Post your Smoothie/ipcop/etc. specs

Figure I may as well post this here too....

AUT_1902.jpg

Nokia IP330 running pfSense.......400mhz, 512 RAM, 4 Gig CF card. Replaced the fans in it and moved them to the 5V line, also added some heatsinks in some key areas, runs pretty much silent now. Five interfaces total, pretty nice. Very quick also, handles all my connection needs including VPN work without breaking a sweat.

How did you install 512mb of ram in nokia ip330??

i tryed but my nokia ip330 see only 256mb of ram...

i have 2 identical ram bank but it sees only one even if i reverse them...

please someone could help me!

Figure I may as well post this here too....

AUT_1902.jpg

Nokia IP330 running pfSense.......400mhz, 512 RAM, 4 Gig CF card. Replaced the fans in it and moved them to the 5V line, also added some heatsinks in some key areas, runs pretty much silent now. Five interfaces total, pretty nice. Very quick also, handles all my connection needs including VPN work without breaking a sweat.

Specs of the Sun servers?

Specs of the Sun servers?

Netra x1s, ~400 mHz SPARC processors, somewhere between 256 megs and 4 gigs of pc133 ECC memory. One or two IDE disks. Small but fairly slow by today's standards. At work we're replacing them with x4150s that benchmark literally a hundred times better per core, with eight times as many cores.

Replaced my NIC's to Intel 10/1000 Pro's and also no more IDE hard drive. Booting from CF card. ;)

img0320sd4.jpg

img0321bu8.jpg

img0323mz3.jpg

img0324fs0.jpg

EMM EMM nothing like old school SECC II action man.

With NO DUST.

I would say get a larger CF card, my 1gig is maxxed out from log files and may have caused problems with IP COP...

Netra x1s, ~400 mHz SPARC processors, somewhere between 256 megs and 4 gigs of pc133 ECC memory. One or two IDE disks. Small but fairly slow by today's standards. At work we're replacing them with x4150s that benchmark literally a hundred times better per core, with eight times as many cores.

Interesting. What are they (yours) for?

I've considered grabbing a SUN 1u on ebay for cheap to piddle with. I've already got a Pentium MMX 166 that needs to be used (either server of some type or a Linux retro rig).

Interesting. What are they (yours) for?
Low-usage web server, backup MX, that kind of thing. Like I said, they're at work, and we're replacing them because they're astoundingly slow.
I've considered grabbing a SUN 1u on ebay for cheap to piddle with. I've already got a Pentium MMX 166 that needs to be used (either server of some type or a Linux retro rig).
Honestly, I don't think these machines are worth the power to keep them running. They draw as much power as my home Core 2 Quads do, and get way less done with that power. I would spend the money elsewhere. Even though they only cost $50 each, you're spending it the wrong way. Unless you really want to play around with a different ISA, buy something else.

Honestly, I don't think these machines are worth the power to keep them running. They draw as much power as my home Core 2 Quads do, and get way less done with that power. I would spend the money elsewhere. Even though they only cost $50 each, you're spending it the wrong way. Unless you really want to play around with a different ISA, buy something else.

Actually I've always wanted to play around with a different architecture other than the x86 platform.

Not sure I'll bother though, I just got the itch to play with some old hardware (the things you learn about stuff that is almost as old as you ;) )

Low-usage web server, backup MX, that kind of thing. Like I said, they're at work, and we're replacing them because they're astoundingly slow.

Don't have any extras at work that you could thrash and mail out for shipping cost do you?

Don't have any extras at work that you could thrash and mail out for shipping cost do you?

I agree with Swatbat.

Instead of trashing them, remove the hard drives (probably have to anyway for security) and sell them or give them away for free+shipping. They still have life in them.

I'm about to get a low power Untangle box and am considering these parts:

Jetway J7F4K motherboard and VIA C7 CPU @ 1.5GHz, CPU is only 12W
Dual gigabit LAN, DDR2, IDE, SATA, S3 gfx
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11337

With this case/PSU
mini ITX Morex T3300 case with 60W PSU
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11602
Picture links are on the right, here is one of them:
http://www2.multithread.co.uk/mtcsh...roducts/T3300_Mini-ITX_Case_-_Black_inbox.jpg

This should make a sweet unit for about £150 :)
I can report back on how it performs if anyone is interested.

Can anyone tell me if the VIA C7 1.5GHz CPU is good enough to run Untangle with 2 workstations?

My new pfsense box:

DELL PowerEdge 1650
Pentium 3 Xeon 1.13GHz
2GB PC133 SRDRAM
9GB SCSI Disk

Running pfsense 1.2 protecting 4 desktops and 4 servers at home, maybe a little overkill but it was the lowest powered rackmount box I had available. I'll post pictures of the rack in the gallery when I get it finished and cleaned up.

