Post your Smoothie/ipcop/etc. specs

Running Untangle for my Home Setup:
  • Intel Celeron 420 (LGA 775)
  • Intel G31 Micro ATX Motherboard
  • Onboard Intel 1000Mbps Nic (WAN)
  • Intel PWLA8391GTL 1000Mbps PCI GT (Lan)
  • 2GB Corsair DDR2 Memory
  • WD 80GB SATA HD

Would I be retarded to replace a WRT54G with a setup like these?

Depends on your needs - if you need traffic shaping, caching, VPN (above 1 user), inspection, etc etc then no, if all you are wanting is a good basic router capable of DHCP and some low throughput (10MB to WAN) with basic QOS then yes :)

I ask because I am heavily taxing my current setup and it leads to a lot of slowness, lockups, and other issues.

Cable Modem -> WRT54G v8 DDWRT
WRT54G v8 -> 6 wireless devices, 2 wired devices, WRT54G v5 DDWRT as Wireless Bridge
WRT54G v5 Wireless Bridge DDWRT -> WRT54GX as WAP, Netgear GS105 GBit Switch
WRT54GX WAP -> 4 wireless devices
Netgear GS105 Switch -> 3 wired devices

Count -
1 Router, 1 Wireless Bridge, 1 WAP, 1 Gbit switch, 10 wireless devices, 5 wired devices

Pretty confusing and drags the main WRT54G v8 to its knees. It needs to be rebooted at least once a day, the load averages are always pretty high, and the web interface is near unresponsive. Everything other than the main router is great (hell, the bridges uptime is 103 days at this point), so there lies my weakpoint.

edit: screw it, ordered an ALIX setup.

Last edited:
Running pfsense on a Firebox x700 box. Might be adding untangle to the network someplace in the future.

well the Compaq I had before, the motherboard decided to start freak out...

so I moved to a recently acquired eMachines that had a dead hard drive
specs
2.53GHz Intel Celeron D
1GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
2x Intel Pro/100 S NICS
40GB Seagate IDE Drive.
PFSense 1.2.3

P0606100000.jpg

I'm using a Asus-WL520Gu for wireless capability, and I love how Tomato lets you set the WAN port as part of the lan! Then the Lan goes to a 3COM 24 Port Gigabit Switch

P0606100001.jpg

Since moving to a new box, my ping to Dallas has dropped from 36 ms to 7ms!

Last edited:
I'd replace the PSU in the emachine if it still has the stock PSU. its made by BestTec (HP used them for a while, chances ur compaq had one). When they die they usually kill the board and it many cases the RAM and CPU as well.

Doesn't have to be high wattage, just a decent brand.

other than that I like ur setup.

Also DD-WRT allows you to set the WAN port as LAN port as well, if you ever wanna try it out.

I plan to do that actually, this emachines I actually bought new back in 2004 to introduce my grandma, to computers... and I recently upgraded her to a Lenovo ThinkCentre with a 3GHz S775 P4.

I do appreciate the reminder though! :)

I am a long time DD-WRT user, but have found Tomoato to be more stable . Plus I prefer the Tomato gui over DD-WRT's

UPDATE

The Compaw uses a 250W HiPro.. The Emachines does appear to have a bestec PSU, I say appears because they have the label underneath the PSU, and the cooler blocks about 60% of the label, but through pictures I was able to confirm it is a bestec.. Do you think I could just switch over the HiPro until I can afford a decent PSU? I don't know a lot about the quality of OEM Powersupplies... I do know that you NIEVER go cheap on a PSU, running a Corsair 750TX on my primary rig..

Last edited:
I ask because I am heavily taxing my current setup and it leads to a lot of slowness, lockups, and other issues.

Cable Modem -> WRT54G v8 DDWRT
WRT54G v8 -> 6 wireless devices, 2 wired devices, WRT54G v5 DDWRT as Wireless Bridge
WRT54G v5 Wireless Bridge DDWRT -> WRT54GX as WAP, Netgear GS105 GBit Switch
WRT54GX WAP -> 4 wireless devices
Netgear GS105 Switch -> 3 wired devices

Count -
1 Router, 1 Wireless Bridge, 1 WAP, 1 Gbit switch, 10 wireless devices, 5 wired devices

Pretty confusing and drags the main WRT54G v8 to its knees. It needs to be rebooted at least once a day, the load averages are always pretty high, and the web interface is near unresponsive. Everything other than the main router is great (hell, the bridges uptime is 103 days at this point), so there lies my weakpoint.

edit: screw it, ordered an ALIX setup.

What ALIX Model and what case did you order for it???? I had kinda forgotten about these and might switch from the emachines to this!!

wow that's not a bad deal, especially for a corsair PSU! Thanks man!

What ALIX Model and what case did you order for it???? I had kinda forgotten about these and might switch from the emachines to this!!

They all work, just pick the one that's appropriate for your needs (port count etc.) and the matching case. Don't forget all the 'accessories' you need to buy too (AC adapter, CF card, wireless card + antenna if you want that).

