Power supply advice...is a 430W enough for my system?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
My system has an Antec Truepower II 480W from 2007 or so. It had been working fine, but I've recently had stability problems. Popped the PSU open and yep, leaking caps :(

So I need to get a replacement. Here's my system specs:
- AMD Phenom x4 840 (95W TDP)
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P (basic AM3+ MicroATX board)
- 2x4GB DDR3 memory
- ATI Radeon 5770
- 500GB WD Greenpower
- DVD+/-RW drive
- Antec P180 case with 3 fans

I actually went to the store and bought an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W for $45 after rebate, but haven't opened it. It's made by Sirtec, which I've read mixed things about. It's 80-Plus certified, supports SLI, and is modular...which are nice, but I don't *need* any of those features.

Or I could get the Corsair CX430 V2 for $25 after rebate. I've read much better things about Corsair. It doesn't have any fancy features and I'll need to upgrade if I ever want to do SLI or anything (don't plan on it in the near future). And it only has 28A on the +12V rail, whereas my current unit has dual +12V rails with 18A each. (But from what I understand, sometimes a single rail is better than dual rails?)

So should the 430W unit suffice? the PSU calculator suggested I get at least a 320W unit with my system load. I run my system around the clock, so I want something that will be able to handle that. And I do want to have a little wiggle room if I decide to upgrade to a slightly more power-hungry CPU/GPU or install another hard drive.

Thanks all!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The OCZ MXS Pro 500 is not a bad unit, not a particularly spectacular one either, power wise you won't have any issues with either of the two units, both are more than plenty for your rig, but both do lack in efficiency which is not cool for a system that runs 24/7.
Single Rail vs Multi-Rail is a long discussion.. generally, Multi-Rail units are safer/better solutions, but the single rail ones seem to appeal to a lot of brain dead people who can't seem to wrap their heads around a basic concept like a multi-rail PSU.
However, seeing more A on a multi-rail unit than a similarly labeled single rail unit does not mean superior output for the multi-rail one, because the combined output of multi-rail PSUs is not calculated by multiplying the total Amps with the voltage(like in the case of single rail units), it's a little more complicated than that :)

As a suggestion, if you can spare the money, get the XFX Core 450W unit, it's superior to both of the above mentioned ones, provides better efficiency and two PCIe connectors, which will help with possible future upgrades.

Thanks for the reply! Why do you say that their efficiency is a concern? Is there anything I should be worried about other than the fact that I'm consuming a little more electricity (slightly greater power bill as well as environmental concerns if one is so inclined)?

Both of them are 80 Plus certified, which should mean that they have 80% efficiency more-or-less. The Corsair one is so inexpensive that it probably wouldn't make that much sense to spend a lot more for a 2-4% percent gain in efficiency if electricity consumption is the only concern.

Thanks for the reply! Why do you say that their efficiency is a concern? Is there anything I should be worried about other than the fact that I'm consuming a little more electricity (slightly greater power bill as well as environmental concerns if one is so inclined)?

Both of them are 80 Plus certified, which should mean that they have 80% efficiency more-or-less. The Corsair one is so inexpensive that it probably wouldn't make that much sense to spend a lot more for a 2-4% percent gain in efficiency if electricity consumption is the only concern.

No, nothing to be concerned about, heat shouldn't be an issue for such small output units.. simply know that for 45$(what you spent on the OCZ as stated by yourself) you can get a better unit, while @ 25$ the CX430 is an excellent deal ;)

Only knock the Corsair has is the coil whine. I've had this happen with a CX500 I bought for a customer; it's something that's also been a complaint with both the CX430 and the CX600.

They're hit and miss...you might get one without the coil whine, or you might get one with it, RMA it, and get another one with it.

Because of the coil whine issue still being a fairly common problem, I'm going to buy something else for a new customer build....more than likely a Neo Eco 400C. If not that, it's going to be the Rosewill Green RG430-S12 which (despite being a Rosewill brand) is supposedly a very well built psu (OEM according to JG forums is ATNG).

For the price, you can't beat the Corsair. Not much reason to buy anything else either, considering at such low levels of power consumption, a difference in efficiency of a few percent will not make a significant impact.

Doesn't the antec still have warranty? I thought it was 5 years (or was it 3?). I got my 500w truepower II replaced because of leaking caps, took 2 weeks from the time I mailed it till the time I got one back. I got a brand new 500 trio unit.

For the price, you can't beat the Corsair.