Can anyone tell me if the VIA C7 1.5GHz CPU is good enough to run Untangle with 2 workstations?
I have been running an IPCop with a 400MHz processor with 128MB RAM serving 5 users. It does not even work hard.

My Specs: pFsense - Opty 144 + 512MB DDR + 120GB SATA150
Box is currently down for some hardware changes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a mobile audio rack. They make a bunch of different types if you look around.

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum!

Anyway, here's my IPCOP specs:
Celeron 440
Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
picoPSU 12v + edac 80w power brick
1gb CF card
1gb generic DDR2-800 RAM.
1x Realtek Gigabit on-board + 2x 100mbit Realtek PCI cards.
1x Noctua NF-R8 80mm fan.

I made the case for it out of MDF. It's reasonably small and super quiet (can't hear it - it has the U.L.N.A. adapter plugged in, and CPU stays around 35°C). I made the case myself cause I wanted something small enough to fit on top of a speaker (where my ADSL modem, etc are), which sits directly across from my bed, so I put all the lights (HDD, PWR) on the back of the case. It's also very efficient and only draws 25w from the wall :)

Here's some pics:
Inside:
P1010679640.jpg

Back:
P1010680640.jpg

Front:
P1010683640.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a 2.5" HDD for it, but I'm tossing up whether to get a 7200 or 5400rpm one, or just replace my current laptop HDD and use that.

I need to get a CF to IDE adapter.

I grabbed a Via EPIA M10000 with 512 DDR off criagslist for $40 Friday, tossed IPcop on it, and ill be damned if firefox dosent load 10x faster then the crappy sonicwall tzw it replaced.

Only have 3 nic's (2 via pci riser+ 2 intel nics). I will end up with 4 once my 4 port PCI card shows up.

Incoming via UPS

ECS PMI8M Intel Celeron M 600MHz 479 Intel 852GM Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

APEX MI-100 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply

Putting in a stick of 512 and a 2gb CF card

newegg stuff = $144.95
2gb cf card = 30
ram = had it so long i dont even remember what i paid for it

Pretty budget and power-minded build.
Probably going to use pfsense or m0n0wall. Used IPcop for a few years until DD-wrt matured enough to use as a primary gateway but want more power than 200mhz ARM again.

generic whitebox system I threw together probably 5yrs ago?
don't remember the mobo manufacturer
p3 450mhz
256mb PC133 RAM
15GB WD IDE 5400RPM HDD
generic 40x CDROM
1 d-link 10/100 DFE-530TX NIC (Red Interface)
1 Intel 10bt NIC (blue interface)
1 generic 10/100 NIC (Green Interface)
all in a Enlight desktop case, sitting on a 2U shelf in a half 2post rack.

Running IPCop 1.4.21. Blue interface has my wireless network for home plus is running a caching proxy server. Great for doing WindowsUpdates on customer's computers. Sucks the updates off the router's hdd instead of off the net.

What I'd like to do seeing people's posts here is downsize the power a bit. I hear the Intel Atom CPUs/Mobos don't use much power at all. Cheap too. Either throw in a large CF card or a laptop hdd to save power and space. Not sure if I'd keep the same case or go with an ITX.

I hear the Intel Atom CPUs/Mobos don't use much power at all.

not exactly.
Intel paired a 4 watt cpu with a 25 watt chipset. I'd have gotten one too if it wasn't for that.

Still low power but even an old p3 can do 30 watts system total if you're careful.

Untangle box running on a HP desktop...

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2 GHz
1280 MB DDR
triple 3com 905b nics

The number of users going through this server has increased so I have ust upgraded to....

Compaq DL360
768MB RAM
2 x 9.1GB 10K ULTA3 SCSI Hard Drives
2 x PIII 1.13 GHz CPUs

Wow real high spec ;)

Ubuntu Server
Squid
Dansguardian
Webmin
SARG

How can they get all that in to a 1U case??

dscf3676wr9.jpg

PIII - really cool running, hence Core2 having more in common with the PIII than the P4

dscf3677mx0.jpg

Just incase you where not 100% sure who produced it.

dscf3688uy2.jpg

Doubt I will be running 3D Mark any time soon.

dscf3682rp4.jpg

Fiber FTW

dscf3679hd6.jpg

1 x 256MB and 1 x 512MB Compaq 133 SDRAM (ECC)

dscf3683qh5.jpg

64MB Ram (SCSI Controller)

dscf3690cp9.jpg

1 of the 9.1gig 10K SCSI Drives

dscf3692xs7.jpg

In the botom of rack 1 (The space below is a for a 2 x Quad Core Terminal Server with 2008 Server 64 bit. I haven't got round to fitting it yet!)

dscf3691cx7.jpg

Decided on pfsense for now, using a P3 1ghz, 3x 10/100 NICs, 512mb ram, 80gb hdd.
Running Transparent squid at the moment, going to setup the 3rd NIC to be a captive portal.
Tidy little case, my NICs didn't have half height plates - need to make something for them!
network1.jpg

Up on the shelf, the monitor/serial cables have been replaced by SSH/Network UPS now and I've fixed the BIOS to boot with no keyboard :)
network2.jpg

Everything but my UPS:
network3.jpg

Nice firewall Jay_Oasis. Mind me asking how many users this thing is serving?

