Post your Smoothie/ipcop/etc. specs

Guess I will post mine :)

Smoothwall with latest fixes
Intel P2 or P3 650 I believe (cant remember, its been awhile since i messed with it)
Genuine intel board
256mb Memory
Dual Intel Pro100 NICs

I also did a keyboard LED mod where i took the LED board from a keyboard and made it into a front panel cover that displays the send and receive status and any errors.

I love smoothwall as it has been running without user intervention for years :) (except to updated fixes and change certain network configs).

Update to my config:

Removed Keyboard LED Mod
Upgraded to Smoothwall 3.0
Replaced HDD with a 1.8" HDD w/Adapter (like the ones in Zunes and iPods).

I am really happy with the 1.8" HDD, it is pretty much silent. It is way overkill at 60gb, but I got the drive for free and just bought the adapter for like $10 on eBay so I am happy :cool:

My IPCOP system is running good, however its time to upgrade it. Currently its a PIII 1GHz, 1 gig compact flash drive. But this is in a mid tower case. Its ugly.... I need a smaller form factor though. Something ITX like. Do you know of any ITX boards out there w/ dual LAN? Anyone?

Preferences I'd say a board that uses a mobile P4, I have a 2.2Ghz 400MHz bus mobile CPU that needs a new home. It is true that this may be overkill. But keep in mind I think IPCOP has some good idle cpu thingies it does cause my system runs very cool and idle, and mobile cpu's probably do it better. Only when you generate cert's does it ever get used... but how often is that :)

at home I am running Smoothwall Express 3.0 in a Dell box

2.4 Celeron w/768megs DDR
20GB HDD
2 x Intel Pro 10/100 PCI nics

at work we run several smoothie boxes , the most powerful one is in my lab that I "play" in trying out different mods and what not from home brew section at smoothwall.org forums

SW Express 3.0
Pogo Linux rack mount server
P4 3.4GHZ 1GB DDR
80GB HDD
2 x onboard Intel 10/100/1000 network adapters

Newest home smoothie is a Dell Optiplex GX150.

PIII 1GHz, 512MB, 40GB HDD, Intel GigE
Intel 1000MT Dual-Port
Red+Green, Half-Open

my clarkconnect box
pIII 660mhz
384mb
80gb hdd
2 nics
Now I run Ipcop on:
amd 100mhz
40mb (Might be 36mb I cant remember)
1gb flash card
2 nics
:p
It runs rather nicely. The web interface is a bit sluggish but that is to be expected.

Figure I may as well post this here too....

AUT_1902.jpg

Nokia IP330 running pfSense.......400mhz, 512 RAM, 4 Gig CF card. Replaced the fans in it and moved them to the 5V line, also added some heatsinks in some key areas, runs pretty much silent now. Five interfaces total, pretty nice. Very quick also, handles all my connection needs including VPN work without breaking a sweat.

Well, it's been a while. I've started using my ClarkConnect system for a lot more than firewalling and dansguardian. Sadly, I have discontinued my little guys and recovered the following from work:

Intel 875 board
2.8GHz Prescott (stupid on a Linux box, I'm trying to locate a Northwood)
2GB of DDR
300GB of SATA goodness

Works a lot faster. Web pages load snappy, mail server doesn't have a 15 minute delay between messages, file server runs very fast over the now gigabit connection, and I can now run full-time virus scanning with the new horsepower. I'm happy, but I need to find a less power-sucking CPU. I had a Northwood, but alas, I think it burnt up and I got rid of it. :(

Guess I will post mine :)

Smoothwall with latest fixes
Intel P2 or P3 650 I believe (cant remember, its been awhile since i messed with it)
Genuine intel board
256mb Memory
Dual Intel Pro100 NICs

Update to my config:

Removed Keyboard LED Mod
Upgraded to Smoothwall 3.0
Replaced HDD with a 1.8" HDD w/Adapter (like the ones in Zunes and iPods).

