Power on and run a PSU by itself

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
Can you turn on a PSU by itself (without a MB connected)? If so, how?

Would there be any problems running it for a few hours like that?

A buddy has a problem with his system while playing games. His PSU just meets the specs of the card and seem to run OK or a bit. Then, things start to go wierd in games. The card runs fine on my system for hours. Nothing is overclocked on his.

I'm thinking his PSU can't take the demand. So, I was going to hook up a spare one I have just to run the card. (It would be a real pain to swap PSU for the test. So, I don't want to do that if I don't have to.)

Yes using a paperclip to jump the green to a black on the ATX connector.

Some PSU's will not turn on without a load and they should not be run for long periods without a load.

you could just wire a simple switch so its easy to turn on at the right moment :)

Yes using a paperclip to jump the green to a black on the ATX connector.

Some PSU's will not turn on without a load and they should not be run for long periods without a load.

Thanks,
It will have some load from the video card, but not on the MB.

I was also thinking a tester may be able to turn it on and create a small load. I'm just guessing though.

Thanks,
It will have some load from the video card, but not on the MB.

I was also thinking a tester may be able to turn it on and create a small load. I'm just guessing though.

I would use fans/cd-rom's etc for doing this since they are less likely to be damaged if something goes wrong.

The small load tester do indeed generate a small load.

Back