Potential Hot Deals to come: Circuit City to close all stores by 3/31

When CompUSA closed I got about a year worth of SOE gametime cards for $20, so can't complain about that. Most of the stuff they had available was pure crap though. Figure I'll check the CC around here in March sometime.

The comp USA thing was a joke where I live. I read the same liquidator is handling this one so my expectations are extremely low.

The comp USA thing was a joke where I live. I read the same liquidator is handling this one so my expectations are extremely low.

Ouch, yeah here it seemed like people knew what was going on and waited... on the last few days at both Comp USA locations (Austin) there were people buying stacks of boxed notebooks for 50-70% off (so that's probably like 30-50% off online prices etc.) My friend made some crazy cash off HP/Sony notebooks. It also seemed like during the last few weeks you could haggle with the liquidators if you were buying multiple things etc.

The biggest jokes I saw were the liquidators trying to sell broken TV's for almost full price (clearly cracked screens) and then selling software at near full price with no product keys.

Difference in CompUSA and CC:

CC is declaring chapter 7, which is a liquidation bankruptcy. CompUSA sold before they were about to declare chapter 11, which is a restructuring bankruptcy.

So hopefully, the sales will reflect the different intention for shutting down.

Great there goes my extended service plans

I have a plan on my TV and a Windows AC

I have a plan on my TV and a Window AC unit

damn, I just bought a fridge @ CC with a 35 year guarantee! :mad:

I have a plan on my TV and a Windows AC

Usually the service will goto the individual service company. I am not too familar with CC's warraty programs, but I know when Ultimate went under their contracts were covered by WarrenTech... I am sure something like this will happen with CC.

the CC's in my area already closed and their sales really sucked..... it's like they jacked up the prices on everything and then did a mark down of xx percentage. boooooo CC

the CC's in my area already closed and their sales really sucked..... it's like they jacked up the prices on everything and then did a mark down of xx percentage. boooooo CC
Ditto. I got off maybe 25% on an ink cartridge, that wasn't marked. I think the bad thing the internet did for bargain hunters/vultures is ruin B&M bankruptcy sales. They must sell everything to some liquidator who offloads it on eBay, for minimal loss. Somehow they rarely give big discounts, so they must have a better alternative and methinks that is eBay.

Ditto. I got off maybe 25% on an ink cartridge, that wasn't marked. I think the bad thing the internet did for bargain hunters/vultures is ruin B&M bankruptcy sales. They must sell everything to some liquidator who offloads it on eBay, for minimal loss. Somehow they rarely give big discounts, so they must have a better alternative and methinks that is eBay.

This.

we all buy straight from hong kong via ebay for nearly at-cost prices and then were worried about the local box stores closing?

LCD's (stuck pixels)

stick with a good brand like samsung and they will cross ship a replacement. i simply told them i wasnt sure if i liked the screen, and they told me to wait till i get a newer dated one, compare them, and ship back whatever one i dont like.

I hope the potential hot deals are better then when CompUSA liquidated their inventory. The only real deals found at compusa was on the damn shelving.

no shit, their going out of business deals were just bringing their stuff down from the inflated prices to around normal pricing...

it was teh suck...

we all buy straight from hong kong via ebay for nearly at-cost prices and then were worried about the local box stores closing?

Not in this case. Circuit City not too long ago fired all their best talent and hired $7/hour high school kids to help their customers. I went in there several times before the big firing, and several times after. Made it a different store. They saved temporarily by cutting their highest paid workers, but shortly after this is when my local Best Buy started getting even some of the most loyal CC shoppers. They were just getting crap service over there.

And firing all your highest paid and most knowledgeable people doesn't bode well in the media either.

Combine sluggish sales with the current economy, and a diminished reputation and customer service and that should be enough to do any retailer in. eBay and Amazon are definitely a threat, but if you have good service, and some good sales you can make it.

Just came from my local CC. Just 10% off of everything in the store, 20% off of some accessories... Nothing worth mentioning. Probably have to wait for a few weeks before they really slash prices.

What a JOKE, I just came from there and tried to buy some blank CD's and they were on sale for $9.99 me and two other people were at the register buying the same thing and Guess what? They were now $13.99 at reg price then 10% off that LOL we all asked why the sign says $9.99 and they said they had to take them off sale for the closing and then knock 10% off that WTH and sale signs are all over the store, I bet there are going to be some pissed off people, NO WONDER THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS with service like that who needs their stuff. They really need to take down all the sale prices that came out Wed if they are going to do that on their products.

Not in this case. Circuit City not too long ago fired all their best talent and hired $7/hour high school kids to help their customers. I went in there several times before the big firing, and several times after. Made it a different store. They saved temporarily by cutting their highest paid workers, but shortly after this is when my local Best Buy started getting even some of the most loyal CC shoppers. They were just getting crap service over there.

And firing all your highest paid and most knowledgeable people doesn't bode well in the media either.

Combine sluggish sales with the current economy, and a diminished reputation and customer service and that should be enough to do any retailer in. eBay and Amazon are definitely a threat, but if you have good service, and some good sales you can make it.

+1. Firing your best employees is the absolute worst thing you can do. CC used to be my store of choice when all of their salespeople were still on commission. Those guys had incentives to sell something so you could haggle a little for a better deal. Not to mention, they knew what they were talking about. Ever since those people were let go, the store has been in a steady decline since. Here in OKC, there's an area called Quail Springs which is one of many locations in this city where we have a cluster of chain stores. BB and CC are literally a few hundred yards from each other. During this last Christmas season, the parking lot for BB was packed yet maybe 20 cars at CC. This despite CC being newer, easier to navigate in, and not as cramped.

They just could never recover from those firings. Not to worry, someone else will be up and coming and will take CC's place. I'm hoping Fry's starts to open up more stores.

Went to my Circuit City yesterday. The place was more packed than I had ever seen it, you could barely get in the parking lot. Talked to a buddy of mine about the deals. Everything in the store is 10% off. Movies, DVD's, software, games were 20% off. Some accessories, media, etc was up to 30% off. They also had bargain games marked down from $15-$20 to $10. I looked around for a while and there are some nice deals to be had. You also can't go by just the sticker price on the shelf, they obviously don't have time ( or care ) to change every price in the store.

I ended up buying a new Guitar Hero Guitar for $10, the price at Best Buy down the street was $40. Also flirted with the cute cashier a little bit, and she told me bring her whatever I want and she'll give me a nice price. ;-)

I would love to find some good blu ray deals. Won't happen with discounts coming off MSRP though.

I went the other day and saw a Logitech G7 for $119.99 with a 10% discount. :p

Blu-ray movies were all $34.99 with a 25% discount. hah

Sadly, half the store was already gone and they said sales were the highest they've been since in the history they've opened the store years ago. LOL

I would love to find some good blu ray deals. Won't happen with discounts coming off MSRP though.
Sony BDU-X10S, sealed/retail was $120 in the Wayne, NJ store. I almost bought the only one, then realized that a) it's Sony, and b) I haven't bought a single DVD in the past year.

Couple of decent deals there, such as various pieces of furniture, but for the most part, it's the same shell game. All prices were jacked up 40% before the 30% off sale started...

I bought a LG 22" LCD monitor a few weeks ago (2 ms refresh time, really nice picture) for $239. Now, they're selling it for $289 AFTER the so-called 30% discount.

Back