PowerBook G4 - 7448 or overclock 7447A

Discussion in 'All non-AMD/Intel CPUs' started by rabidz7, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rabidz7

rabidz7 [H]ard|Gawd

How much faster is a 7448 running at 2.2GHz/1.4v through a 200MHz but than a 7447A running at 2.0GHz/1.5v with a 167MHz bus? How much battery life would be saved by going with the 7448? I am trying to decide whether to overclock the current CPU or to have a new one soldered in. Please don't suggest a X86 laptop. I don't want one of those things.

Caincha likes this.
  2. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

You know, an Intel Bay Trail single core probably is just as fast as that thing, mostly due to the piss-poor bus bandwidth. A Bay Trail quad-core would absolutely manhandle it, and those are dirt-cheap. You're going to find it hard to find anyone with much interest in hacking those old things.

Why are you so fixated on PPC? Want to stroke your Big Endian? :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. pxc

pxc Pick your own.....you deserve it.

At the system level, probably less than 10% faster.

If you can even find the parts and someone to do the disassembly, system board PLL reconfiguration and reflow on a new CPU on the board (G4 systems often used resistor configurations for bus/CPU multipliers), what's the point? The last OS X version it can run is 10.5 (last system update: > 5 years ago), and you can run Linux on something much better than what it would cost to upgrade that laptop. I would be surprised if you could find someone to put in a new 7448, excluding the cost of the overpriced 7448 chip itself, for less than $300.

If you want more performance, just sell that one and get an x86 laptop. It will be more useful than that boat anchor. :p If you feel you must have a G4 for whatever reason, get a PowerMac G4 which are dirt cheap on Craigslist.

4. rabidz7

rabidz7 [H]ard|Gawd

I have confidential Apple logicboard schematics for the laptop that list the resistors that control the bus clock, core voltage, and bus-core ratio. There is a BGA rework facility in my city that will do the job. I will take the logic board out myself and have them desolder the old CPU and solder in the new CPU. They will up core voltage to 1.4, set the bus to 200MHz, and push the CPU as fast as it will go. If it has a severe detrimental effect on battery life, I will have them back the voltage down to 1.3v and lower the core clock a bit. I love my PowerBook and I just want a bit of a performance boost. I don't want to use a X86 chip; if I did want one, I would not be using the PowerBook now. I am a PowerPC fanboy. I don't want to support an inferior architecture that was able to beat out PowerPC because of stupid reasons, such as software support and Intel paying off OEMs. I have a "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 that I have overlocked to 480MHz over a 120MHz bus that is used as an emergency back up PC and I have my "Cypher" PowerMac G5 that is my go-to desktop for anything other than gaming.

5. pxc

pxc Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Freescale makes those publicly available and there are web sites which show which PLL input is connected to which resistors on the PowerBook G4 motherboard, along with other groups of resistors for other things. No whispers are necessary.

Apple chose to switch to x86 because even the lame Pentium 4 was beating the G5, which were consuming upwards of 180W *each* (hence the water cooling) in the dual G5 towers. G5 never made it to laptops because heating pads don't work very well as processors.

While you may have bitterness over PPC losing to x86, it wasn't because PPC was superior in any way*. That's just a fact. :p

The problem isn't finding a place to remove and reball a new processor, it's the cost is just not worth it, especially for the minor performance bump. Moving from a 130nm processor to a 90nm processor might save some power, but the difference in speeds and possibly voltage could make typical usage power consumption a wash.

Your likely outcomes are 1) spend hundreds of dollars to get a minimal speed bump on a relic laptop, 2) something goes wrong, you spend hundreds of dollars anyways and wind up with a non-functional relic laptop or 3) see that it's a pretty pointless upgrade and save your money for something more worthwhile.

* a faulty CISC vs RISC point will probably be brought up. The "RISC" PPC had been gaining complexity for years, and couldn't seriously be called RISC in any sense but the ISA; the execution units were becoming as complex as in some "CISC" processors. Starting with Pentium Pro (1995) on the x86 side, Intel moved to decomposing the CISC instructions into simpler micro-ops for very RISC-like execution units. The lines are quite blurry and the whole CISC vs RISC argument has been moot for a while. I only mention this because when someone claims PPC was better they usually depend on Apple's marketing/Jobs' reality distortion field for information.

Brian_B likes this.
  6. rabidz7

rabidz7 [H]ard|Gawd

No sites showed the control resistors on any high-res or 17" PowerBooks before I bought the schematics.

7. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

Everyone is correct, You are pissing away money on this project.

Your time/effort ( would also be cheaper ) to pick up a x86 cpu and do a Frankenstein install of mac os.

8. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

No, for a PowerPC-based system, this is absolutely worth it.
    It's his money, and he can do what he wants with it.

PowerPC still has quite a few uses, and while x86 has an exhaustive software and hardware array, PowerPC (among other architectures) are more than fun to work with and have many applications which can be used on them, specifically.

No RISC, no reward. ;)

Caincha likes this.
  9. Caincha

Caincha n00bie

Old thread and like all others I've read online on the same subject - overclock a Powerbook G4 - this one looks filled with hate for some reason...

What I want to do is to overclock a 1,67ghz PowerBook to the closest I can get to 2ghz using volt mod, fsb mod, gpu mod and even display mod to get something close to 90hz.

No I don't need to do it, but I want to. If it is to run OSX, Lubuntu or MorphOS (more likely) it ain't the point, the point is that I want to O/C my PB and have fun doing it, what's wrong with that..?

And yes I already have an Intel iMac i7 quad fully loaded (SSD, maxed RAM, the works), so can we skip all the nonsense of 'why' and get straight to 'how'? :)

That being said here's what I got so far (pictures and print screens) but the information I need is what is what and which goes where.
    I'm sure I can make it happen as soon as I can make some sense of it and if anyone is willing to share pictures highlighting what and where are the componentes that needs to be modded I appreciate it.

Thank you :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Falcon likes this.
  10. rabidz7

rabidz7 [H]ard|Gawd

Look for the Web archive page on archive.org for www.macxtrem.com