Power draw, who cares...

It was a MSI custom model so it wasn't terrible unless it was running full-out, but coming from a 6970 with an Accelero it did get grating eventually. I got used to it eventually, but it's definitely nice being back to very quiet card.

For my main rig I don't really care about power draw that much. The only time power would come in to play is if performance and price is similar then I may consider power as a deciding factor. For my file server or HTPC I tend to put power draw slightly higher because these are systems that are running and operating 24/7 and may be in "load" more often in a day in comparison to my main rig.

But power is going to affect people differently because system is going to have different purposes.

Also high power draw = no mobile presence. And the laptop gaming segment is growing pretty steadily. AMD is missing out on another market.

Steady is a mind word for very rapid growth. 10x over 3 years and its close to overtake desktops ;)

L"O"L

My PC is on USA 240v just to support the Kilowatts LOL. Waiting on threadripper and 2x Vega. I have 10 gauge romex running to the panel just for my quad 240v socket in my office. I live in America where everyhing is 120v and 240 is some mystical untouchable you need a PhD to touch power source to almost everyone you will ever talk too. I use it for my HAM radio equipement and amplifiers which can pull 3KW or more through the vac tubes to make 1.5kw RF out to my antennas. All self installed from the panel to the sockets.

Also high power draw = no mobile presence. And the laptop gaming segment is growing pretty steadily. AMD is missing out on another market.

No they are not... AMD just got big endorsements and investments into their Mobile Ryzen CPUs. I am betting it will be mobile APU's in that segment soon. AMD is not missing out on crap. Ya'll are just missing out on reading the news and assuming based on conditioning from being victims to a stale market for the last decade.

L"O"L

My PC is on USA 240v just to support the Kilowatts LOL. Waiting on threadripper and 2x Vega. I have 10 gauge romex running to the panel just for my quad 240v socket in my office. I live in America where everyhing is 120v and 240 is some mystical untouchable you need a PhD to touch power source to almost everyone you will ever talk too. I use it for my HAM radio equipement and amplifiers which can pull 3KW or more through the vac tubes to make 1.5kw RF out to my antennas. All self installed from the panel to the sockets.

No they are not... AMD just got big endorsements and investments into their Mobile Ryzen CPUs. I am betting it will be mobile APU's in that segment soon. AMD is not missing out on crap. Ya'll are just missing out on reading the news and assuming based on conditioning from being victims to a stale market for the last decade.

No gamer in their right mind would go for Ryzen + Polaris, which is what was shown back at CES. Now if it's Ryzen + Pascal/Volta, now you have my attention. And my nerd hardon :ROFLMAO:

L"O"L

My PC is on USA 240v just to support the Kilowatts LOL. Waiting on threadripper and 2x Vega. I have 10 gauge romex running to the panel just for my quad 240v socket in my office. .

you need to post some pics of this monster..I am intrigued

you need to post some pics of this monster..I am intrigued

There are no pics haha... of what an AX1200 plugged into 240v lol? What would be so intriguing about a black power cord?

Im stating that I had the sockets available so I used them. Im anticipating a 500 watt overclock power draw from Threadripper and 2x 350watt Vegas so thats going to push over 1100 watts draw plus losses due to conversion so anticipating 1300-1400watts draw from the wall. That is too much to safely pull on a 15 amp 120v. So I changed it to 240v.

What I was saying is that due to my ham radio hobby I already had 10ga romex wiring in the wall and multiple 240v sockets. So I made use of one for my ax1200.

I have long sold my 3930k and quad xfire rig. Of which I used to also power with 240v into an older Antec True Power.

I was expecting a monster rig.

I used to have one. I sold it all. 4x 290x cards 3930K 64GB ram all waterblocked incl the motherboard running eyefinity on 3x 1920x1200 IPS Asus Pro displays, all long sold also ... it would be completely obsolete by todays exacting standards. I did sell the 290s and back when they were still top dog I had a watercooled 6990.

The next one will be monster.

No I was referring to Ryzen and Vega.

