Powder Coating question?

Loiselle

n00b
To those of you who have had their cases powder coated... I have a few question to ask before I go ahead with it...

Did you powder coat the side panels (my case is a Cooler Master RC-690) without any issues?

Do you ever run into scratching/rub off issues when you put the panels into place to seal the case?

How DURABLE is the powder coating? I move my PC frequently to take to LAN parties and what not, I want to make sure I know what I am getting into first.

I made the mistake of getting the case just painted, and it looks like absolute hell. Paint is flaking off left and right at the slightest brush. So any input or experience you can share with me on powder coating, would be much appreciated.

It's going to scratch, sure. Powder coat finish rivals even the hardest paints out there though. But it can scratch. I'm assuming you're referring to where the side panels come in contact with the chassis? Yes it will have some slight marking, but it really doesn't matter when the panel's on the case; you won't see it.

Hope that helps!

It's going to scratch, sure. Powder coat finish rivals even the hardest paints out there though. But it can scratch. I'm assuming you're referring to where the side panels come in contact with the chassis? Yes it will have some slight marking, but it really doesn't matter when the panel's on the case; you won't see it.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... I guess I am just wondering to what extent is it going to scratch or scuff to... anyone else have anything to add to keep an eye out for when powder coating?

Last edited:
when i had my cube powder coated it looked great, but the door sides flex some what easy and it broke off like it was glass (err..ceramic if you will) but it took ALOT to make that happen so as long as you dont rack it to hard you should be ok.

Appreciate all the positive feedback. Like I said, my biggest worry is where the panels meet the chasis. A little scuffing is expected, I just don't want gouges or gigantic pits in the surface.

Appreciate all the positive feedback. Like I said, my biggest worry is where the panels meet the chasis. A little scuffing is expected, I just don't want gouges or gigantic pits in the surface.

powder coat is preferable as for its durability..... it is quite literally a type of ceramic which will resist light scratching and abrasion however will shatter if impacted or flexed too much...

overall it has better performance compared to that of lacquers and other paints.... although epoxy paint is a close second......:cool:

Back