I haven't used them, but NetGate sells kits if you don't want the hassle: http://www.netgate.com/index.php?cPath=60_84&osCsid=81f3a90aa8428ee3e0eb0f3b9b41ad56

They all work, just pick the one that's appropriate for your needs (port count etc.) and the matching case. Don't forget all the 'accessories' you need to buy too (AC adapter, CF card, wireless card + antenna if you want that).

I haven't used them, but NetGate sells kits if you don't want the hassle: http://www.netgate.com/index.php?cPath=60_84&osCsid=81f3a90aa8428ee3e0eb0f3b9b41ad56

Sweet thanks for the info!

I will probably just stay with the Asus router for wireless atm... but that would be a nice upgrade in the near future.

EDIT
Looking at that Netgate site, the RouterStation Pro Case, made me wonder, if netgear is using a slightly modded Routerstation board on their WDNR3700?

Last edited:
TBH I've never really thought the wireless support in pfSense was very good, it's pretty rudimentary (basically acts just like any other interface) and I use either a dd-wrt access point or commercial-grade wireless gear connected to a physical interface (or vlan) instead.

well my emachines just got a decent upgrade!

I had forgotten I had a 2.8GHz Northwood P4 in my parts bin, so I swapped the Celeron for that, and switched in the HiPro PSU for now.

Been running Astaro HGW on a P4 3.0 H/T, Asus P4C800 mobo, 2 gigs of RAM, pair of Intel PCI NICs....will run that for a few more weeks, hope to get a Supermicro 1U Atom d510 unit to stick PFSense on soon.

Smoothwall (soon to be inplace of old custom linux firewall)

PIII
256mb
3 gig cards
30gig ATA drive

does the job and was free!

Built a new pfsense box yesterday, purchased a used neoware ca22 thin client

Neoware ca22
1.0 ghz via
512 ddr2
intel pro 1000
onboard 10/100

Works pretty well and cost me only 30 dollars shipped on ebay

Upgraded my Untangle Box this week.

(Older Specs) -> http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035725439&postcount=323

System Specs:
  • Intel Xeon 3075 (C2D @ 2.66Ghz)
  • Intel G31 Micro ATX Motherboard
  • Onboard Intel 100Mbps Nic (WAN)
  • Intel PWLA8391GTL 1000Mbps PCI GT (Lan)
  • 2GB Corsair DDR2 Memory
  • WD 640GB AAKS SATA HD

Since I upgraded my Cable Internet Service to 25/3, I noticed the system staying above 1.0 CPU load (during high volume transfers) on the older Celeron 420 cpu and download speeds were not hitting their peak during all times.

After the upgrade, speeds began to reach their max speed again,even during very high traffic times on my local network.

Since I upgraded my Cable Internet Service to 25/3, I noticed the system staying above 1.0 CPU load (during high volume transfers) on the older Celeron 420 cpu and download speeds were not hitting their peak during all times.

Wow, I knew that Untangle was heavy, but that's nuts.

Wow, I knew that Untangle was heavy, but that's nuts.

I honestly think that the Celeron 420 is just too underpowered for Untangle with high loads.
It does take more horsepower then other software avaialble, but is very easy to use and has worked great for me in my setup.

I am not expert on Linux cpu load numbers, but it went from 1.00 down to 0.007-0.100 with the new processor at full load. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can help with the explination on that aspect.

My clearOS multiwan box.
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 2.1Ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
2GB DDR2 memory
(2x) Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 (PCI)
(2x) Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L (PCIe)
Western Digital 74GB raptor.
Some compaq case and hipro powersupply since this was built out of spare parts minus the motherboard it only cost me $69. :p

IMG_20100909_193458.jpg

This is hilarious... I have a Smoothwall serving 80+ machines running....

P3-500
Intel 440BX
512MB
6.4GB HDD(can't remember the brand... probably an old Quantum)

Why on earth do you guys need all these super-fast machines to play the role of Gateway??

I am not expert on Linux cpu load numbers, but it went from 1.00 down to 0.007-0.100 with the new processor at full load. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can help with the explination on that aspect.

If you're just looking for an explanation of what the number means, it is the average number of processes either running on the CPU or ready to run. So if you have two CPUs, a load average of 2.0 basically means there's always a process running on each CPU. A load average over 2.0 means that on average there are processes waiting to run as well. It's not strictly a 'cpu load' number though, since waiting processes may just need to post an I/O request or such, so machines can still be responsive even with load average over <ncpus>.

I'm just surprised the Celeron wasn't fast enough is all. I've got embedded boards with 500MHz processors that can handle more traffic than that (with pfSense), though granted not all of Untangle's UTM features, I just would've thought the grunt of the Celeron would've been enough to make up for it.

I've also joined the "smaller/lesser/better" club.....got tired of running loud honking servers that jacked my electric bill just for a *nix firewall.

Snagged a SuperMicro MBD-X7SPE-HF-O Atom D510 dual core 1.66, onboard dual Intel gigabit NICs, onboard IPMI remote management module, 2 gigs of RAM, Seagate Pipeline low power consumption ultra quiet hard drive, SuperMicro small 1U rack mount chassis with front I/O ports.

