Powercolor Launches the Radeon RX 590

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Powercolor has seemingly announced the AMD Radeon RX 590 ahead of everyone else, including AMD. As of this post, the Powercolor website is down, but the Internet Archive managed to get a snapshot of the news page yesterday. In a press release with a November 15 date, Powercolor says their Red Devil RX 590 is built on a 12nm process, and features a 1576Mhz boost clock. Like the 580, the 590 has 2304 stream processors and 8GB of GDDR5 on a 256 bit bus running at 8Gbps. Powercolor's version comes with 8pin + 6 pin power connecters and a 6+1 phase design.

Red Devil RX 590 comes with Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5 and The Division as part of 3 game bundle worth 180$ available on selected eTailers worldwide on the 15th.

The best they can do from a die shrink is 156mhz (Red Devil 580 ->590)? Talk about diminishing returns....
I think its an appreciable upgrade for people who don't have a 580 already there are pretty nice benchmark improvements in synthetics and in game.

The best they can do from a die shrink is 156mhz (Red Devil 580 ->590)? Talk about diminishing returns....
You could call it a die shrink, but really...it's 14->12, you can't expect much from that.

hopefully it can still overclock higher.. but we'll see.. definitely agree it's an option for those that don't already have something at or above that performance.. cough like myself that doesn't want to spend 300+ dollars for a 1070..

That bundle is very compelling. Especially if the Division is actually Division 2 which would make more sense. Nvidia will be screwed based on how many people want those three games.

Powercolor has seemingly announced the AMD Radeon RX 590 ahead of everyone else, including AMD. As of this post, the Powercolor website is down, but the Internet Archive managed to get a snapshot of the news page yesterday. In a press release with a November 15 date, Powercolor says their Red Devil RX 590 is built on a 12nm process, and features a 1576Mhz boost clock. Like the 580, the 590 has 2304 stream processors and 8GB of GDDR5 on a 256 bit bus running at 8Gbps. Powercolor's version comes with 8pin + 6 pin power connecters and a 6+1 phase design.

Red Devil RX 590 comes with Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5 and The Division as part of 3 game bundle worth 180$ available on selected eTailers worldwide on the 15th.

Darn. I was hoping for 7nm. So basically it's an overclock of an overclock with NO GDDR6.

So power envelope is about the same and while clocks are roughly 20% higher than a RX 580, but because the baseline 590 is using the same speed memory the actual improvement is something like 15% higher than a 580 and maybe 20% higher than a RX 480.

This ignores that the RX 480 came out in June, 2016 so in about 2.5 years there's maybe a 20% improvement AND a nearly 20% higher price compared to the 480's original MSRP.

I guess the improvement is mostly in power efficiency, should require less power and run cooler. We'll see when the reviews hit the interwebs.

That bundle is very compelling. Especially if the Division is actually Division 2 which would make more sense. Nvidia will be screwed based on how many people want those three games.
I just checked the web archive capture of the announcement. The text states "The Division" but right below that are pictures of the software titles and the picture does show Division 2.

If they have the technology, they can run the cards faster and they can get same or more profit from each card, then it is win win for amd and the customers, but it is not very exciting.

Removed the broken URL, as it looks like Powercolor's site isn't going up anytime soon. I get an error going to powercolor.com now, whereas they posted some kind of maintenance message before.

Yeah, or they're valuing the bundle at the original MSRP's. The Division 2 makes more sense.

It seems like a lot of effort for a tired architecture. I mean, I've used an 8GB RX580 for some time and it has been mediocre right from the start.

However, the main reason I picked it up was for the superb Linux support and undervolting potential (very low watt system). So with even smaller power draw, this would be a nice pick.

It seems like a lot of effort for a tired architecture. I mean, I've used an 8GB RX580 for some time and it has been mediocre right from the start.

However, the main reason I picked it up was for the superb Linux support and undervolting potential (very low watt system). So with even smaller power draw, this would be a nice pick.

I would like to buy AMD, but I'm not biting till their performance matches NVIDIA's 1080 on VR. So I'm going to sit and wait. Liquid VR really hasn't taken off from what I can tell. Also buying 2 cards doesn't help with VR. (Left eye/Right eye render) as originally proposed.

I would like to buy AMD, but I'm not biting till their performance matches NVIDIA's 1080 on VR. So I'm going to sit and wait. Liquid VR really hasn't taken off from what I can tell. Also buying 2 cards doesn't help with VR. (Left eye/Right eye render) as originally proposed.
You might be sitting and waiting forever. :) Arguably, even the budget perspective makes less sense (GTX 1070 is cheaper and faster for Windows gaming). I traded a GTX980 for an RX580, which was an obvious "side-grade", but electricity consumption dropped to half, and it doesn't stutter or crash like the GTX did at 144Hz. It was more about having a reliable experience than anything else. I suspect this new 590 would be similar, but now with Vega 56 cards going for so cheap -- what's the point? They are even better -- I just couldn't afford one at the time since they were insanely overpriced at launch.

I mean, it's a midrange part. Not sure what you were expecting. It was supposed to be mediocre.

Dude VR sales are tanking. Oculus co-founder already left Facebook since Rift 2 will be cancelled. VR is a novelty that is seriously struggling to keep momentum. It's about as niche as it gets in this industry.

I mean, it's a midrange part. Not sure what you were expecting. It was supposed to be mediocre.

Dude VR sales are tanking. Oculus co-founder already left Facebook since Rift 2 will be cancelled. VR is a novelty that is seriously struggling to keep momentum. It's about as niche as it gets in this industry.

I don't agree. It's sales are steady. But the often cited issue with wide adoption is the entry cost for true high end. Large universities are teaching classes on it now.

I don't agree. It's sales are steady. But the often cited issue with wide adoption is the entry cost for true high end. Large universities are teaching classes on it now.
It's also because theres a lack of compelling content. Or that people don't generally prefer strapping a large box to their head for entertainment. If the tech can advance to a point where we can experience VR without the primitive head gear apparatus of today and costs become more comparable to peripherals like a premium headset or keyboard, we might see VR gain traction and become more mainstream. Until then, it doesn't make sense to invest heavily into such a niche market.

20% improvement AND a nearly 20% higher price compared
...to Nvidia who tossed out all that shit a long time ago and doesn't give two shits about scaling. I understand why they can, but they're toying with brand loyalty.

It's hard to argue paying a 1:1 ratio for improvemed performance. When you add in the fact that I bet many of these cards will do 1650ish sustained boost and 82-8400 on the memory and now you are paying 20% for 25+% improvement....

The kick ass game bundle has me, the owner of 7 WC'd Vegas, seriously considering buying one!

Bread and butter market card. A decent performer at a decent price. It will sell well.

Back