Powercolor 7870 Myst and Catalyst 13.1

masterosok

Gawd
Anyone have any trouble installed the Catalyst 13.1 drivers with a PC 7870 Myst. I don't get any errors but when doing a custom install it doesn't load the video driver. I only lists the HDMI audio driver CCC and SDK. I also tried the 13.2 beta 5 driver which actually does load the display driver but I get a BSOD instantly when Windows loads up.

Edit: Well I don't think its related to the driver version as I installed the driver from the disk that came with the card with the same results. Put my 6950 back in and installed like a champ no problem. I'll try the 7870 tomorrow in another PC.... I seriously hope this isn't a DOA... will be the second DOA card I have received in the last 3 months. Not to mention that I just got the 6950 back from repair during that time too. Someone must have left their computer grelim in my new apt. :/

Last edited:
Anyone have any trouble installed the Catalyst 13.1 drivers with a PC 7870 Myst. I don't get any errors but when doing a custom install it doesn't load the video driver. I only lists the HDMI audio driver CCC and SDK. I also tried the 13.2 beta 5 driver which actually does load the display driver but I get a BSOD instantly when Windows loads up.

Edit: Well I don't think its related to the driver version as I installed the driver from the disk that came with the card with the same results. Put my 6950 back in and installed like a champ no problem. I'll try the 7870 tomorrow in another PC.... I seriously hope this isn't a DOA... will be the second DOA card I have received in the last 3 months. Not to mention that I just got the 6950 back from repair during that time too. Someone must have left their computer grelim in my new apt. :/

there was a problem with the 13.1 drivers not recognizing the HD 7870 Tahiti LE cards as the driver inf did not include these cards. this was mentioned by AMD rep Robert Hallock on overclock.net (user id - thracks) . but that was soon rectified. so did you download the 13.1 whql drivers just recently.

if you want to verify if its a hardware problem you can try 12.11 beta. that works fine with HD 7870 Tahiti LE cards.

Thanks for the update... I downloaded them within a few days of release.. I will redownload and try again.

Edit: Unfortunately that didn't resolve the issue. While the computer didn't BSOD initially and the display driver appeared to install, once you get to the Windows logon screen the computer hangs or barely responds... sometimes the mouse and keyboard would work but responsiveness was extremely delayed and it would never make it to the desktop after giving it a good 5 mins from the time I pressed enter after keying in the password. Its almost like its installing the wrong driver, however I imagine its the card. I'll be testing it out in another PC soon, but right now I'm just gonna play some Skyrim with my 6950 to drown my sorrows. :/

The drivers from the PowerColor website report that they are 12.11 but there is no indication of with beta version they are. ATI doesn't appear to archive their beta drivers from what I can see so I will have to look around on the net for a copy. Anyone know what the last beta version of the 12.11s ended up being?

Last edited:
I got around to putting it in another computer and had no issues using the 13.1s. I guess I will try reloading Windows and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Back