Power consumption and heat on an OC chip with stock voltage?

Gundam

Weaksauce
I currently have an E8400 for my primary rig. I just purchased an i3-540 and mobo to replace it. My goal was to reduce power consumption/heat and still retain comparable performance levels. I got the i3 combo for what the E8400 cpu alone is worth, so I figure I didn't lose much by making the switch.

Now I'm hearing that the i3-540 OC's very well. I'm still a noob at Ocing so I was wondering.....if I leave voltage completely stock and only change the multiplier/fsb, will power consumption/heat increase considerably if I decide to OC? I know bumping voltage will increase heat and power consumption, but what if it is left at stock levels? BTW I will have a Scythe Mugen 2 on the i3 so it'll be adequetly cooled.

In most cases, a higher clock frequency won't have as much of a effect on temps as increased voltage does. The i3's are multiplier locked (you can go lower, not higher), so you have to turn up the base clock.

The temps should stay decent until you pass the 180 bclk mark, after that it will start to get toasty.

In most cases, a higher clock frequency won't have as much of a effect on temps as increased voltage does. The i3's are multiplier locked (you can go lower, not higher), so you have to turn up the base clock.

The temps should stay decent until you pass the 180 bclk mark, after that it will start to get toasty.

That's what I figured with heat, but what about power consumption?

Not saying it won't work, just normally you gotta add some voltage to get a good stable OC.

Back