Power supply for GTX 480

bobzdar

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a GTX 480 and would like to try it out in my system, but Nvidia recommends a 600W PSU. I have a 550W Antec PSU that has 3 12V rails and looks like it can put out a max of 37A on the 12V rail. The rest of the system is in the sig. I'll obviously pull the 8800GT out as I don't have anything that uses Physx anyway. Best I can tell, the Antec PSU should be able to handle it, but wanted to get some opinions before I fired it up. I do plan to upgrade the PSU if I keep the 480 in the system.

Last edited:
as long as you don't oc the 480 and/or your cpu, you will be okay for a little while. I certainly would not run furmark though.

really I cant understand why you would buy a hot, noisy, power hog like the gtx480 when there are much better options out there. plus the fact that you need to get a new psu defeats any deal that you may have have gotten.

What if the deal were that I got the card for free?

I would have gone for a 6850 or something similar if I were buying a card. I'm a mentor on a FIRST robotics team and they handed out GTX480's to all of the teams at the competition this year, and I'm the only one with a computer that could make use of the card. I don't game much on the computer anyway, the card would be more for autocad and inventor, but I wanted to give it a try as long as it doesn't blow up my PSU.

Last edited:
That's way, way overkill for autocad and inventor. They hardly need a 3d graphics card at all.

I've imported enough objects in inventor to slow it down before, though generally I agree. I do run iRacing and have a copy of Batman: AA lying around that I've never played, so it'd get some use on rainy days. Seems like it'll be ok for some limited use, which is all I'll use it for.

Back