Currently about 40 to 60 Thin Cleints in 4 Locations and I would still say it was overpowered. The Terminal services are hosted locally via a 2mb/2mb MPLS backbone on a 10mb bearer so it was pretty easy to setup.

ipcop.png

My IPCop Box:

Chenbro micro atx case
Pentium III 933mhz
512mb PC133
20gb hdd
On board Intel NIC for red, Intel PRO/100 S For Blue and Orange, and a 3com 3C509B for Green.

Celeron 733MHZ CPU,
256MB RAM,
1GB CF Card
Dual Onboard Intel 10/100 NICS
I'll be modding it to add a 3rd when the parts arrive.
Currently trying out ZeroShell to see if I like it. Haven't decided fully yet.
It used to be a VPN Gateway, so its job in life hasn't changed too much.

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

i just set up my untangle server on this:

1ghz Athlon Socket A
1gb DDR 400 Ram
Asus A7V-VM motherboard (if i remember correctly)
40gb PATA HD

now, i never expected the thing to be blazing fast but it does seem to be a bit slow when accessing the web interface (and WAAAAY slow when directly on the machine).

i was thinking about upgrading it, though i've also considered pfsense.

i just set up my untangle server on this:

1ghz Athlon Socket A
1gb DDR 400 Ram
Asus A7V-VM motherboard (if i remember correctly)
40gb PATA HD

now, i never expected the thing to be blazing fast but it does seem to be a bit slow when accessing the web interface (and WAAAAY slow when directly on the machine).

i was thinking about upgrading it, though i've also considered pfsense.

give it a faster cpu.

give it a faster cpu.

yeah, i thought about that though i was trying to avoid spending any money on it unless absolutely necessary. if i have to i'll pick up an athlon x2 combo from newegg and some ram... should only set me back about $100.

i might give pfsense a shot just to see if it work better so maybe i can get some more life out of this machine.

yeah, i thought about that though i was trying to avoid spending any money on it unless absolutely necessary. if i have to i'll pick up an athlon x2 combo from newegg and some ram... should only set me back about $100.

i might give pfsense a shot just to see if it work better so maybe i can get some more life out of this machine.

Wow Laggy on a 1GHz?

I had a smoothwall running on a

Dell GX1
400MHz Intel Pentium II
256MB RAM
20GB 5400RPM HDD
One Integrated 3COM 3c905 NIC
Intel Pro/100 S Nic

and teh server load never got over 2%, even when 6-8 people where accessing it.

Only reason why I don't have it running now is the Integrated nic died of a horrific seizure and I just haven't gotten out to get a new nic.

Wow Laggy on a 1GHz?

I had a smoothwall running on a

Dell GX1
400MHz Intel Pentium II
256MB RAM
20GB 5400RPM HDD
One Integrated 3COM 3c905 NIC
Intel Pro/100 S Nic

and teh server load never got over 2%, even when 6-8 people where accessing it.

Only reason why I don't have it running now is the Integrated nic died of a horrific seizure and I just haven't gotten out to get a new nic.

i've not gotten to put much load on it. the lag i've been experiencing has been from interacting with the administrative access... untangle has a lot of fancy stuff in the interface that smoothwall doesnt.

i've not gotten to put much load on it. the lag i've been experiencing has been from interacting with the administrative access... untangle has a lot of fancy stuff in the interface that smoothwall doesnt.

pfsense is worth a shot. I'm running it on the device i posted above. Been stable since day 1.

What does Untangle do that SW3 with a mod doesn't do? I ran both and just like the other poster the FW is very bloated at best. I also ran PFsence and its very light and has easy to setup mods the community is active but a bit slow, most issue I ran into I found the solution myself before some one replied. I will say either one of those two will do you well. with your specs I was able to run Clarkconnect with no issue Endian with no issues IPcop, so you may want to look at something else for your firewall needs.

***Disclaimer****
I have nothing against Untagle it did not fit my needs and I had the same issue as the poster above even on a 2.4Ghz box with a gig of ram.

I also have a pfSense for captive portal but that is in a VM

I only use this as a captive portal for a wireless internet setup that also has a WPA security. I would never advise anyone to run a true firewall in a VM.

Back