Power supply making a sound

Redmud

Weaksauce
Hello Guys,

My Power supply started to make a barely audible high pitch sound (I am assuming it is the power supply). It makes this sound when the computer is off as well as when it is on. I unplug it and the sound goes away. It was very hot as my heat pump went out over the last few days. Does this mean my power supply is heading to an unplanned death?

Thanks

barely audible? Sounds normal then. If I put my ear to my electronics, I can hear them as well.

Thanks

Not under warranty.

I can hear it just being in the room I don't have to be close, and it just started it this weekend.

in that case, why don't you give us the full system specs, especially power supply make and model, as well as age.

The system is a PowerSpec G413. Power supply looks to be an Allied 500W SL-8500BTX.

Intel® Core™ i7 - 4790K Processor
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 System Board
16GB composed of 2- 8192MB DDR3/1600 DIMMS
Toshiba 2TB 7200 RPM
240GB SATA Solid State Drive
DVD ±R/±RW Drive
Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW Drive
Video GTX980

The system is a PowerSpec G413. Power supply looks to be an Allied 500W SL-8500BTX.

Intel® Core™ i7 - 4790K Processor
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 System Board
16GB composed of 2- 8192MB DDR3/1600 DIMMS
Toshiba 2TB 7200 RPM
240GB SATA Solid State Drive
DVD ±R/±RW Drive
Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW Drive
Video GTX980

That is a fucking Apex PSU! AKA Deer, L&C, Solytech. You need to remove that flaming dumpster fire before it kills your Pc, house, you and your dog.
I'm beyond belief that it lasted this long with a 980, smh. That is among the worse PSU manufactures to own.

Back