Power supply going bad? (Asus power surge detected, cpu fan going up and down quickly

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Earlier today out of the blue my computer just randomly shut itself off, when it came back on I had a message come up on my screen:

"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!""

After the first time this happened my computer came on just fine and I didn't think much of it, just a random thing.

Then later tonight my computer was in sleep mode, I came back and hit a key to bring it out and it did this again.

However after this now my CPU fan is just constantly revving up for a few seconds (about 15) then it slows back down, then it revs right back up, over and over and over.

After this started I shut off the pc and opened it up, made sure all the connections from the psu were on, the cpu fan>cooler>motherboard were in, etc.

I googled the Asus power surge message and see a lot of people saying it's overly sensitive and to turn it off, however this was the first time I have got this message (had the computer about 3 years).

My specs are:

Asus z68-v pro gen 3 motherboard
H100 cooler for psu w/ gentle typhoons in push/pull
Corsair HX 850w PSU
Intel 2600k
8gb ram

I have tried to see my temps/fan, speedfan seems to have a problem with my motherboard (I can't control the fans with it) but the cpu fan I can see from the chart in the monitor of speedfan keeps going from 3500rpm to 3800 over and over and over.

I then tried HWmonitor to look at temps, the cpu cores are reporting all around 30c for temps and the voltages are saying 0.9-1.2 (min/max).

I just can not figure out why my cpu fan keeps revving up and down up and down, it's driving me nuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit - I just downloaded and used the Asus suite tools (those are supposed to work for my mobo) and it's reporting that the 3.3 rail is at 2.94, is that a bad thing? A sign my psu is dying?

Last edited:
1) I googled the Asus power surge message and see a lot of people saying it's overly sensitive and to turn it off, however this was the first time I have got this message (had the computer about 3 years).
2) I have tried to see my temps/fan, speedfan seems to have a problem with my motherboard (I can't control the fans with it) but the cpu fan I can see from the chart in the monitor of speedfan keeps going from 3500rpm to 3800 over and over and over.
3) edit - I just downloaded and used the Asus suite tools (those are supposed to work for my mobo) and it's reporting that the 3.3 rail is at 2.94, is that a bad thing? A sign my psu is dying?

1) & 3) : You are giving the answer yourself !! You have the same system for 3 years and only now it appears the Asus powersurge message, so it's not a matter of sensitivity of the software. Also the 2.94 voltage at 3.3V rail, it's a huge deviation from normal !! :eek:
So these 2 combined, makes me certain that you must change your PSU !!
2) About the speedfan i can't tell you, maybe it's related with the PSU problem or maybe it can be fixed from Asus's mobo utilities software.

EDIT: Do you have a UPS or the power passes directly from your PSU? If you have a UPS, then the problem could be related with the UPS also.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is grab a multimeter and test the voltageshttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Power_supply

Does sound like you need a new one though.

try powering off the PSU switch, then disconnect the PSU from the power outlet let it rest more or less 30-45 min. and plug again.. sometimes PSUs need to reset some dirty energy from the circuitry, that help.. do not trust in software voltage readings grab a multimeter and test yourself 3.3v 5v and 12v..

Yeah thanks for the tips, I ended up getting a new Seasonic psu and the problems stoped.

Sending the Corsair in to RMA for refund.

i just got that same error msg today

"Power Supply Surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!"

psu is a corsair ax850

Back