Would agree, except

Not much reason to buy anything else either

avoiding the potential coil whine.

Yes I know coil whine is harmless, doesn't mean anything, blah blah blah.
It bothers me. Doesn't bother some, but bothers others (myself included).
I'd rather buy a similar powered psu by another oem/manufacturer like a Seasonic made Antec (the Neo Eco's or even the HCG) or even take a shot on the Rosewill RG series rather than buy a CX Corsair that has a fairly good chance of coming with coil whine. It's not really a few of them....judging from reviews, it's a lot of them. Maybe the coil whine isn't on their QC checklist, but I've seen more than enough reviews of people complaining about CX series having coil whine (and witnessing it firsthand) that I will not bother with the CX series until the coil whine problem is completely gone.

The price of the Corsair is excellent. But when similar power psus with equally good innards are available for the same price or slightly higher (if you're including the CX usually having rebates).....it boils down to whether you want to risk paying less and getting a CX with coil whine or buying a competing brand that doesn't. You might save $20 on the CX in the end but if you have to RMA it, that's at least another $6 in the hole for UPS Ground and hoping the replacement doesn't have the whine. If you live near a MC and can pick one up in person, then by all means - the risk is less because you could easily take it back the same day in person and walk out with another one.

Last edited:
Would agree, except

avoiding the potential coil whine.

Yes I know coil whine is harmless, doesn't mean anything, blah blah blah.
It bothers me. Doesn't bother some, but bothers others (myself included).
I'd rather buy a similar powered psu by another oem/manufacturer like a Seasonic made Antec (the Neo Eco's or even the HCG) or even take a shot on the Rosewill RG series rather than buy a CX Corsair that has a fairly good chance of coming with coil whine. It's not really a few of them....judging from reviews, it's a lot of them. Maybe the coil whine isn't on their QC checklist, but I've seen more than enough reviews of people complaining about CX series having coil whine (and witnessing it firsthand) that I will not bother with the CX series until the coil whine problem is completely gone.

The price of the Corsair is excellent. But when similar power psus with equally good innards are available for the same price or slightly higher (if you're including the CX usually having rebates).....it boils down to whether you want to risk paying less and getting a CX with coil whine or buying a competing brand that doesn't.
Those other PSUs have just as high a chance of producing coil whine. It's hit or miss with any unit.

Those other PSUs have just as high a chance of producing coil whine. It's hit or miss with any unit.

Definitely....just seems unfortunately like it's more prevalent on the CX's than anything. :( I love my other Corsair psus and their products are excellent....it's a shame that the bad CX's out there are giving the CX line a little bit of a black eye because otherwise they are ridiculous on the bang for the buck scale. :)

I bought a CX430 v2 to replace a dead Antec one from a Sonata case. I'm quite heavily into quiet computers and there is no coil noise on this unit. It's actually a pretty damn good PSU for the money you get sleeved cables it's well made a 3 year warranty and a nice case badge!

Yes it's 80 plus rated and it's more than enough to power that system.

I'm a bit put off of Antec PSU's right now that last one let go in a very big way sparks out the back bang! Ok so it's not as nice as my CM 600watt modular 80 plus bronze PSU but it cost less and works well in my second desktop. Folks here would be advised that whilst Seasonic is a good maker that last PSU that went out was made by them for Antec..

They're not the gods of PSU some make them out to be a PSU should not go out like that in a dangerous manner.

I bought a CX430 v2 to replace a dead Antec one from a Sonata case. I'm quite heavily into quiet computers and there is no coil noise on this unit. It's actually a pretty damn good PSU for the money you get sleeved cables it's well made a 3 year warranty and a nice case badge!

Yes it's 80 plus rated and it's more than enough to power that system.

I'm a bit put off of Antec PSU's right now that last one let go in a very big way sparks out the back bang! Ok so it's not as nice as my CM 600watt modular 80 plus bronze PSU but it cost less and works well in my second desktop. Folks here would be advised that whilst Seasonic is a good maker that last PSU that went out was made by them for Antec..

They're not the gods of PSU some make them out to be a PSU should not go out like that in a dangerous manner.
Shit happens.

I have the 600w version of the OCZ...

No issues... just be aware of the length of the ATX and supplemental 12v connectors. Myself and other (newegg) reviewers seem to have that issue.

The OCZ is fairly slick and attractive though, and 80-plus certified.

If the calculator said the minimum was 320w, I would say 110w is enough overhead not to be concerned.

Back