Power supply or video card issue?

zapian_

Weaksauce
I just got a new video card and a couple of days ago i reformatted my hard drive and i made sure all drivers were up to date including the MB chipset. Recently, i've been getting a weird problem, the problem only appear when i'm playing games, the power suddenly shuts off without any warning. It shuts off just as if the user was to use the POWER switch. If i try to power it back on it wouldnt, i actually have to turn off and turn on the switch on the power supply so that the POWER button would work again.

Seems like oveheating issues is not the problem though:
  • CPU temp - 29 / 38
  • MB temp - 26 / 31
  • Video card temp - 41 / 58
  • No errors found on Memory
  • Up-to-date Drivers (OS freshly installed)
  • Virus/Spyware free

Also note, using ASUS probe, i managed to do some recording on the power supply voltage right before it starts to shut off. Records dont seem to show any voltage fluctuation.

So, is my new vid card the problem even though im hoping not, i mean the temp seems to be fine and all? If so, is it really that possbile for the video card to make the system shut off completely?

----------------
My System spec:
----------------
Asus P4C800-E
P4 2.8 /533
1gb ddr333
Sapphire Radeon X800 XL
Windows XP sp2
Coolmax 400W power supply

Just so we could rule out your PSU as the cause (or blame it all on the PSU depending) could you be more specific on exactly which model Coolmax 400w PSU (which is scary to begin with) you have or give us the specs off it? And while we're at it, the rest of your system (Hard Drive(s), Optical Drive(s), Floppy Drive, Sound Card, Case Fans, etc.).

Looking at their claimed specs, the Coolmax 400w PSU's are rated at about 18A on the +12v Rail. You could be cutting that very close. And that's assuming the Coolmax can actually live up to it's claims.

The actual PSU i have can be found here and i have this for 3 months now.

My complete system:
Asus P4C800-E
P4 2.8 /533
1gb ddr333
Sapphire Radeon X800 XL
Windows XP sp2
Coolmax 400W power supply
-Two HDD (7200)
-Thermaltake Tsunami Case (2x120mm and 1x90mm fans)
-DVD-RW
-Creative Sound Card

I know what you mean by scary PSU but does this mean i can safely say that my video card is not at fault here? I really wish i have a spare PSU to support this. :confused:

well, I would say it's the psu...I wouldn't have thrown the x800XL on a coolmax lol...switch the psu out...it will probably fix the problem..

Back