Power On: The Story of Xbox

Armenius

Extremely [H]
6-part documentary talking with key people about the development of Microsoft's console and their broader gaming push. Some interesting tidbits in there, like in Chapter 3 where the executives at Microsoft turned down a pitch from Rockstar for Grand Theft Auto 3 on the Xbox because they thought the game was impossible to make.

I'll give you the cliff notes.

Micro$oft: Were making a gaming console, but we have no games for it that people would want to play...
Bungie: Well, we've been working on this game for the PC, it seems to be well received so far, PC Gamer loves it!
Micro$oft: Cool, we'll give you a lot of money for it because it'll help sell our console.
Bungie: OK!! Haha, fuck PC Gamerz $$$$$$$LOL111

The end.

Last edited:

Micro$oft: Were making a gaming console, but we have no games for it that people would want to play...
Bungie: Well, we've been working on this game for the PC, it seems to be well received so far, PC Gamer loves it!
Micro$oft: Cool, we'll give you a lot of money for it because it'll help sell our console.

The end.
I’ll brush you up a little more on your history there. Bungie originally developed and sold exclusively for Mac. So they weren’t really Catering to PC gamers ever. Until much later…

I’ll brush you up a little more on your history there. Bungie originally developed and sold exclusively for Mac. So they weren’t really Catering to PC gamers ever. Until much later…
Interesting. I guess Apple and I share something in common after all.

Interesting. I guess Apple and I share something in common after all.
They actually had a few ground breaking games on Mac in their very early days. There is a great documentary somewhere about the company’s development and early years leading into Halo. But I can’t seem to find a link at the moment.

Last edited:
They actually had a few ground breaking games on Mac in their very early days. There is a great documentary somewhere about the companies development and early years leading into Halo. But I can’t seem to find a link at the moment.
I remember playing Marathon, that was a good shooter for Mac.

Oni was among the first Bungie games I ever remember seeing on PC. I actually had it, but didn't care for it.

The end.
Basically.

I never cared for a Xbox. They rarely had any games that interested me that weren't on PC. I always had high eng gaming PC since I was in HS. The original Xbox was great for a early media/emulation system. The 360 was a turd that I almost never used. Didn't even bother getting Xbone and have no interest in a series x.

Basically.

I never cared for a Xbox. They rarely had any games that interested me that weren't on PC. I always had high eng gaming PC since I was in HS. The original Xbox was great for a early media/emulation system. The 360 was a turd that I almost never used. Didn't even bother getting Xbone and have no interest in a series x.
Yeah, by the time the Xbox came out, I had a PS2, I had a number of games on it but mostly played games on my PC as well. Haven't bought a new console since.

Yeah, by the time the Xbox came out, I had a PS2, I had a number of games on it but mostly played games on my PC as well. Haven't bought a new console since.
Only console I care about in Sony. Nintendo game are crap to me. I will give MS credit with the Series X. It is a hell of a system. Better the the PS5 and game pass is great. It still has no games on it.

Their controllers work good for PC games the new ones are really ergo friendly. Last Gen are slightly bigger.
I owned a Xbox but my eyes bleeded from playing Halo Reach the BLOOM was horrible.
Night Caster was the only game really wanted tried it on a emulator COD 2 wasn't bad.

Last edited:

The end.

Correction, Bungie developed Halo first for the mac, it was a Myth style RTS featuring marines and warthogs. They tightened up the camera to a third person shooter and gave direct control of a marine, around this time they ran into finacial trouble and Apple wouldn't help em out.

Enter Microsoft, they saw the current demo at an E3 (I beleive) and asked to meet with Bungie. Microsoft offer the cash to finish the project but only if Halo launched with the xbox as an exclusive. With this and a limited amount of time (due to impending console launch) Bungie quickly settled on an FPS put in place the single player campaign, and spent a good amount of their time getting movement and shooting to feel fluid on a controller. Thus Halo (and the xbox console) was born.

There is a documentary of it on youtube.

Basically.

Bungie was really a Mac developer and Halo was for the Mac. Nothing was stolen from the PC side of things lol. I've never had an Xbox either. I went with the PS3 for some exclusives and don't regret that.

Back