Potential New Mini-ITX Build 7700T A4-SFX

Phanatic

n00b
Thinking about replacing/supplementing my 2500k with a mini-itx build especially with some of the new mini cases coming out that can support 1080 gtx. I cannot find much in the way of reviews on the 7700T does anyone know of any? Or any personal experience with that CPU?

I have read the 1080 GTX throttles lower in the really cramped Mini-ITX builds but no one has tested with a lower wattage but higher performance CPU that I can find. Also lower overall system wattage is beneficial when going small and not necessarily having active case cooling. None of the testing done by hardware sites will show longterm effectes of heat since these Mini-ITX cases under 12 liters are very new in general and the concept of running a full size GPU and desktop class hardware is just trickling down to these sizes.

The other part i'm assuming is that water cooling can be done more compactly and will ramp the fan up less with a lower wattage CPU. Yes I could underclock a 7700K but then I have to mess with voltages and other bios settings and waste time testing while the 35watt 7700T should just work. My 2500k and H60 I can comfortably clock to 4ghz with heat under control and minimal increased voltage but once I'm at that level or higher the H60 has to speed the fan up to compensate frequently so i'm looking at the 7700T as the best CPU for max performance and less noise generated to cool it. Also this is a bedroom PC so it will need to be able to run very quietly when let on overnight. The 2500k was in a guest room and someone sleeping would find the noise level is annoying at best. I'm actually shocked how quite the 1080 founders is in most scenario's but might go with water there if it would fit mini-itx case I end up with.

You dont need to limit yourself with an ITX build. I have used ITX for ages now. No throttle, no cooling issues.

The FE edition can be a benefit due to the blower type however. But unless you have a very specific ITX case in mind, go with a 7700K.

Probably more mixup of terms on my part I don't mean throttle as in below normal although with the boost clocks and turbo's I no longer believe the concept is the same as it was years ago. I really mean more on the lines of decreased time at max boost and I'm getting an A4-SFX so it is not your normal ITX scenario as far as having much active case cooling

I edited the title Shintai you reminded me that the A4 is not normal! :)

I use an ancient SG08B case with my ITX build. Will move to something more modern I think next year like a Fractal node 304. And I already use a 1080 FE and a 6700K with no limits at all. You get full boost all the time and you can even use bigger coolers. You dont have to compromise on anything going ITX as such, but instead getting everything in a nice tiny package. :)

Back