 years+) because I'm cheap and don't like paying $59.99 for the latest stuff. Wondering how much of a difference this would make.

Back