Power options for Shuttle w/ 6800 GT OC?

xoshiex

n00b
So, i upgraded from barton cpu to the AMD 64 (socket 754) with a Shuttle SK83G case/mobo. (had a bad experience with nForce2 chipset previously, had to stick with via this time) When i first had this new setup my vid card was a 9700 pro, great but I wanted more.

I did some research on 6800gt/ultra and x800pro/xt and was going to get the x800pro due to power needs and lack of power in my shuttle. Instead I went with the 6800gt oc (bfg). I think I got a good deal with new cooler for $399 -from the only place it was in stock.

I've been using it for about a weeek now, its pretty loud but graphics rock in Half life 2 and everquest 2 but in world of warcraft (not graphically intense imo) my mouse gets stuck to the display. Now when i say the mouse gets stuck, the curser actually freezes but I can see stuff light up whin i move over things. I go back to windows and the mouse is still stuck . Reboot and I can play WoW just fine.
My peanut size brain figures its due to some lack of power because my 240w just isnt enough.

I have been telling people to always have ehough power, especially those with high end components (had an antec true control 550w in my old set up). But heres my prob, its a damn shuttle, where can i get better power?

I'd prefer not to change cases, so any suggestions on getting more power or if you think this is a different problem, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any assistance.

full specs at this time:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Shuttle SK83G / VIA K8M800
GeForce 6800GT OC 256mb (bfg)
1gb Corsair xms 333
80gb WD Caviar HD
LiteOn 12x DVDRW

I can telll you right now that its not a lack of power. I have the exact same setup as you and its not the power supply that is causing it. I would say try reinstalling WoW. Other than that I really dont have any ideas but I can defly say that it is not the power supply.

vage said:
I can telll you right now that its not a lack of power. I have the exact same setup as you and its not the power supply that is causing it. I would say try reinstalling WoW. Other than that I really dont have any ideas but I can defly say that it is not the power supply.

good. ;)

cause finding better power for this is near impossible at this time.

I have SN95G5 and 3000+ and 6800GT and no power problems of that kind. I use stock 240Watt PSU but I also own new 250 watt PSU (only one thats bigger and fits G chassis cause 350 watt PSU from Shuttle fits only P series)
When Shuttle claims 240 watt then it is 240 watt PSU and it will make real 240 watt wich is more then many no name ATX PSU that clame 350 watt + can deliver.
IMHO it's not worth to invest in 250 watt PSU cause it has just 3 amps more at 3,3 V hence not realy that much power more then 240 watt version. Only one thing is realy better. It's bigger and has two fans hence I belive it runs cooler.

I belive something else is going on.

MD

well, i took vage's advice. Removed and reinstalled wow. -also installed a new ui instead of the jerry-rigged one i was using, probably the reason I had probs to begin with.

Thanks for both your comments, I have more confidense in this power supply now and havent had the curser freeze on me since reinstalling.

:D

I have to ask this question, as I'm considering a Shuttle SN85G4V3 box and this looks like the thread to turn to. Will this setup and its 240 Watt power supply handle my existing chip (A64 3200+), Video Card (BFG 5950 Ultra 256) and 2x512Corsair XMS 3200?

I've heard both good and bad concerning the power supplies in Shuttle boxes, and just thought I'd turn to the experts here for some advice. Please feel free to express your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Ax

I have read just about every article and every review that you can find. There are no problems with the shuttle power supplies. The only this that I have seen that can cause power issues is if you water cool or if you have like 20 fans in there plus 3 SATA hard drives. So don't worry you can stick anything you want in there. I have a shuttle with 2 SATA hd, an x800xt, a cd burner, AMD 64 3400+, and 1 gig of ram and there are no power issues.

And it will OC to. Just with a good memory. It wouldn't doo shit with My XMS 3500LL. Affter setting memory divider to 5/6 it did nice OC to 2350 super stable (that's 550 MHz gain from stock 3000+ winchester)

No problems with stock PSU exept that it has very restricted airflow so it runs a bit hot when loaded with all that hardware.

MD

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your input, and it makes me feel a lot better about getting one of these to replace my Lian Li box with. While I love the Lian Li chassis and looks, the noise from the five case fans, plus the CPU fan, gets a little annoying after hearing it for hours on end.

Makes me feel like I'm still at work. :rolleyes:

Ax

Back