I am really happy with the 1.8" HDD, it is pretty much silent. It is way overkill at 60gb, but I got the drive for free and just bought the adapter for like $10 on eBay so I am happy :cool:

Another update, have switched to a more aggressive setup with smoothwall 3.0.

Now running the Web Proxy which has made page loads much snappier on my not so fast DSL connection ( 512k ), also turned on the QoS, modded the DNS cache to cache more DNS entries, and also have been playing with Dansgaurdian. My box is not quite powerful enough to handle dansgaurdian though and I dont think I really need it at home, so it is just turned off for now.

Figure I may as well post this here too....

AUT_1902.jpg

Nokia IP330 running pfSense.......400mhz, 512 RAM, 4 Gig CF card. Replaced the fans in it and moved them to the 5V line, also added some heatsinks in some key areas, runs pretty much silent now. Five interfaces total, pretty nice. Very quick also, handles all my connection needs including VPN work without breaking a sweat.

Nice job! I managed to buy two IP330's and never got them to work -either with a standard drive or a flash drive. I eventually went to an old Dell Optiplex SFF. I will admit that when I was working on those Nokia's, they definitely needed work on the fans in the rear and better thermal management. Some of those internal components would get really hot. Good to see you solved the problems. I'm probably going to be putting my two units up on eBay either then end of the month or early January since I'm happy with the little Optiplex I'm using...

Home - IPCop: P3 650/256MB SDRAM. Dont know what mobo - its some old oem system. 4x10/100 nics
Office - IPCop VM in our server (specs in sig).
Office building (I put it together & installed. Running an IPCop in VM on my server because we have a public IP) - Celeron 420, 2x512MB DDR2 800, MMC card with IDE adapter. Intel PCI 1000/100/10, Intel 100/10, Onboard realtek 1000/100/10 - pfSense does not detect though :(. Running pfSense embedded platform.

Current:
IPCOP
AMD 750 mhz
256 RAM
1 GB NIC to Green (LAN)
1 GB NIC to Orange (DMZ)
100 MB NIC to RED (Internet)
100 MB NIC to Blue (Wirelesss)

The switch on the Green subnet is a 10 port Gigabit managed switch (Dell 5012).
The wireless router is a Netgear 802.11g on the Blue Subnet.

The current project which will be IPCOP in about a month:
Intel PIII 933 mhz
512 MB RAM
1 GB NIC to Green (LAN)
1 GB NIC to Orange (DMZ)
100 MB NIC to RED (Internet)
DLink DWL-G520 802.11g Wireless NIC to Blue (Wireless)

The switch on the green subnet will be the same.
Will no longer need a wireless router. I am hoping that I can figure out how to set up and configure the Wireless AP Addon for IPCOP to manage all the wireless out of IPCOP.

I have been using IPCOP for about 4 years I love it and keep trying to figure out new things with it. Started with a Red and Green interface and I am now to 4 interfaces and keep trying to try new things with it.

Home - IPCop: P3 650/256MB SDRAM. Dont know what mobo - its some old oem system. 4x10/100 nics
Office - IPCop VM in our server (specs in sig).
Office building (I put it together & installed. Running an IPCop in VM on my server because we have a public IP) - Celeron 420, 2x512MB DDR2 800, MMC card with IDE adapter. Intel PCI 1000/100/10, Intel 100/10, Onboard realtek 1000/100/10 - pfSense does not detect though :(. Running pfSense embedded platform.

does that work well with vmware setup?

my smoothie (swe3):
Shuttle SN45G:
AMD Athlon XP Mobile @ 2GHz
512MB DDR memory
60GB hard drive
Nforce2 - Red
3c905 - Green (soon to be purple+green on an intel dual port 82558)

Home:
IPCop 1.4.16
iptraf, nmap and zernia (openvpn). I'm also using openswan to work for my VoIP phone but other than that, no too many mods
Interfaces: Red, Green, Orange, Blue
PII 400 w/512mb RAM & 40GB HD, its an old HP Vectra VLi

My home ipcop is what really got me hooked on IPCop in general, its been running solid (and has outlived some hardware already) for 2+ years, longer if you include the older version of IPCop I was running before I moved, it was running 1.2.xx for around another 2+ years. It may or may not be able to hold a candle in huge enterprise environments (1000+ users) like some cisco routers, but I've had it working in 300+ user environments without a hiccup.

