Potential Hot Deals to come: Circuit City to close all stores by 3/31

Noooooooooo, the dynamic competition between BB and CC always resulted in some kind of deal for me. This pisses me off, now BB will be the only big electronics store of it's kind, now that there is no CompUSA or CC.

I hope the potential hot deals are better then when CompUSA liquidated their inventory. The only real deals found at compusa was on the damn shelving.

at least we have 2 best buys here in town! oh wait, that doesn't help prices....

Noooooooooo, the dynamic competition between BB and CC always resulted in some kind of deal for me. This pisses me off, now BB will be the only big electronics store of it's kind, now that there is no CompUSA or CC.

Well Sears and a few other retailers are still kicking so I wouldn't say BB has zero competition.

I can echo your sentiment. Many a good deal from CC and pricematches, etc.

I also liked the fact that CC and BB many times carried different brands giving more variety.

There has been a CC in Fairview Heights Illinois as long as I can remember going to the St Louis area.

Got a hot deal on a BD LG drive a month back at a closing store out by Lambert Airport in Ferguson, 40% off shelf price, last one. Ironically we were going to St Louis tomorrow and the sales will start tomorrow. I'm sure 10% at first though.

Well Sears and a few other retailers are still kicking so I wouldn't say BB has zero competition.

Not zero competition, since there is walmart and other places, but CC and BB were the two giants in it. Sears isn't the plethora of deals like it was in the past, but still bears careful watching.

ima go buy the biggest tv there and do a lay away plan . (im just kidding i know it doesnt work like that)

Don't worry it'll only take another 6 years or so for bestbuy to cripple too. They take pride in selling out their product selection to the company with the most expensive product.

When one of the CC's in town closed last month, I got a good deal on a DSLR. Maybe this time I can get a good deal on an in dash nav system.

I agree about Sears not being a great place to shop if you're looking for deals. Even with CC going out of business, I highly doubt we will see BB increasing prices because they are the one left still standing. Since everyone is being cautious about what they spend their money on, it would be foolish for BB to drive everyone away. Because who will be there to welcome shoppers and gladly take their money, yep you're right walmart.

CC usually had good deals on lcds and plasmas compared to BB, but when your cs sucks ass, you fail.

I agree about Sears not being a great place to shop if you're looking for deals. Even with CC going out of business, I highly doubt we will see BB increasing prices because they are the one left still standing. Since everyone is being cautious about what they spend their money on, it would be foolish for BB to drive everyone away. Because who will be there to welcome shoppers and gladly take their money, yep you're right walmart.

Good point about BB, hadn't thought of that.. One thing on BB, it seems like over the last year they have really begun transitioning into not only a retailer, but service provider too (Geek Squad, Home theatre setups, etc).

Of course CC was trying to do the same thing with 'Firedog' lol, odd name.

CC usually had good deals on lcds and plasmas compared to BB, but when your cs sucks ass, you fail.

Absolutely a business is only as good as the customer service, but both CC and BB have terrible CS. I'm sure everyone has their horror stories about both companies.

Absolutely a business is only as good as the customer service, but both CC and BB have terrible CS. I'm sure everyone has their horror stories about both companies.
reason number 2 is also because BB portrays a friendlier environment with the blue yellow and clean white buildings as opposed to dark CC. Branding also plays a big part.

There goes another electronics store that bit the dust. At one time, CompUSA, BB, Circuit City, and Tweeter were just a mile away from my house. Now, it's Best Buy that's left standing by 3/31/09. Fortunately in Houston, we have Fry's and Micro Center .. but it still sucks that I've got one less place to go to for tech toys and media (even though I hated to go there to buy stuff)

I hope the potential hot deals are better then when CompUSA liquidated their inventory. The only real deals found at compusa was on the damn shelving.

Yeah, these liquidation sales are never hot deals. Expect MSRP. Maybe, what, 5% off?

I never really liked Circuit City.

Always went to Best Buy, or Newegg to get anything. Newegg mostly got most of my tech stuff from there.

