Power hungry pc owners revenge

embro

n00b
Ok, i bought a radeon 9800Pro, and will shortyl receive my MSI pt880 motherboard with my 2.8C cpu.

Currently i have the stock HX08 Aopen powersupply, and it served well, doing its job for the past 4 years 24/7. But just like everyone when you receive new hardware... you wanna try it, so i plug my new 9800 Pro, hit the power switch, BAM black screen nothing happen... ok i might have not enough juice...

So i look at the Antec 480w, Enermax 465w, Vantec 470w specs. (would have check the PC Power and Cooling but cant get them where i live)

Vantec
12+ rail: stable 28A max 30A
+3.3V & +5V = 235watt

Antec 12+ rail: stable probably 18A max 22A
+3.3V & +5V = ???

Enermax 12+ rail: unknown stable, max 33A
+3.3V & +5V = 200watt

Vantec SEEMS to have the best specs, all of them are in the same price range, what would you guys suggest?
Also, what about the other brand, back in thew days, they were 3 or 4, now theres so many, one of them must be good... Also, what other good spec i should look for on a power supply?

Thanks

the specs dont mean anything in power supplies.. it jsut gives you an idea. for all you know vantec was generous on the specs and antec was conservative.

im sure they both kick ass though

I've got an Enermax 435w. Love it too. At one time, I've had every power connector on there taken and a couple y apapters (P4P800-d, [email protected] cdrw, dvdrom, 6 hdd's, floppy, 4 case fans).
Ran fine too, no problems, rails were all solid too.

My vote is for Enermax...but I also have an Antec that I love too...so I'd vote for either actually.

I have an Antec 300W that runs CD-R, CD-ROM, 2 HDs, and a few fans just fine :D

An Antec 430w True Power will supply more wattage then you will use even with the new CPU's and Video Cards.

Antec is the best for the consumer market. The only step up would be a PC Power and Cooling PSU which are very expensive and not worth the extra cost unless you have money to blow.

Originally posted by embro
300watt is clearly not enough with the new cpu and video cards....

I have a 2600+, 1 GB RAM, AIW 9800 Pro, a pair of 7200 RPM hard drives, a CD-ROM drive and a pair of case fans all running off of a 250 watt PSU (original PSU from a ~6 month old Compaq Presario 6000Z). Runs the Prime 95 torture test like a champ and has been powered up non-stop for at least a month. YMMV

I have a 460 watt Enermax that runs my water cooling, my 2 drives, my radeon 9500, my hard drive and a half dozen fans and a few lights. Runs like a champ except for the long ass cords on everything with nowhere to hide them

Originally posted by Kwah
except for the long ass cords on everything with nowhere to hide them

That's no joke there...the Enermax was obviously designed with a full tower in mind where your drives are located at the bottom of the case!

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
I have a 2600+, 1 GB RAM, AIW 9800 Pro, a pair of 7200 RPM hard drives, a CD-ROM drive and a pair of case fans all running off of a 250 watt PSU (original PSU from a ~6 month old Compaq Presario 6000Z). Runs the Prime 95 torture test like a champ and has been powered up non-stop for at least a month. YMMV

2600+ and all XP series are not as hungry as the new cpu's. And cdrom, HD's, fans, memory, ... aren't important since they dont take much. The new AMD 64 and P4 Prescott need alot more Amp. I heard the new 64 new 28A on the 3v rail, and prescott is alot on the 12v rail... i just dont remember the number but its huge. But consider yourself lucky, a 9800 pro need 15A on the 12v rail :eek:

Originally posted by embro
2600+ and all XP series are not as hungry as the new cpu's. And cdrom, HD's, fans, memory, ... aren't important since they dont take much. The new AMD 64 and P4 Prescott need alot more Amp. I heard the new 64 new 28A on the 3v rail, and prescott is alot on the 12v rail... i just dont remember the number but its huge. But consider yourself lucky, a 9800 pro need 15A on the 12v rail :eek:

I think you need to go and reevaluate your amp requirements there dude ;) .

My Antec True Power 430w only provides 20 amps on the 12v line and you've already got 15 of the amps for that 9800 pro.

15 amps x 12v is 180w. I believe the 9800 pro only uses around 55w. And i dont believe the A64 draws off the 3.3v line ither. Nearly all the new processors use the 12v line.

Well... i may be wrong... but still

"+3.3V rail is unusually low. We definitely would not recommend this power supply for AMD system builders, especially overclockers. (Intel system builders will have no problems with wattages)" -Anandtech

taken from the Vantec 520W review of anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=7

And about 4 people replied to a thread someone made about it on another board and they all said it was 28A on the 3.3v rail. And amd.com is so full of good info... *sarcasme*

So now im lost :p

Just to throw my hat in, I'd go with an Antec True Power 430 since I own one and it's been awesome.

I currently run PC Pwer and Cooling but had an Antec prior. The Antec would be my choice if PC Power and Cooling is not available to you. Bear i mind your choice will be with you for 3-5 years I would go True power 480 or 550 if you plan on updating your Video card in the next 1 or 2 years.

I do want to plug the PC Power Supplies. The 425 deluxe out perfoms my previous True power 550 hands down. That is saying something considering the quality of the Antec.

Originally posted by Filter
reminds me of car amplifiers.
No kidding. Remember those little 1 inch EQ Boosters from the 80's that said they were like 500 watts?

Back