Post Your Temps for OC'ed QX CPU's

theseeker

2[H]4U
These chips run hot! I am OC'ed to 3.34 and my load temps are hitting 48C. I have been stable up to 3.6 but my load temps approach 56C. I am curious to find out what others are experiencing? Please post your results.

42C at idle, 56C at 100% load (Orthos for 6 or more hours). The GeminiII does a great job cooling it and the surrounding board, but is HUGE!!!

Q6600 @ 9x333 and stock voltage (lapped), Ultra-120 Extreme (lapped) with Scythe/s-flex SFF21F 1600RPM fan, P5B-Del, P182 case:

lappedtempsuu4.gif

According to the temp guide over @ TH's forum:

Tcase/Tjunction

--60--/--75--75-- Hot
--55--/--70--70-- Warm
--50--/--65--65-- N
--45--/--60--60-- O
--40--/--55--55-- R
--35--/--50--50-- M
--30--/--45--45-- A
--25--/--40--40-- L

--20--/--35--35-- Cool

Remember that your Tcase is read by apps like speedfan, your BIOS, and monitoring apps that came w/ your MB; Tjunction is only read by TAT or Coretemp.

Isn't that info for C2D though? The Quads have higher thermal capabilities.

I was wondering the same thing. The post is great but I need some solid guidlines for the Quad. Strangely my E6600 never exceeded 42C under full load @ 3.6.It appears that there are not many people using Quads.

30's idle, high 40's load.
This is with watercooling though.
QX6700 @ 3.5Ghz, stock voltage.

QX6700 mild OC to 3.0Ghz
Idle temps Prime04 Load Temps
Core 0 48C Core 0 72C
Core 1 44C Core 1 69C
Core 2 47C Core 2 72C
Core 3 43C Core 3 69C

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Had a Thermalright 120Extreme on it, a total POS, replaced it with an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 , temps are same, still wayy to high. Gonna have to lap HS and CPU. Antec 900 Case with 3 120mm intakes, and 1 120mm and 1 200mm exhaust. Case gets plenty of air, ambient temps 75F.
Cannot lower CPU v below 1.36, will not boot to windows any lower. FSB at 1.5v.
2 1gig sticks of OCZ PC2 8500 at 2.1v
FSB at 273, multiplier at 11.
I'm at a loss on why chip is so hot, I've tried different multipliers and FSB speeds, anything near 3.0ghz jumps the temps up too high. I've had it at 3.2, but at silly temps. Right now it's stable, but I will probably lower it as I do not like the temps. I was hoping to have it at lower temps at 3 on air, so I am a bit bummed.

EVGA 680i A1 board.

Oh, and my Tjunction temps on CoreTemp read 100C all the time.?.? Anyone have any idea why?
Chip runs 60C loaded stock.

QX6700 mild OC to 3.0Ghz
Idle temps Prime04 Load Temps
Core 0 48C Core 0 72C
Core 1 44C Core 1 69C
Core 2 47C Core 2 72C
Core 3 43C Core 3 69C

Those temps are too high for only 3 GHz with that chip if they are tcase (speedfan, mbmom, BIOS). I'll bet you $20 your problem is very poor contact between your IHS and HS.

Had a Thermalright 120Extreme on it, a total POS, replaced it with an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 , temps are same, still wayy to high. Gonna have to lap HS and CPU.
What are your temps in TAT?

I'm sure you'll get some amazing decreases in your temps when you do this. I'll also bet your IHS is very concave like mine was on my q6600 before I lapped it.

BTW, the u-120 extreme is a pretty great HS unless you got some bad heatpipes. It is certainly superior to the AFP7. That said, my u-120 extreme was not very flat at all (it was pretty darn convex) before I lapped it. If you didn't return it, I would say invest the time in lapping it and I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with the results.

I'm at a loss on why chip is so hot, I've tried different multipliers and FSB speeds, anything near 3.0ghz jumps the temps up too high. I've had it at 3.2, but at silly temps. Right now it's stable, but I will probably lower it as I do not like the temps. I was hoping to have it at lower temps at 3 on air, so I am a bit bummed.

Again, this is most likely caused by poor contact. The other thing you might wanna try is rotating the HS by 90 degrees to see if that helps out. I also know that you want it attached pretty tightly too; if it's too loose you can see these higher temps.

I'm pretty sure the AFP7 doesn't have a backplate supported attachment system... I've read that without one, the board can literally bend and flex and cause high temps as a result. You might wanna return the AFP7 and use the U-120 X with this chip. The quads are about 2x the heat output of the duals after all.

Oh, and my Tjunction temps on CoreTemp read 100C all the time.?.? Anyone have any idea why?.

I'm pretty sure that is just the "max" tjunction value according to the author of coretemp. I don't believe this is true according to Intel's own documents; it's only 65 °C.

Back