Power supply for dual 2.8 and Geforce 6800 Ultra?

Diseaseboy

[H]ard|Gawd
Is an Antec 550watt powersupply enough to run 2- 2.8 Xeons with EMT64 , a Asus NCCH-DL motherboard, 2 sticks of 512 pc3100 memory, 2 cd-rom drives, 2 serial ATA hard drives and a Geforce 6800 Ultra?

it should have enough power, but make sure you get the correct model with the SSI connectors for your MB, it will make the board more stable. I know that they will run off of a ATX psu, but i had stability issues with my first pc-dl and then upgraded from 550watt ATX to a 550 SSI power supply and ths stabbility issues went away.

personally I would run dual psu like I do only with bigger supplies... course if you use an ATX for secondary you will not need a relay you will need to run a different mod. you can google for it...

you can run alot on a good power supply like antec. I've got dual opterons, 6 harddrives, (2 10k raptors, non raid, 1 250 gig and 3x10 gig 10k scsi's on a 64 bit raid card), and gffx6800 gt oc, and two cd/dvd drives running, and have yet to have an power issues with the system running a fortron 550 eps12v.

Diseaseboy said:
Is an Antec 550watt powersupply enough to run 2- 2.8 Xeons with EMT64 , a Asus NCCH-DL motherboard, 2 sticks of 512 pc3100 memory, 2 cd-rom drives, 2 serial ATA hard drives and a Geforce 6800 Ultra?

Yep, it'll be plenty. I've got a rack of dual Xeons with as many as 6 drives each that are loaded nearly all day long - and they've only got 325 watt power supplies.

In fact, I've measured actual power draw at the wall on a number of dual-proc systems, and I have yet to see one that actually draws more than 325 watts - but that's without the 6800 Ultra, which will add an extra 80 watts or so under full load.

I do have a couple of machines for which the 550-watt power supply simply wouldn't cut it, but they've both got 4 processers and a whole lot of disks. :D

steve

NerveGas said:
Yep, it'll be plenty. I've got a rack of dual Xeons with as many as 6 drives each that are loaded nearly all day long - and they've only got 325 watt power supplies.

In fact, I've measured actual power draw at the wall on a number of dual-proc systems, and I have yet to see one that actually draws more than 325 watts - but that's without the 6800 Ultra, which will add an extra 80 watts or so under full load.

I do have a couple of machines for which the 550-watt power supply simply wouldn't cut it, but they've both got 4 processers and a whole lot of disks. :D

steve
may i ask what all that is for?

I am running the exact same setup now with that PSU. The only differance is I have an Iwill DH800.

vapb400 said:
may i ask what all that is for?

They're servers that I maintain at work. I wish I could afford that kind of stuff for myelf. :D

Of all of the servers we have (even the quad-Xeon and quad-Opterons), the machine I most lust after is a machine we use just to keep point-in-time snapshots, it's got a 2.4 terabyte array in it. With something like that, I wouldn't even have to burn DVDs, I could just keep all of the ISOs on the file server!

steve

i have the exact setup, but my 2.4's @ 2.9ghz
6800gt
4 sata drives in raid, 1 ide for storage

make sure its the EPS12V version

Back