Power went out during Bios Update

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
Power went out while i was updating the bios on my Gigabyte X370 gaming k5 motherboard(ryzen 7)...now it doesn't want to boot or flash anything on thr screen.All i get is power to components and a black screen.
Tried reseting the bios.
Removing the battery.
This doesnt help...
Is there anything else i can do?
I want to spare me the hasle of sending to warranty...
Will this void any warranty i have?Will they be to check it was power outage during bios.update?
Thanks!!

Nothing you can do at this point. BIOS is what tells the everything in the computer how to boot up; without it, nothing in the system knows what to do.

If the BIOS chip is replaceable, you might be able to get Gigabyte to send you a pre-programmed replacement. Otherwise you're going to have to send the board in.

edit: as pointed out by others. Gigabyte boards usually have DualBIOS. Switch the the back up and do a recovery.

Last edited:
This particular model is only single bios.The.next version was dual bios...cheaped out when i got it..

If it's truly the Gaming 5 it has Dual BIOS.

Switch to backup, flash primary. Long live mobo

Had this happen with an Asus X99 Deluxe 2 and was able to re-flash with out even having the CPU installed using Bios-Flashback. Worked like a charm!

The specs says it has dual bios..how ever that would mean i have to press F8 to select dual bios mod,but my screem is completly blank.I know some expensive models have a swich on the actual.motherboard,this doesnt.How do i actualy select the second bios?Screen is just black,nothing shows up.

aren't the Gigabyte's DualBios?

yup.. only potential problem depending on what version of the bios is on the backup is whether or not the OP is using a 2k series cpu.. if he is and the back up bios pre-dates zen+ then he's screwed anyways.

all of their x370 boards have dual bios except the dirt cheap base model GA-AX370M-DS3H.

The specs says it has dual bios..how ever that would mean i have to press F8 to select dual bios mod,but my screem is completly blank.I know some expensive models have a swich on the actual.motherboard,this doesnt.How do i actualy select the second bios?Screen is just black,nothing shows up.

try this. http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/17475/thread bottom post of that thread.

looking further into it the k5 seems to be one of those boards where they give you all the "features" of the higher end boards but without any way to actually use them since the gaming 5 board has all the switches and buttons that the k5 doesn't have (case in point why i absolutely hate Gigabytes naming scheme).

Last edited:

There are two switches. Top switch and bottom switch With numbers 1 and 2
The top and bottom swtich are probably on 1.
Flip the top switch to 2 (to the left) it should boot off the backup BIOS. Then when you're in the backup BIOS, flip it back to 1 and flash the main BIOS.

There are two switches. Top switch and bottom switch With numbers 1 and 2
The top and bottom swtich are probably on 1.
Flip the top switch to 2 (to the left) it should boot off the backup BIOS. Then when you're in the backup BIOS, flip it back to 1 and flash the main BIOS.

k5 doesn't have the switch, the normal gaming 5 and k7 do.

I found this. No idea if its worth a shit though

Method 1

1. Shut off your computer
  2. Hold the power button until your computer starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the backup BIOS if there's anything wrong with the new one.
Method 2

1. Shut off your computer
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
  3. It should boot into the backup BIOS now.
Method 3
Only use this if nothing else works.

1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip by attaching a jumper to both the pins (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
  2. Tell a friend to press the power on button while you do this because right now you are holding the jumper on the pins
  3. Remove the jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
  4. Backup BIOS should boot now.

Have you tried turning the computer on and simply leaving it on for 1-2 minutes? Some BIOS have an auto-default feature, typically for failed overclocking, that kicks in when it knows it doesn't post automatically. If that doesn't work, I would also try power on-> wait 20 seconds -> reset button -> wait 20 seconds -> reset button -> wait for 1 minute and see what happens.

Guess i am unlucky.
I did read the manual,there is no mention of dual bios,only mention how to reset the bios.
None of the methods mentioned above work,i can't get it to boot to anything...screen always black.Guess the dual bios is just a gimick on the box for my particular board.
Really apreciate all the help tho,hardforum is hard

Guess i am unlucky.
I did read the manual,there is no mention of dual bios,only mention how to reset the bios.
None of the methods mentioned above work,i can't get it to boot to anything...screen always black.Guess the dual bios is just a gimick on the box for my particular board.
Really apreciate all the help tho,hardforum is hard

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/3277/ga-ax370-gaming-suddenly-post
Ive got the same board K5 board and have had this problem since i opened it. Ive never had a board this troublesome. Especially from gigabyte. Anyways, the only way ive been able to force to boot into the backup bios is to 1- power down the system. Once powered down hold the power and reset button together for about 10 secs and release. That should force the backup bios to take over. method 2- Shut your PC down, Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again, Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it. Honestly ive only got method 1 to work. I flashed to f20 and it was problems from then on. Bricked my main bios. Got it to boot using method 1 and noticed i was on F5a bios. So that was the default backup bios. From there i flashed to f10 and "so far" its been ok. Im guessing it reflashed the main bios with f10 somehow. IDK. but so far its working. I feel your pain with this board...lol

Another: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/4264/ax370-gaming-corrupted-main-bios

You can flash it yourself for about $20-30 in hardware if you do some research. Spend more and you can get into the user friendly gear.

I have the tools but still only buy boards with empty flash capabilities if I can help it. Way better option than dual bios IMO, especially if you are getting a cpu upgrade.

Bingo. I'd also point out that if its got DualBIOS, you can switch to the secondary and in some cases even copy that ROM over to the primary. In single BIOS instances, all is not necessarily lost. There are often recovery methods to reflash the UEFI BIOS even when the flash was unsuccessful or was interrupted.

Incorrect. As I said, there are often procedures for flashing a BIOS after a bad flash. Additionally, no one uses removable BIOS ROM chips aside from ASUS and ASRock. ASUS doesn't even do it 100% of the time anymore. I don't believe ASRock does it on its cheaper models. That said, ASRock has one of the most resilient flashing programs out there. You can pull a power plug from the PSU mid-flash and it simply resumes when you plug the system back in. ASRock actually told us this and we tested it after completing the rest of the testing and it worked. Now, I don't know if every ASRock board has that feature or not, but when it does it works very well.

It depends on what part of the BIOS programming was interrupted. If it's the boot block, you're almost always screwed. DualBIOS on this board seems to rely on the boot block of the primary BIOS being intact.

I just went through the manual for your motherboard, Florin22xxl, and it looks to me like you are hosed. I will tell you this, being able to flash EFI on these boards with nothing more than a flash drive is a big plus when it comes to features. It has saved me twice in the last week as to diagnosing issues.

Make sure your reset switch is hooked up. I've noticed that quite a few new cases only come with a power switch, and even if they do it's easy for you to forget to hook it up (since you hardly need it anymore).

Then you can try method 1 posted above, which people day is the most reliable .

It depends on what part of the BIOS programming was interrupted. If it's the boot block, you're almost always screwed. DualBIOS on this board seems to rely on the boot block of the primary BIOS being intact.

Fair point. Though I can count on one hand all the BIOS updates I have seen fail over the years. I've updated far more BIOS' ROMs than most people. In the IT industry, I update them all the time, though we have tools for doing hundreds of systems at once. Having reviewed motherboards for more than a decade, I've updated my fair share. Having had probably 40 motherboards myself, I've done it countless times. I think I've had one of my own fail and one fail on the test bench. I've seen a couple more as a service technician. Its pretty rare though. On my personal machines, I always use a UPS so that power failures aren't a concern.

Back