Power supply for r9 280x

proja26

n00b
I just got r9 280x GPU and i was wondering what cheap power supply is good for it. Can ATX Gembird GMB-650-12, 650W 12cm do the work?

I would guess on stock it is close to 250w on the 12v rail to run, I have had luck in the past with a 7970 ghz( same gpu i believe) dropping voltage and getting a better power draw, so you are probably good with that psu.

I would guess on stock it is close to 250w on the 12v rail to run, I have had luck in the past with a 7970 ghz( same gpu i believe) dropping voltage and getting a better power draw, so you are probably good with that psu.

The R9 280x will definitely pull 250W and more. Some cards pulled close to 300W and more when overclocked, it was a very power hungry furnace of a card.

https://www.techspot.com/review/841...nsumption & Temperatures,and 53 watts at idle.

I had an XFX R9 280x DoubleD for a number of years. It was a great card but the power consumption and heat output was ridiculous under load. Turning off the boost clocks and keeping it at the stock 850 MHz did a lot to manage power consumption, but it did make the performance of the card fall off pretty hard.

OP, you won't want to get a cheap power supply. The R9 280x will make quick work of killing it, and in the process probably kill itself and the rest of the system. I've never even heard of the Gembird brand and can't find much information on it. I would recommend something like a Cooler Master, Antec, Thermaltake or Corsair power supply in the 650W range. Never go cheap on power supplies because the end result is always going to be blown up hardware and expensive problems.

Never even heard of a Gembird, so I would say no, don't get it. The PSU is the backbone of your system, and you don't want to go low quality on it. A low quality PSU can take down your components if it fails, and in a worst case scenario it can actually catch on fire.

What's your budget and what do you have available to you?

Back