Ran Untangle great, currently running Astaro, will probably have PFSense on it soon for a while.

I'll post pics soon, her her mounted in a 12U MidAtlantic cabinet.

I've also joined the "smaller/lesser/better" club.....got tired of running loud honking servers that jacked my electric bill just for a *nix firewall.

Snagged a SuperMicro MBD-X7SPE-HF-O Atom D510 dual core 1.66, onboard dual Intel gigabit NICs, onboard IPMI remote management module, 2 gigs of RAM, Seagate Pipeline low power consumption ultra quiet hard drive, SuperMicro small 1U rack mount chassis with front I/O ports.

Ran Untangle great, currently running Astaro, will probably have PFSense on it soon for a while.

I'll post pics soon, her her mounted in a 12U MidAtlantic cabinet.

looks nice, but did you get a good deal on it? newegg's got it for $220, that seems too high for a firewall box for home though. I would like to get mine running on something with pcie so I can run one of my quadport intels, but the p4 dell is serving well enough for now.

looks nice, but did you get a good deal on it? newegg's got it for $220, that seems too high for a firewall box for home though. I would like to get mine running on something with pcie so I can run one of my quadport intels, but the p4 dell is serving well enough for now.

I got most of it from Newegg
Supermicro 1U case, $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152107

Supermicro Atom D510 board with dual Intel gigabit and IPMI remote module, $219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182238

Seagate Pipeline drive, designed for extra quiet, extra low power, extra low noise, 24x7 running in tight spaces like DVRs. It's an ideal drive for firewall appliances. $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148556

I have lots of spare ram around, so had extra SODIMMS.

DSC_0908-1.jpg

DSC_0911-1.jpg

Screen%20shot%202010-09-20%20at%2012.29.25%20AM.png

Alix 2D3 running pfSense 1.2.3-RELEASE
500 MHz AMD Geode, 256mb DDR2
Code:
[[email protected]]/root(1): uptime
12:31AM  up 112 days, 11:11, 2 users, load averages: 0.89, 0.39, 0.15

It does alright, running a WiFi network with a captive portal and 4-5 devices on normally and 5-8 devices normally on the wired network. Pushed 2tb back and forth over the 112 days it's been up - haven't rebooted since I put it together. :)

Ended up finding it mislabeled on eBay and scored the board, enclosure, power adapter, 2gb CF card, and wifi card for like $80.

Last edited:
I've had IPCOP 1.4.21 on a few different boxes

First was a Dell GX110
P3-866 @ 433MHz on 1.3v (pin-modded to 66FSB and volts)
192MB PC100 RAM
1GB SD card using an SD-to-IDE adapter
Onboard 3Com 10/100 (red)
PCI 3Com 10/100 (green)
PCI Linksys 10/100 (orange)

Ran great, drew only ~24w power measured by my kill-a-watt. I didn't like the look of the case though. I was going to cut it in half (front half was for HD/CD/floppy which it didn't have), but it wouldn't have gone well with my rack-mount stuff.

Replaced that with..
SuperMicro 1U half-depth chassis
SuperMicro P4SGE with Pentium 4-M 1.6GHz @ 1.2GHz (pin-modded to 1.1v)
1GB-2GB (don't remember what is in it currently) PC2100 DDR RAM
1GB SD card using an SD-to-IDE adapter
Dual onboard gigabit NICs (green and orange)
PCI 3Com 10/100 (red)

That is what is currently in use and is using 40w.

This is being replaced with..
Rackable Systems 2U chassis
Intel SE7500WV2 server motherboard
2x Xeon 2.2GHz w/ HT (may attempt to pin-mod the voltage down slightly)
3GB ECC Registered PC2100 DDR RAM
Dell PERC4/SC SCSI RAID controller
2x 36.7GB Seagate Cheetah 15k RPM U160 SCSI drives in RAID1
Dual onboard gigabit NICs

The plan is to run ESXi 3.5u5 on it with a 'hard drive' installation of IPCOP (one NIC will be green, one NIC will be red, one virtual NIC will be orange). Will be moving my Ubuntu Server webserver to a VM on this box as well, and that will be connected to the virtual NIC. Also will be running UDA as my PXE boot server on this machine.

Playing with ESXi is fun :) Picked up a couple dual Opteron 275 machines to play with ESXi 4.1

I may have posted this before, not sure.

My pfSense Router / print server, it needed a little clean up to get rid of some dust so I thought I would take a few quick shots.

The Outside - Blackberry to show you scale and my feet to stand on :D

DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4245.jpg

The Insides - 10p on photo 2 to show scale

DSCF4246.jpg

DSCF4248.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

The case has a poor setup, no matter what its not possible to fit this case with the DVD drive due to all its own power cables!

Astaro Security Gateway Box:

Dell PowerEdge 2550
2x PIII 1.4ghz
4 GB RAM
Onboard Intel Nic 10/100
Onboard Broadcom Nic 10/100/100
PCI-X Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port

Back