powerbook g4 battery

equate975

Limp Gawd
I picked up a used powerbook g4 that I just recently got running again. It's the DVI model I guess, 1ghz g4 with a gig of ram.

Anyways the battery is not even close to correct. The first 10 min my battery will go from 100% to 1%. It will sit at 1% for about an hour and a half with all battery saving features turned off. Looking at system profiler, during this time the battery amperage will go down to something like -1500mA before it will click off.

What confuses me is that the battery its-self thinks that it's low. If I have a full 100% charge, like let it charge the entire day, then unplug it and wait 10 min for it to hit 1%, hit the button on the battery, it will only blink on the first light saying that it's dead. But obviously the laptop will run for well over an hour on this 1% charge. Also if I turn my laptop off at this point, it will refuse to turn on until I let it charge for about 10 min.

I've tried recalibrating by getting it fully charged, then waiting for it to die, and repeat. It's helped some, but still not correct.

Is there anything else I can do?

Hmmm. I'm not seeing how to do it on my powerbook. The picture they show of the DVI model is not how mine is setup.

Mine looks like this:

77_5155.jpg

The actual power button is "inside" the speaker recesses, not above it like in the picture. Also I don't see any tabs or anything to pop the keyboard off anywhere.

Looking around at the other locations I don't see a button anywhere to reset the PMU.

Back