PowerColor HD6850 single slot

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
Pretty nice for a low power SFF case or HTPC with some nice gaming horsepower. Notice that it doesn't need an external power connector.

smimg0255.jpg
smimg0189.jpg

Source

I wonder what the temps are like on that thing. Also I wonder if it is underclocked so that it doesn't draw more than 75w of power.

I want this card. Any more information on it? Was about to purchase a Sapphire 6850 for my Lian Li Q11 case but I'm worried about heat. This looks perfect.

Someone posted more pics and benches here and here.
The card is not underclocked, it runs at the same speeds as a regular 6850.

3dmark0615856.jpg

furmark30min.jpg

heaven720p.jpg

vantagep11368.jpg

How did they remove the PCIe connector from a card that consumes ~125w at maximum load? :confused:

The chip most likely never needed it to begin with and AMD put the extra power connector to allow for overclocking which the 6850 does very well.

That card is really interesting. A good video card with low power requirements. That thing must stay cool with that good stock cooling.

The chip most likely never needed it to begin with and AMD put the extra power connector to allow for overclocking which the 6850 does very well.

though the HD6870 does come with two PCIe power connectors, lol. That's what concerned me about this board lacking the 6pin, as the HD6850 is a cut down HD6870, doesn't it have the potential to get rather toasty power draw figures?

though the HD6870 does come with two PCIe power connectors, lol. That's what concerned me about this board lacking the 6pin, as the HD6850 is a cut down HD6870, doesn't it have the potential to get rather toasty power draw figures?

I agree. Check out TPU's numbers for a stock 6850.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_550_Ti_Direct_Cu/21.html

90 watts on average is 15 watts more than PCIe's certified limit, and would happen continuously under load. I'd be interested to find out what power-saving techniques were used, because they would have to be pretty significant, I think more than just good voltage regulators and binned dies.

Well think about it. It depends on how high the voltage needs to be so the chip could reach the desired clock speeds and any headroom for overclocking. With this card they may have gone the other way and tweaked voltages to go as low as possible but still enough to reach stock speeds. Lower voltage means less heat, thus lower TDP allowing for a slimmer heatsink/fan assembly while still maintaining temperatures within the range the chip was designed to work in. Something tells me the card will be pretty loud at full load.

Think with the next process shrink we can get 6850 level performance in a Low Profile card? I have an HTPC with a LP 5570 but could use more oomph!!

Well think about it. It depends on how high the voltage needs to be so the chip could reach the desired clock speeds and any headroom for overclocking. With this card they may have gone the other way and tweaked voltages to go as low as possible but still enough to reach stock speeds. Lower voltage means less heat, thus lower TDP allowing for a slimmer heatsink/fan assembly while still maintaining temperatures within the range the chip was designed to work in. Something tells me the card will be pretty loud at full load.

well, the 8800gt was a 125W TDP card in a single slot, so... :D :D I don't think it was too loud :)

Think with the next process shrink we can get 6850 level performance in a Low Profile card? I have an HTPC with a LP 5570 but could use more oomph!!
Probably, considering 5770 is similar to 4850 but is much cooler and uses less power. 7770 could be similar to 6850 in performance. ;)

Pretty nice for a low power SFF case or HTPC with some nice gaming horsepower. Notice that it doesn't need an external power connector.

smimg0255.jpg
smimg0189.jpg

Source

Looks like an HD56xx-killer if I ever saw one (possibly even HD57xx, depending on the performance numbers).

However, it hasn't gone out the door yet.

Quad Crossfire capable. Awesome. Would love to see tri and quad-fire benches.

I'm disappointed it requires a power cable. I have a mini-itx case and motherboard. Would a single slot be better than a double slot card? Would a single slot card struggle more to stay cool in my cramped and crowded case?

Pretty clearly that Powercolor and the Colamax/Afox in the OP aren't the same card... which prompts the question, why did the OP call it a Powercolor at all? I can't find anywhere it says that.

So yeah... two different cards here. Both single slot 6850s, both seem to support crossfire, but the Colamax/Afox appears to not require a PCIe power connector while the Powercolor does. Also, the Colamax/Afox probably won't show up in North America.

I see that the Colamax has the same pcb location for a connector, if it had had one.

Back