Power for Pelt

krotch

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm wondering if an Enermax 600w Noisetaker would be able to power a 226w pelt and my computer. It's cool if it won't, it just means I have to order another PSU and new to fit two PSUs.

Stupid 3.4E ghz P4 is just way to hot.

The Enermax has a max amps of 40A at 115v and 80A at 230v, while the Meanwell has 20A at 115v and 40A at 230v. I doubt amperage on the 12v line will be insufficent. I'd rather spend $145.00 on a regular ATX psu that has more functions than the Meanwell.

I'm just wondering if a 600w would be able to power a pelt, my comp, and of course the pump.

Uh, where are you getting these numbers? :confused:

What would be really helpful is to know the details of the pelt you wanted to run - specifically its Vmax and Imax. And a link to the specifications on that Enermax would be good - make it easier for us to help you.

http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?Tid=1&gon=256&Gid=18&Gid2=43

It's the closest to the one I have. I'm not using Ver 2.0. I'm using the one before it. The EG701P-VE. As for the pelt, I'm looking at the Swiftech MCW5002-PT ( http://www.swiftnets.com/ ).

I know the pelt can be run on a PSU.

While it is possible to connect the MCW5002-AT to the computer power-supply, users should be aware that only high-end power-supplies can accomodate the Peltier module 18amps current draw (at 12 volts). Accordingly, users should verify that their power supply features at least a 40 Amps ratings for the +12 volts rail.

As the 12v lines on the Enermax spit out 18A on 12v1 and 17A on 12v2 and a max of 40A, it won't be a problem.

The only problem I'll see is whether I'll have enough power to run everything.

Couples U max I max DT max Q max R(Ω)
127 15.2 VDC 24 A >67 ° C 226.1 W 0.48

Measured power draw at 12 VDC: 18A

Have fun. You'll blow the supply. Won't last three months. The meanwell is about the same price as the power supply. Be smart. Get the meanwell and do it right.

And seeing as no one here is of help, I'm not going to bother looking in here anymore. I'll just buy another Enermax and run the 226w pelt just like my friend who's been doing it for a year.

Just because no one stepped up and agreed with you doesn't mean no one is of any help. How much is the Enermax? Where are you going to put the enermax? Do you have room for a second ATX supply? The Meanwell fits in two 5.25 bays and is easily installed without much hacking.

krotch said:
the 12v lines on the Enermax spit out 18A on 12v1 and 17A on 12v2 and a max of 40A, it won't be a problem.

The only problem I'll see is whether I'll have enough power to run everything.

Couples U max I max DT max Q max R(Ω)
127 15.2 VDC 24 A >67 ° C 226.1 W 0.48

Measured power draw at 12 VDC: 18A
Some of us have lives, ya know... :) Got to go outside, drink some eggnog, play some football...

Okay, so if you hook the pelt to the 12v1 output of that Enermax, the pelt will need the entire 18A that is available - nothing else could be hooked to that output. That will would leave you with the 17A on the 12v2 for everything else.

Your 3.4E can can easily suck up 120 watts. So figure 11A for it (allowing for some loss by the onboard voltage regulators). Got a video card? Of course you do! A graphics card modern enough to complement that 3.4E will want 4 to 6 amps from the 12V rail. Hard drives? Optical drive? Fans? They all want some 12V power...estimate 1A for a hard or a fan, 2A for a optical.

So, I conclude that there's no way in hell that the PSU will supply both the computer and the TEC and the same time - there just ain't enough 12V amps available.

Get the meanwell or a second enermax.

As I said before, I'm just going to get a 2nd Enermax.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-437&depa=0

It's rated for 36A on the 12v line. There isn't a 2nd 12v line and it's not going to do anything cept power the pelt. Way better than getting a stupid Meanwell. At least if I ever get off pelt, then I have a 2nd psu I can use for another computer.

I also was planning on getting a different case to support two watercooling loops and a simple modding will allow a 2nd PSU to be thrown in, so no issues there. I have no issues pulling out my dremel and doing a little cutting. Not like I haven't modded my PC-65 enough already.

Sorry that I don't do much. I mean, all those trips to London, Amsterdam, Seoul, Denver, etc that I've been on. Soon to add in places like Tokyo, Hiroshima, etc. I'm just not doing anything this holiday season. Have to work to protect the American way of life. I will on the other hand roll to Seoul to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Bigger holiday here than Christmas and New Years.

Enermax probably will handle it. Only problem is,,, that pelt is going to draw so much current single molex connector will brown out or burn out over time. I suggest using heavier gauge wire instead of stock molex.

That PSU will work well, but I would recommend not running the pelt thru the molex. Take some time and hard-wire the pelt into the PSU. If the correct wire is used, it won't burn out or melt, and it's easy to remove.

I'll simply compare gauges of the pelts wires with the PSU's wires.

no one mentioned it but you should put some sort of load on the 3.3v; 5v line as psu dont work properly with just load on the 12v line

I never had any issues when I ran two 300w in my server. The 2nd PSU was only getting load on the 12v line. I ran the comp that way until I bought a 580w PSU. Probably about two months time.

krotch said:
I never had any issues when I ran two 300w in my server. The 2nd PSU was only getting load on the 12v line. I ran the comp that way until I bought a 580w PSU. Probably about two months time.

Honestly, you don't seem to like to listen to people here so go do what you choose to do. Search around and most of PSU's are made to have load there. But than, you should be okay with all your lucks. :rolleyes:

Back