I'm not interested in yesteryear's performance and wattage. If it's gonna be bundled only with Vega, AMD should go ahead and fail. The decision to stick a monster CPU like that with an inept GPU like Vega is corporate suicide.

Remember that Nvidia has Max-Q tech that allows 1080 performance in 18mm notebooks. No way in hell you're gonna be able to cram Vega 10 in there. Ryzen + Pascal/Volta or bust.

Last edited:
I still run my 3930k ,3x 1070's , 32 Gb etc etc.....
I'm a folder, so I *think* I'm below 1000 watts continuous.I was 1150 watts 24/7 running 3x 580's.
I care not for power draw.
I run 10kva of UPS.I have 120/240......whatever.
----

The next one will be monster.

Yep.
A month ago I bought one of the custom caselabs 'white' sth10's.
Imma hafta to fill that right up!
What skylake chip you buyin ?

:D

I care about power draw only so far as cooling and card configuration. For example, I prefer mid-tower cases designed to reduce noise. Liquid cooling is no go as the pumps and rads add a ton of vibration to the case, so the ambient noise level goes up significantly for me.

So that generally limits me to air cooled cards < 12.5 inches, dual slot, so for me, that kind of limits it to a card that does more than 275W before fan noise becomes an issue.

Working in a Tier III datacenter I can tell you that we are a LOT of people caring about powerdraw.
If your servers in the datacenter pulls 2 MW of power....you have to add cooling and airflow on top of that...10 Watt per server matters...if you have +5000 servers.
And the profit on datacenter is much bigger than on consumers I suppose...so guess why consumer feel left out: They pay too little $$$ compared to DC/Enterprise.
As long as DC/Enterprise have more buying power than the average Joe Bob consumer....this is how the world will be....focus will be on perf/Watt...not IPC...not games.

Lets face it...consumers are not the prime market for Intel.
(But tell consumers that...and they get their "entitlement" in a twist)

You can even say its the same for consumers now. Gaming laptops is close to if not already outselling gaming desktops. And laptops sells more than desktops. And for laptop we all know what the requirements are.

Does that include towers as well?

Do you know the approx ratio of home built vs pre-built desktops/towers?

Working in a Tier III datacenter I can tell you that we are a LOT of people caring about powerdraw.
If your servers in the datacenter pulls 2 MW of power....you have to add cooling and airflow on top of that...10 Watt per server matters...if you have +5000 servers.
And the profit on datacenter is much bigger than on consumers I suppose...so guess why consumer feel left out: They pay too little $$$ compared to DC/Enterprise.
As long as DC/Enterprise have more buying power than the average Joe Bob consumer....this is how the world will be....focus will be on perf/Watt...not IPC...not games.

I agree with what you said entirely...

But we're talking about consumer grade gaming hardware here really. The power draw of my heating and cooling systems in my commercial properties matter a lot to me, but don't matter at all to this conversation or even the people that rent there. But to address what you said and take it further off the rails IPC does matter in some data center applications and in those cases you simply deal with the heat. Not every application benefits from high core count at lower frequencies.

I hate when my PC makes any sound so I always strive to make it silent. Every watt of power needs to be cooled, so the less watts it's using, the easier it is to quietly cool.

I agree with what you said entirely...

But we're talking about consumer grade gaming hardware here really. The power draw of my heating and cooling systems in my commercial properties matter a lot to me, but don't matter at all to this conversation or even the people that rent there. But to address what you said and take it further off the rails IPC does matter in some data center applications and in those cases you simply deal with the heat. Not every application benefits from high core count at lower frequencies.

You think there is a business plan where the consumer-market can support a separate R&D expenditure?

Maybe ask the ARM makers that are starting to produce for Servers as well as mobile and stationary.

Want me to tell you about the actual performance (add TCO to that)...and why we have less than 20 AMD servers, no Arm servers...but only run Intel on all the other stuff?

