Power Supply makes chirping sound?

Svengali

Limp Gawd
Hi I've been finding that my PC makes a kind of chirping sound thats been driving me up the wall. When I turn it off the sound continues, so I figured it was from outside and not the PC itself. But when I actually remove the power cord from the PSU the chirping dies down and stops. Sounds like it might be the PSU fan?

stick a pencil in the fan blades to stop the fan for a second, chirping stops, you found the problem.

dont go inside the power supply unless you know what you are doing or post back here for instuctions on how to discharge the capacitors before doing any surgery. Fan replacement in a PSU can be easy but the PSU can bite the hello out of you.

It's highly recommended that you stay out of "surgery" with your PSU unless you really know what you're doing. You can die from a charge of electricity if the PSU is not properly discharged.

I had a chirping/fan blade grinding sound on my Ultra-X power supply and I found out it was the fan out of position and with a worn ball bearing (it was purchased new).

Oh and don't abruptly pull the power cord off the PSU while its on, that's never good.

reread you post while looking to see if you bothered to come back.

Your PSU is dying, its not the fan. Get another before it blows something up.

turn it off the sound continues
remove the power cord from the PSU the chirping dies down and stops

I mean if I turn the PC off, it still makes the sound, it only dies down if I pull the PSU plug out once the PC is off. And I hope its not dying, I've replaced like half the parts in this VM PC already. And its only a year old soon..Doesn't bode well to me.

I mean if I turn the PC off, it still makes the sound, it only dies down if I pull the PSU plug out once the PC is off. And I hope its not dying, I've replaced like half the parts in this VM PC already. And its only a year old soon..Doesn't bode well to me.
RMA it! :D

How bad is it to unplug power to PC cold while its on and 2 or more hdds are lightly being accessed

So im 100% sure its the power supply now. I turned the PC off, and of course it was still making the sound. So I put my hand behind the fan of the power supply, and whaddya know its still blowing air, but the exhaust fan on the case was off. I wasn't aware that power supplies' fans still keep going when the PC is off.

Anywho, of course when I pull the plug on the PSU (while pc is off of course!) the fan stops, and subsequently the sound does as well. *Sigh* So im guessing its one of the two PSU fans (one exhausting out the case and the one on the bottom of the PSU) thought I don't know which...

My only option is to RMA? No way to correct a psu fan squeak/chirp? The PC performance hasn't been odd at all lately or anything. It's just the sound, its driving me up the wall. It's even worse because its so faint.

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. My PSU is making a high-pitched whine that gets louder when it's off. The only way to stop it is to 1.) Take out the power cord (which causes the noise to get louder for a second or two before it fizzles out) or 2.) Take out internet cable connection. For option number two, which I found out by accident, the sound doesn't go away completely but it's quiet enough as to not be annoying.

Also, when I want to turn the computer on, if I plug in the power cord (or internet cable) and turn the computer on right away, the monitor will stay in power-saving mode for around 45 minutes before booting up. However, if I plug in the power cord/internet cable, wait 5 minutes and then turn it on, it boots up right away.

Anyway, I'm going to be buying a new PSU and hope that it fixes the problem. Kinda disappointed that this one only lasted a little over two years.

I once let a dead raidmax go for awhile even though it was crashing my pc.

All I got out of that was a dead g15.

I've learned my lesson, and you should too. Before this gets very expensive. Replace that psu!

Well its a VM (Velocity Micro) PC, if it blows anything up its all under warranty :p But I am having it replaced, much to my displeasure.

As for the other guy its not the same issue, I have absolutely zero performance issues from it. And the squeak/chirp is very faint, I can barely hear it sometimes. It doesn't sound like something is seriously wrong, its just nagging. But VM wants to replace it, so, might as well. This pc is only a year old and I've almost replaced half of it by now, its just really inconvenient.

Back