Power consumption of gaming laptops?

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by jman0, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:42 AM.

1. jman0

jman0 n00bie

I'm trying to reduce my electricity bill and i believe that my gaming pc is drawing more power than I can justify.
    Not breaking the bank, but can my gaming and digital art 'hobby' really cost more than the refrigerator and freezer?

Anyway it's got me looking at gaming laptops.

Has anybody taken any output readings of their laptops of cumulative watts over the day?

If you're in the US your local library may have a wattage reader device that you can borrow like a book.

2. FnordMan

FnordMan [H]ard|Gawd

Have you actually measured your desktop? My "gaming pc" only sucks down ~60W at the wall and that's inclusive of an older monitor (~20W), a second PC (Atom based, takes bugger all for power at idle) and a network switch.

Any lower power replacement for that would cost orders of magnitude more than the power it would save.

3. jman0

jman0 n00bie

Yes my computer is pulling around 2kWh per day (rounding up).

It's the cumulative total you need to look at. Not the current draw.
    It might be drawing 60w this minute, but those minutes add up.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM
  4. jman0

jman0 n00bie

Here, this guy built a small form factor gaming desktop with power consumption in mind.
    Still pulls 1kWh per day when he's doing Battlefield 4.

http://www.toptengamer.com/energy-efficient-itx-gaming-pc/

I'd like to see what gaming laptops do.
    They have smaller fans so maybe there will be cost savings there.
    Plus with the battery you could always unplug for a couple hours (probably not game though).

5. 777

777 n00bie

You could base a calculation on the rating printed on the power supply. But if you really are using 2KWh per day gaming, maybe you could dial down the overclocked CPU and GPU or remove some of your hardware and get the same effect as buying a crippled laptop.