Power supply suggestions

Bennyb

2[H]4U
Im in the market for a new powersupply because the one i have is just TOO loud... Its gotta be able to handle:

3 harddrives
4 fans
2 cdromdrives (burner and dvd burner)
sound card
network card
9800pro

I want it to be SILENT... any suggestions?

I bought an Enermax Noisetaker 420W a couple weeks ago and i like it. Rails are nice and stable, and even with the fans on the highest rpm you can barely even hear them.

The only problems that i have with it is the cables are kinda short, and the sleeving on the main ATX cable is pretty stiff. Other than those two things, it's a good psu.

I know that when i have mine's fan at full blast it sounds like a 747. When its turned down its relativly silent. Is the Antec True really COMPLETLY silent?

Blown Cap said:
I bought an Enermax Noisetaker 420W a couple weeks ago and i like it. Rails are nice and stable, and even with the fans on the highest rpm you can barely even hear them.

The only problems that i have with it is the cables are kinda short, and the sleeving on the main ATX cable is pretty stiff. Other than those two things, it's a good psu.
These are especially nice because they have 2 seperate +12v lines, one @ 15a the other @ 16a ;)

They are supposedly near silent with seemingly quite a few satisfied users.

ima gonna pick up the antec trueblue480 in about 2-3 weeks. i hear its pretty good also :)

Three votes for the Antec True 430. Very quiet & stable, has SATA ends and lots of molex connecters too. The fans adjust their speed according to the temperature, so as long as your case isn't way hot you wont hear it.

after owning an Antec TrueControl 550, i can not recommend it to anyone.

even after adjusting the rails they were still too low and fluctuated too much. i measured the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails with my DMM and they showed up as 11.3v, 4.2v and 2.8v. it was totally unacceptable.

i ended up buying a PCP&C 510 Deluxe, which isn't exactly a "quiet" PSU, but can be special ordered with a quieter fan. if the PCP&C is out of your price range, the Sparkle/Fortron Source PSUs are VERY solid units. the 400w unit with a 120mm fan is supposed to be quiet and have solid rails. i would also suggest waiting to see how the new OCZ PSUs do. they have very impressive specs.

I've got Antec right now (hate antec) but I'm dreaming of getting an Enermax "Noisetaker"....ah, thats one awesome PSU.

All I can say is to get a known name-brand. Not some cheapie newcomer PSU with a few good reviews. And to buy a product with a warranty that 3+ years because you know they are willing to stand behind their work.

CompMage said:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-20.html

If that is not quiet enough for you nothing is. Runs in a video capture system
P4 2.8c SP-94 /w Vantec 92mm Steath
DVDRW
CDRW
DVD-ROM
4x 80 ATA100
9600Pro A-I-W
5 Fans (Vantec 80mm Steaths)

Should work for you.

Yeah, that looks really nice... But would only 400 do it?

On a side note, how quiet are the 80mm Stealths? Im just using the stock fans that came with my coolermaster case so... i think almost anything would be an upgrade. Plus, these fans move hardly ANY AIR.

Bennyb said:
Yeah, that looks really nice... But would only 400 do it?

On a side note, how quiet are the 80mm Stealths? Im just using the stock fans that came with my coolermaster case so... i think almost anything would be an upgrade. Plus, these fans move hardly ANY AIR.

400 would most definatley cover it, read the FAQ, there is some good info about quality vs. quantity. I'm running a pair of Vantec Stealths in my system, and boy are they quiet, a whole lot quieter than the stock ones that came w/ my Lian Li. Still, they really don't move too much air.

I run one and it is very quiet, or more acurately i don hear it over my other case fans. Not as pricey as the 510 deluxe and it is rock solid. The 510 makes sense if your an exstreme overclocker and want adjustable rails other wise dont spend the exstra money the 425 will take just about anything you toss at it as it relates to components.

Bennyb

That system is in the Cool Master Patorian case. I can hardly hear them over the sound of the hard drives. I'm going to be switching out the 92mm steath for a no name fan I found that is really quiet with twice the CFM. Sorry I don't have a model number for this fan I found. No markings eh it works.

But yea the Vantec Steath fans are worth every penny. Just make sure you have as little airflow problems as you can since they don't put out alot of CFM. Good luck.

Well, i turned off my 2 intakes the only fans that are really running are:

2 blowers, 1 is pretty loud.
CPU fan on zalman 7000 cu, at lowest rpm, basiclly silent.
Northbridge fan which is quite loud if you can believe it
2 powersupply fans which have been discussed
one of those pci blowers which seems to be dying already *sigh*
and the 9800 pros stock fan.

Im probably gonna say its the harddrives but... w/e

The Antec TruPower 430 is not silent! It is fairly quiet, but is the loudest thing in my system. The Enermax Noisetaker 420 is much quieter, the efficency is higher so it generates less heat and noise.

I use the Vantec Stealth 80mm for a CPU fan on my XP-Mobile and it works well. With the case closed, it can't be heard when the computer is on the floor. The only thing I hear is the 80mm fan on my Antec PSU. If you want a really quiet 80mm fan, the Panaflo L series is great! The NMB 80mm fan is very quiet also...very, very quiet. For case fans, use the Panaflo L or NMB fans...CPU use, get the Stealth.

Back