Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (420core/350mem)

AACI_CIO

Limp Gawd
You can add me to the list of successful 9800SE->9800Pro softmods using the Omegadirivers (http://www.omegacorner.com). Even better, using the stock black cooler from Powercolor allowed me to OC to 420MHz Core and 350Mhz Memory using radlinker! My better cooling solution (Artic Cooler Rev.3) is en route. Perhaps 450Mhz core? :cool:

I got the card from http://www.newegg.com for $153 shipped and the cooler from http://www.SVC.com for $9.99+shipping.

Links for anyone else who wants this sweetness card:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-236&depa=1

and link the the [H]ot Deals thread on the SVC.com sale:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=762538

Awesome!! ... but i don't know.. i was thinking of getting the saphire 9800pro and moding it to the xt... i really need to upgrade my vidcard.. >=\

Well, I have OCed to the general territory of the 9800XT. However, my card seems to have a fantastic core compared to some other 9800SEs. Also, my mem can't go to 360 with out artifacts. Then again, even a sapphire 9800Pro is NOT guarenteed to mod to the 9800XT. So, basically, you have a $50 debate.

Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro + Artic Cooler = Good chance at 9800XT core+ and reasonable memory (360Mhz-ish) @ ~$170

Sapphire 9800Pro -> 9800XT + Artic Cooler = Good chance at 9800XT functionally @ ~$220

Both are a risk, but the 9800Pro should be less of a risk at a literally higher cost.

what type of memory chip and rated nano seconds do Powercolor 9800SE cards use? what's on yours?

I looked at the memory. Oddly, there is no apparent brand. However, the first major code starts with an "HY####." So, perhaps hynix?

Update after installing arctic cooler:

Astounding results! Running ATI Tool artifact tester right now. See below:

Core: 446 MHz had no artifiacts for more than an hour
Memory: Currently 382 Mhz and climbing with no artifacts for more than 7 minutes

That's right: $153 + $10 for cooler is giving me 446 core 382+ memory!

Now, why in the world is the artic cooler allowing a 40Mhz+ increase in the memory when I could get only ~10Mhz before the cooler? Very odd, but I like it. :D

I think I may do a 2.4Ghz+ OC on my proc to get a nice high 3DMark 2003 score.

Word travels fast. I was in Compusa yesterday and saw a couple leave the shelf right in front of me(Boulder Co)

Final max OC:

Core: 446 Mhz
Memory: 387 Mhz

Both show no artifacts for over an hour in 3DMark 2003.

Only getting ~6350 3DMark 2003 marks with the max OC and mobile barton at 2500MHz. Oh well, FarCry looks great.

AACI_CIO said:
I looked at the memory. Oddly, there is no apparent brand. However, the first major code starts with an "HY####." So, perhaps hynix?
yeah, that's hynix.. also by looking at your great GPU/Mem clocks, sounds like you got some nice chips there. Congrats....

as for the VGA Silencer, does this thing cool memory chips too? by looking at the base of this cooler, it doesn't look like it'll contact mem chips but suck up the hot air nearby the mem chips instead??.. any insights please? thanx...

bak.jpg

meowCat said:
yeah, that's hynix.. also by looking at your great GPU/Mem clocks, sounds like you got some nice chips there. Congrats....

as for the VGA Silencer, does this thing cool memory chips too? by looking at the base of this cooler, it doesn't look like it'll contact mem chips but suck up the hot air nearby the mem chips instead??.. any insights please? thanx...

bak.jpg

Nope, the cooler only touches the core. Hence, my confusion as to why the memory is doing so much better after changing the cooler. Perhaps the artifacts I got yesterday with the memory were actually the OCed core interacting in some way with the memory. :confused:

Whatever the case, the card now does 30MHz more on memory after installing the artic cooler.... Maybe I broke some voltage regulator when installing the cooler and the memory is at 3.5 volts. :D

AACI_CIO said:
Nope, the cooler only touches the core. Hence, my confusion as to why the memory is doing so much better after changing the cooler. Perhaps the artifacts I got yesterday with the memory were actually the OCed core interacting in some way with the memory. :confused:

Whatever the case, the card now does 30MHz more on memory after installing the artic cooler.... Maybe I broke some voltage regulator when installing the cooler and the memory is at 3.5 volts. :D
ok, thanx... that's what I wanted to know.

yea.. oc'ed core gives artifacts too as we know...

well i too, am surprised of your memory oc result.. well shi.t, congrats anyway.. hehe :D

btw, i want that card man.. :D

Nice clocks, especially for a 9800 SE. With Vgpu and Vmem mods you will be hitting 480/400 for sure.

But people thinking about this...you've got to beware. The success rate on the 9800 SE --> Pro mod is only about 33% w/o any artificats. Prices on the "old" cards should start dropping like rocks anytime now and I wouldn't take the risk on a 9800 SE. Lots of good deals should appear among people selling their "old" vid cards. I bought a used 9800XT 2 weeks ago at Xtreme for $260 w/ HL2 coupon.

DaveX said:
Nice clocks, especially for a 9800 SE. With Vgpu and Vmem mods you will be hitting 480/400 for sure.

But people thinking about this...you've got to beware. The success rate on the 9800 SE --> Pro mod is only about 33% w/o any artificats. Prices on the "old" cards should start dropping like rocks anytime now and I wouldn't take the risk on a 9800 SE. Lots of good deals should appear among people selling their "old" vid cards. I bought a used 9800XT 2 weeks ago at Xtreme for $260 w/ HL2 coupon.

Wow, $260? Heck, I would've bought a 9800XT for that price. I too am surprised at the clocks I have achieved. However, the 33% conversion estimate seems quite low compared to what I read on most forums and newegg.com's reviews. I know that the Powercolor and ONLY the Powercolor has a much higher success rate.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-236&depa=0

Yes that Powercolor is probably the best choice for softmod. Sapphire 9800SE's have the L-shaped memory configuration but DO NOT HAVE 256-bit memory interface. I have seen people foolishly buy it in hopes that it will softmod.

When I said 33% I meant with the stock cooler and w/o any artifacts. OCFaq seems to show about 50% success rate but that is probably after people replaced the stock hsf with better cooling. Some 9800SE's just won't hit XT speeds without better cooling.

AACI_CIO said:

My guess is cooling the core more effectively dropped the entire PCB's temperture quite a bit.

33%?.... and 50%??... both are wrong... (read the topic name, "powercolor")

the success rate of softmod(without even flashing bios) on the Powercolor 9800SE is 80% or higher. Of course it depends on what hardware you mess with. You take a card that is physically not capable to do certain specs, soft mod isn't gonna work. From what i've seen, the Powercolor 9800se cards seem to have good hardware specs, similar to red pcb'ed r9800pro r350 core. More confirmed by my bud Henry who's got 24,197 3dmark out of it. that is why I have feeling this card has a lot of potential... this card maybe *the* card to go with.. not that sleezy stinky ass recent r360cores from the r9800pro cards..

meowCat said:
33%?.... and 50%??... both are wrong... (read the topic name, "powercolor")

and you should read what people wrote because I was talking about all 9800 SE's

Back