I hate when my PC makes any sound so I always strive to make it silent. Every watt of power needs to be cooled, so the less watts it's using, the easier it is to quietly cool.
Same here. I love the silent world since my move to watercooling four years ago. If I can save the power, it'll be a nice bonus.

Want me to tell you about the actual performance (add TCO to that)...and why we have less than 20 AMD servers, no Arm servers...but only run Intel on all the other stuff?

Your business decisions are your call. You asked for a case point where there was two divergent R&D lines and I gave it. I didn't say they were ready for prime time, but what bee do you think is Intel's bonnet? Hint: It's not AMD.

I'm a retired CIO and CEO. I'm fairly familiar with how decision making works and it's not always in favour of lower power use. It it were I would never have bought the Superdomes or upgraded the z series. The fact is power is only part of the decision making tree.

As an aside, that's quite a nice set up you have and for what I imagine you use it for it for it was likely the right call.

It's a moving target.

In this case the business decision is Intel's...and they like to make money.
want to bet they have looked at possibility of a seperate consumer CPU R&D track?

My bet is that they came to the conclusion I suspect they reached:
The majority of consumers buying desktops are cheap and whiney...profit margins are low, compared to Intel's DC/Business/Enterprise segments.

If you want to see how Intels is ruled by margins...take a look at how they pushed SSD's...and after margins dropped on the consumer market...they shifted focus away from the consumer market...Intel in a nutshell...they like their 60% profit margin.

Counterpoint: those 5,000 servers are serving 500,000 users.

In Q1 2017, Intel's data center unit sold $4.3B in product. Their consumer/client arm sold $7.4B.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: those 5,000 servers are serving 500,000 users.

In Q1 2017, Intel's data center unit sold $4.3B in product. Their consumer/client arm sold $7.4B.

How much of those 7.4B are mobile parts with essentially the same goal as servers?

How much of those 7.4B are mobile parts with essentially the same goal as servers?

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that power efficiency is the main performance goal of both DC and most consumer chips? Then yes. Most consumers don't have compute heavy loads. They want longer battery life. If anything, power draw is a bigger concern for mobile than for server farms.

Most consumers go mobile...but good luck running the back-end on ARM...come back when that is happning.

ARM server companies or projects goes belly up every single time. Broadcom was the latest.

ARMs efficiency goes away real fast when you add performance.

Seriously. I have to consider how much stuff I have on each circuit sometimes. On at least one circuit I can't turn all the devices on it on at once or the breaker trips.... 15A x 120v = only 1800W per circuit before needing to move to wiring/outlets that will support 20A or more or adding more circuits.
Heh maybe houses should start adding the power supply to refrigerators, and ovens; outlets that are usually for the kitchen in the rest of the house :)

Heh maybe houses should start adding the power supply to refrigerators, and ovens; outlets that are usually for the kitchen in the rest of the house :)
Really, all we have to do is catch up with the rest of the world and wire our entire homes for 240V.

Really, all we have to do is catch up with the rest of the world and wire our entire homes for 240V.

You can already do that if you want to. Even if you're jealous of the 240v 10 amp common household circuits you can still wire for 120V 20amp as well. I mean, people complain about this, but really it's how the home was planned and wired that is the problem, not the 120v circuits. People in countries with 240v service also suffer from piss poor wiring planning.

who cares what it's doing inside that little case as long as heat doesn't become a concern?
Well try to build either a quiet machine or an itx machine at some point and this concern gets amplified.

Reactions: STR
like this
Power draw is a factor because it relates to heat, and heat has a variety of negative consequences. I have owned a wide variety of cards through the years and I keep them for a very long time because I pass them to children and family members. Cards that were known to run hot, fail more often in the long run. And it probably also means that other components in your case are taking on more heat. Since I like having cards last a long time often outside of warranty I care a bit.

Also these cards tend to have louder fans to keep them cool, and noise levels matter too.

Now then so why do I buy these cards? Well often times they come with something of a discount, or they provide the performance I want for the price. GPU makers know this and play with prices or perks like extra games accordingly.

Back