Power supply for HTPC

quiktake

Gawd
I's for a non overclocked, nongaming, guest computer/htpc. The antec has 22db (about a whisper) and only has a 6pin pcix connector for the graphics card.

So, kingwin for long term or antec for cheap. I assume they are equal in quality/reliability, with Kingwin obviously having better performance.

Any thoughts?

I can't decide if I should go for the Kingwin
KINGWIN Absolute Platinum Series AP-550 550W $81 shipped plus tax

This is the non-modular version of the Lazer Platinum that Hardocp reviewed. Identical specs except for a 3yr warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121094

or this:
Antec Earthwatts EA-430 Green PSU ($29)
http://www.frys.com/product/7370634?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It's for a non overclocked, nongaming, guest computer/htpc. The antec has 22db (about a whisper) and only has a 6pin pcix connector for the graphics card.

So, kingwin for long term or antec for cheap. I assume they are equal in quality/reliability, with Kingwin obviously having better performance.

Any thoughts?

Why not get one of these?

Dead silent (I pulled it from the case and held it up to my ear with the fan running), perfect for an HTPC. Super cheap.

I just put a cx430w in the htpc I just finished and I agree it is whisper quiet.
This same power supply was also in the my living room pc for nearly 2 years prior to being moved to the htpc. That pc also sees daily use, and so reliability isn't an issue.
I also saw the cx430w for 20 AR in an email promo for Newegg just today.

I was always told to avoid cheaper power supplies as a general rule. And I have heard the newer cx430w is not as good as the older 400watt unit it replaced. Don't get me wrong. I love corsair, but looking at newegg reviews there are definitely some occasional, unreliable units.

I am leaning toward the Kingwin as a long term never need to upgrade solution. Plus it can handle my 6950 or similar card down the line. I realize it is overkill, though.

Unless someone can offer a better solution? Thanks for any more advice.

Yes, the first one I got was DOA but Newegg replaced it on their dime and I paid $16 after rebate. Considering it's for a non-gaming, essentially 100% stock system for minimal processing use, I would go with the cheapest PS you can get (assuming it's not total garbage). No reason to overthink this.

edit: 430W will be plenty unless you plan on ever putting in a top-line video card (GTX680-level).

All my pcs have corsair and no problems. Cx430, cx500, and hx850. I love each psu too.
Never had to rma one but that's just me.

I was always told to avoid cheaper power supplies as a general rule. And I have heard the newer cx430w is not as good as the older 400watt unit it replaced. Don't get me wrong. I love corsair, but looking at newegg reviews there are definitely some occasional, unreliable units.

I am leaning toward the Kingwin as a long term never need to upgrade solution. Plus it can handle my 6950 or similar card down the line. I realize it is overkill, though.

Unless someone can offer a better solution? Thanks for any more advice.

They don't hand out 80 Plus Bronze certifications lightly. If you see the cert, I'd give it a closer look.

A few questions for you:

1) Does this HTPC/PC need to be very quiet as it sits in a common area? (fanless PS?)
2) Will it be on 24/7? (higher efficiency may be beneficial depending on your energy costs)
3) Is the case that houses this cramped? (modular may be an option)
4) Any other specs on the PC?

I went ahead and got the kingwin unit. It should handle any layout short of extreme SLI or crossfire situations.

My current Seasonic 750x will probaby go into the htpc because it's modular. I can always swap it back in if I need the extra power. I have never heard the seasonic fan run. The htpc probably won't run that much, so I prefer the better efficiency for my main gaming/surfing pc.

The kingwins LZPs are great (haven't tried AP). I have a 650 and an 850. After seeing mines, 3 friends have also gotten one (1 650 and 2 850). The fan doesn't kick on till you are over 500w and there is zero whine (I am VERY sensitive to high pitch noises).

Back