Power issues with mining and wife's hair dryer

disuse_nc

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I have a LTC mining machine with a 1200w psu powering 4 ATI 7950's and 4 500w (using 280w per) psu's powering some block eruptor cubes in the garage. Wife ran her blow dryer today in the master bathroom which flipped the gfi breaker.

I am going to test other plugs in the garage to make sure she doesn't flip the breaker when I'm at work but am curious if any sort of APC would help keep this from happening.

Thoughts?

Flipped the wall protection circuit or tripped the panel breaker?
My guess is the hairdryer is another 1500W instantaneous draw and what you have plus the dryer will not co-exist on the same 15A breaker.

Yeah, hair dryers are no joke on power draw - I think Grandpa had a few words for Grandma related to a hair dryer on the same circuit as DC boxen.

Hey everyone,

I have a LTC mining machine with a 1200w psu powering 4 ATI 7950's and 4 500w (using 280w per) psu's powering some block eruptor cubes in the garage. Wife ran her blow dryer today in the master bathroom which flipped the gfi breaker.

A lot of homes share the GFI between the garage and bathroom outlets. I would suggest getting a dedicated mining circuit installed by a qualified electrician in your garage. If your main panel is also in the garage, it should be a quick service call and maybe ~$100.

lol this is the reason I invested in an APC to prepare myself for next summer. Having the hair dryer blow out the power to your machine daily (thankfully had a surge protector, but still) took its toll. At least an APC will give you enough time to flip the switch back on without knocking all your clients offline and or in my case 1 in 3 shutdowns would cause all my clients to error on the existing WU forcing me to re-download a new one.

I second hair dryers being no joke. The power those things suck out is ridiculous.

Hey everyone,

I am going to test other plugs in the garage to make sure she doesn't flip the breaker when I'm at work but am curious if any sort of APC would help keep this from happening.

Thoughts?

HeHe I know the problem well, I put the Garage on it's own GFI breaker and Grandma has her very own 15A breaker. Just a little advice here DO NOT COME BETWEEN A WOMAN AND HER HAIR APPLIANCES. :D

I have a guy coming in the morning to give me some idea on best course of action.

For cooling, was thinking a hanging rack from the ceiling for almost 100% airflow

HeHe I know the problem well, I put the Garage on it's own GFI breaker and Grandma has her very own 15A breaker. Just a little advice here DO NOT COME BETWEEN A WOMAN AND HER HAIR APPLIANCES. :D

This is wisdom right here.

Back