Still it is horrible these days.

Hopefully sales (Might) be good. Willing to go give them a try tomorrow.

Good point about BB, hadn't thought of that.. One thing on BB, it seems like over the last year they have really begun transitioning into not only a retailer, but service provider too (Geek Squad, Home theatre setups, etc).

Of course CC was trying to do the same thing with 'Firedog' lol, odd name.

A friend of mine who no longer works for BB, worked in the Geek Squad. I wont speak for every bestbuy or every geek squad team, but the stories she told me about her team and what they would do to customers laptops/desktop or whatever they serviced would make you just livid. If anyone is interested in hearing those stories I can put some up.

I think both CC and BB had a good idea about offering services for those customers without the know-how to do it themselves, but even those services had problems. I guess my point was that even an endless amount of services wont impress me nearly as much as being treated like a valued customer.

Yeah, these liquidation sales are never hot deals. Expect MSRP. Maybe, what, 5% off?

Towards the end the scavengers can score.. as I mentioned I got a LG BD bluray internal recorder for 40% off shelf, ended up walking out for about 145 incl. tax. That's the price of some of the BD PLAYERS at CC and BB.

In this case there won't be other stores that aren't closing to ship stuff to, to avoid marking down the 'good stuff'.

From my experience with the CompUSA sale was everything was marked up and then a 20%, 30%, 40% sign was added to make it seem like OMG 40% off, but in reality, like you said, you were paying MSRP at best.

Although I'm sure there was a few sweat deals to be found, but not for the price I paid just driving down there lol

I was in a CC last night. Frickin' GHOST TOWN!!!! I think I was the only customer in there. I had popped in because it was right next to the Office Depot that I already had to make a stop at.

We have Frys electronics in California and no one comes close to their pricing and deals. Moreover their shear size and range of products is mind boggling as well.

The local circuit city has cash registers that look like they are from 1985.

sadly in my particular neighborhood the circuit city was better than the best buy, the bb managers around here tend to be arrogant and won't bend on anything, even when they are supposed to.

CC has always pricematched, taken coupons when it was iffy, and were extra lenient with delays in my web pickups.

Here's to hoping fry's buys some of their stores

If you've never seen the 60 minutes or 20/20 piece on liquidations, the whole process is a scam.

There are never any deals, they raise the prices to list and then slowly lower them to the original prices.

Then there is the problem of warranties.

We have Frys electronics in California and no one comes close to their pricing and deals. Moreover their shear size and range of products is mind boggling as well.

They are in Il, IN, GA and a few other places. Wish one was closer to me.

oh well.

I'd say that 3 out of every 4 times I go to CC here, I see more tumbleweeds blowing around the store than customers. The employees seem to be off in la-la land most of the time. (I actually overheard two 18'ish year old employees there talking about how one is *trying* to grow facial hair to impress the girls at the big Christmas high school gang-bangorama!)

man I feel really bad for the people who work there, kinda feel bad going in there looking for steals/deals.

I'll be looking online and in store weekly, and checking here of course.

Who still buy electronics locally? I usually go there, check the product, and get it online. Cheaper 90% of the time.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/index.htm?cnn=yes

According to CNN Money they have applied for permission to liquidate all merchandise and close all stores by 3/31. Agreements with liquidation companies already reached.

Bet BB is jumping for joy on this one.

yeah this is a very hot deal. have fun trying to return/fix an item that you bought at CC. Also, have fun driving to CC and wasting gas only to find out that items marked 75% off are marked up extra high.

I don't know about you guys but at CompUSA I made a lot of cash... You gotta play it smart and wait though... like last few weeks of March is when you start checking the store. It is always good to double check prices on the web before pulling the trigger. Everyone is right that the prices will be high at first but towards the end at CompUSA I was getting $200 PSU's for less than $50 and turning them for $175+ each. My only regret is I didn't buy more.

Like I said be careful and don't act stupid like everyone else who will be there day one over paying (these people probably don't even know about the internet...)

Back