Power issues messing up CRT monitor

Bop

2[H]4U
The microwave and other various devices in my kitchen seem to be causing quite a bit of interference and nothing, not even a UPS seem to be helping. (it is a low end model) The monitor becomes jittery and fuzzy whenever the microwave is on, when it is off it still does it to a degree. I have tried TWO monitors with THREE different PCs and it still occurs, so power is definitely the issue.

I've recently thought about buying a UPS with line conditioning (true sine wave, voltage regulation and other stuff) to combat this problem but my father thinks it won't be able to react quick enough to line changes due to the way a microwave works.

Do any of you know a solution to my problem?

EDIT: I'm thinking about getting the CyberPower PR1500, its a pure sine wave line interactive with AVR, but its 300 bucks. Would that do the trick?

Are you sure that it's a power issue? I mean, CRT's can get messed up when they're too close to other electronic devices (like having your speakers too close to your monitor).

A microwave uses the same type of radiation as your CRT uses to create an image on the phosphor sheet. Maybe some of the unabsorbed radiation is escaping your microwave and is offsetting the projection of EMR from your monitor's cathode (this could be distorting your image).

I recomend trying an LCD (they shouldn't have that problem).

The microwave is one floor up, probably a good 30 ft. away. I don't want to use an LCD because of the poorer IQ and response times.

The image still "shakes" a little even when the microwave isn't running, which is what leads me to believe its a power issue. Whenever power tools are run my monitor's image gets really distorted, which is another reason why I think it is power.

I wanted to get that $300 UPS that has the pure sine wave, but it looks like I actually can't afford one right now. I'm looking at the Cyberpower OP1250 (simulated sine wave, line conditioning) and I'm wondering if that will help with this issue.

Silly question, have you tested for proper polarity and ground in your circuit?

this may sound funny but try running your monitor at a higher frequency via video control panel...

And this might be odd, but is your computer on the same electrical breaker as your microwave?

I've got a toaster on my 'lectrical line, so I feel your pain (assuming this is the case). Blenders do a number to my CRT also.

Good luck:D

the two are probably on the same circuit. a microwave next to a CRT might cause interferance from escaped radiation, but theres no way it goes through a floor. a floor is more than enough to stop the low power microwaves in your kitchen unit.

Yeah the monitor appears to be on the same circuit. :( I'm really hoping a UPS with line conditioning and simulated sine wave will help.

As for running the monitor at higher frequencies, do you mean refresh rate? If so a higher refresh rate seems to make the problem worse.

EDIT: Instead of a UPS, I think I might get just a line conditioner.

How does this look? http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2845

It says only 20 amps though, my PC alone takes up like 30-40A or do they mean amps in another way?

Bop said:
Yeah the monitor appears to be on the same circuit. :( I'm really hoping a UPS with line conditioning and simulated sine wave will help.

As for running the monitor at higher frequencies, do you mean refresh rate? If so a higher refresh rate seems to make the problem worse.

EDIT: Instead of a UPS, I think I might get just a line conditioner.

How does this look? http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2845

It says only 20 amps though, my PC alone takes up like 30-40A or do they mean amps in another way?

AC not DC, your pc doesnt take 40a AC.

wee96 said:
AC not DC, your pc doesnt take 40a AC.

Doh, should've thought of that. Thanks for clearing that up.

I just ordered the Tripp Lite LC2400, hopefully that will do the trick.

Back