Potential Navi Benchmark: Better Graphics, Lower Compute Performance than Vega 64

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
An unknown AMD GPU (66AF:F1) has appeared on CompuBench, and some believe it could be a Navi part. GFXBench scores allude to a card that exceeds the Radeon RX Vega 64 in graphics capability but falls behind in certain compute tests, even against the Vega 56. Notebook Check advises this could actually be a Vega 20 GPU (“we've seen Linux drivers listing 0x66AF as Vega 20”).

A comparison of the GFXBench scores of the AMD 66AF:F1 with the Radeon RX Vega 64 shows that the purported Navi variant leads significantly in the Aztec Ruins Normal Tier (1080p) and High Tier tests 1440p). This could imply that GCN6 in Navi is tailored more towards raw graphics than compute. We aren't exactly sure about the specs of this particular entry but expect to see variants with anywhere between 20 to 40 higher clocked CUs when Navi launches.

So a graphics card that is good at graphics.

So crazy it just might work!

yeah, we see the 1660TI has a small die and still does good, I wonder what it would do with faster memory modules as it seems a bit memory b. starved.
if they just used all the die size for gaming performance on 2080ti we'd see 50-60% faster than 1080TI! :O

The news is a a hoax. Data does not support it.

while I'm inclined to believe you based on me not putting too much faith in ANY 'leak', you do not present a great argument, in fact, you don't present ANY argument.

In other words: you didn't take a look at the data. Good.

Nice Try. I said there wasn't MUCH data. But the burden of proof is on the person presenting the case. You say this news is a hoax, that the data does not support it. "The news" and "Data" seem to be the same thing in this news story. The story is about a single score in a single benchmark. The story IS the data. So you're saying "This news story is a hoax. The news story doesn't support it."

You can see why I'm inclined to NOT believe you when you say something invalidates itself.

From a power, heat and cost perspective, a gaming architecture without the professional compute performance is welcomed.

Unlike Polaris, I hope Navi is scaled to the high end.

Good at graphics, weak at computer. Just what Nvidia had been doing for years until their utter dominance allowed them to put compute features into their consumer cards. The "do all things" architecture that ATI/AMD worked up was good in concept, but didn't generate sales. It was nice to have low-priced cards that could do some good OpenCL accelleration, I hope AMD keeps a line that will do that.

Back