Power supply shortage?

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Im in the market for a power supply and it looks like everything is OOS. Ive noticed SF power supplies are trading like gold to. Anyone know the scoop?

Reactions: erek
like this
Microcenter I was at last week was fully stocked but selling above where everything was pricewise before the pandemic. Stuff is out there, but like turd wipes....you are going to be paying outthe ass at the moment.

I got lucky and managed to snag a Seasonic Focus Plus GX-650 off Newegg a couple weeks ago for $115. I say lucky only because it was in stock. I bought the same PSU for my son's system a year ago and only paid $97 from Amazon. That said, Microcenter had the same PSU in stock but wanted $140 for it.

Being able to get your hands on a quality PSU right now is rather difficult. Getting one and not getting ripped off is practically impossible.

welp i guess a trip to microcenter is in order for this weekend. closest one has 10+ of everything in stock. I need to get RAM and a cpu cooler as well.

Getcha a Meanwell medical psu and one of those plug-in DC units + distro board. If you're gonna pay out the ass, might as well go [H]ard! ;)

picked up a Corsair RM750x a few days ago through Amazon...seems like all the big retailers (Newegg, Amazon etc) got a new shipment in

Getcha a Meanwell medical psu and one of those plug-in DC units + distro board. If you're gonna pay out the ass, might as well go [H]ard! ;)

Switching power supply's do not have enough MOJO. How about making up a linear power supply with using a transformer that has out put leads for 24 volts, 10 volts & 6.6 volts, and only taking the positive to a good full wave rectifier to get the smooth D.C. with good capacitors at the out put.
The result may be too much MOJO. If a short circuit, the wires would melt the insulation off and the PCB would fry. A fuse is to protect the wire. Each output wire should be fused by all rights, or a thermal protection component. This would maybe take up more space than the ATX PSU, and have to be outside the computer.
What are your thoughts concerning using a linear power supply?

Switching power supply's do not have enough MOJO. How about making up a linear power supply with using a transformer that has out put leads for 24 volts, 10 volts & 6.6 volts, and only taking the positive to a good full wave rectifier to get the smooth D.C. with good capacitors at the out put.
The result may be too much MOJO. If a short circuit, the wires would melt the insulation off and the PCB would fry. A fuse is to protect the wire. Each output wire should be fused by all rights, or a thermal protection component. This would maybe take up more space than the ATX PSU, and have to be outside the computer.
Linear power supplies are at best 60-70% efficient, and have horrendous output stability. And there’s nothing inherently better about their ability to supply large amounts of power, unless you happen to need a combination PSU and space heater.

Any good ATX PSU is going to have overcurrent and overtemp protection built in.

No.

Linear power supplies are at best 60-70% efficient, and have horrendous output stability. And there’s nothing inherently better about their ability to supply large amounts of power, unless you happen to need a combination PSU and space heater.

Any good ATX PSU is going to have overcurrent and overtemp protection built in.

When working with electronics, usually we would power off and then be very careful not to short anything out. If we did, we see sparks and can easily burn off the copper foil of a circuit board. Happens all the time. But with computers, it is different. Most people do not want to get their feet wet thinking they will short something out and destroy their computer. A concept of busing together and just inserting a card into a slot on a mother board would not instantly seem right. Still wondering if damage can easily happen. With a computer PSU, and 250 Watts, you just pull down the PSU's voltage and have no effect other than the PSU does not turn on.
I only show that I am using less than 150 watts on my OCCT6.1.1 program, of my 750 watt power supply. The 750 watt rating means MAX. The rated power is only 550 watts. Only recently have I seen sparks when trying to connect external power for
a eSATA, when I did not know what I was doing, and melted the wires, until I quickly disconnected it. Never have I had that happen with computers before in all these years.

Microcenter I was at last week was fully stocked but selling above where everything was pricewise before the pandemic. Stuff is out there, but like turd wipes....you are going to be paying outthe ass at the moment.

I built a computer for a friend a couple of weeks ago using parts mostly obtained from Microcenter. They had two or three models of Seasonic units in massive quantities and everything else was pretty much out of stock. There were a few Corsair units of various ratings, but mostly on the low end. Other brands were present too, but only a model or so of each. Again, mostly ultra low end or super high end. All priced a bit higher than usual.

When working with electronics, usually we would power off and then be very careful not to short anything out. If we did, we see sparks and can easily burn off the copper foil of a circuit board. Happens all the time. But with computers, it is different. Most people do not want to get their feet wet thinking they will short something out and destroy their computer. A concept of busing together and just inserting a card into a slot on a mother board would not instantly seem right. Still wondering if damage can easily happen. With a computer PSU, and 250 Watts, you just pull down the PSU's voltage and have no effect other than the PSU does not turn on.
I only show that I am using less than 150 watts on my OCCT6.1.1 program, of my 750 watt power supply. The 750 watt rating means MAX. The rated power is only 550 watts. Only recently have I seen sparks when trying to connect external power for
a eSATA, when I did not know what I was doing, and melted the wires, until I quickly disconnected it. Never have I had that happen with computers before in all these years.
Accidentally plugged in the 4-pin cpu power while the system was on the other day– nice little spark out of that. MB still works, thankfully.

trip to MC was a success. Got a EVGA 850w and about 300 dollars worth of other stuff and got my GFs system up and running for her birthday.

My microcenter is Sharonville, OH. Their PSU shelves were fully stocked.

Back