Work:
Interfaces: Red, Green, Orange
Primary Router
IPCop 1.4.18
iptraf, Cop+, zernia (openvpn), openswan for site-to-site vpn and a few iptables mods for routing traffic through the various IPs.
P4 2.0Ghz w/1024mb RAM & 2x80GB HDs raided, HP Evo Tower

Secondary Router
Interfaces: Red, Green, Orange
Same configuration as above
P4 1.6GHz w/512mb RAM & 2x80GB HDs raided, HP Vectra VL420i

I also have the primary router stream configuration, current state and what not on an hourly schedule to the secondary router. This way I can apply the changes on the secondary router and reboot to make this operational in case the primary goes down. I've tested the config but luckily have not had to use it, been operational for about a year and still beats the hell out of a small sonicwall that was used. 20 users over VPN and 3 site-to-site links.

Monowall:

Old Gateway (got it for free)
700mb Celeron
512mb Sdram
Cdrom
Floppy
2x 3com 10/100m nics.

Latest m0n0wall Beta: Running generic pc image for HD.... CD + Floppy is to slow for me... the interface gets annoying

ISP1100 1U Intel Server
500Mhz Celeron
256MB Ram
10gb HDD
3 NICs (Wifi, LAN, WAN)
Running captive portal and selling wifi to neighbors lol

rack1_m0n0.jpg

Sorry if somebody already asked this and got his butt plucked .. but why not just plug a Linksys/Netgear/Dlink/Buffalo router or something? 0 setup

You all run AV solutions locally anyway, don't you?

Sorry if somebody already asked this and got his butt plucked .. but why not just plug a Linksys/Netgear/Dlink/Buffalo router or something? 0 setup

You all run AV solutions locally anyway, don't you?

:eek:

I expect you to turn in your geek card by the end of today.

Anyone can plug in a crappy crash-ridden product and have it work. Those of us that want a more powerful firewall/router solution would rather have these devices that can do so much more than just gateway routing.

LOL on the Geek Card ....

My Linksys flashed with DD-WRT has been rock solid. I don't even need a Cantena to reach the 4th floor of my house since I also jacked up the output power.

I just don't know what the use of a software-based Proxy/Firewall @ home could be used for since you can get all the protection by coupling a H/W router + Client AV

If anyone else is as security aware (notice I didnt say paranoid :D) as I am, then I prefer to have the 4 colored networks on my IPCop.

Servers have their own subnet
Wireless has their own subnet
Wired has their own subnet

I like the fact that there is so much control, for basically a free product. I would buy a PIX or ASA, but in order to handle as many interfaces as I have now, would be rather pricey!

I do have 3 Linksys WRT54G and GL devices running my wireless, btw, so I do know how well DDWRT runs on those, but I like to be a geek and do weird stuff. ;)

If anyone else is as security aware (notice I didnt say paranoid :D) as I am, then I prefer to have the 4 colored networks on my IPCop.

Servers have their own subnet
Wireless has their own subnet
Wired has their own subnet

I like the fact that there is so much control, for basically a free product. I would buy a PIX or ASA, but in order to handle as many interfaces as I have now, would be rather pricey!

I do have 3 Linksys WRT54G and GL devices running my wireless, btw, so I do know how well DDWRT runs on those, but I like to be a geek and do weird stuff. ;)

So I have a quick question for you then. I was planning on setting up a spare box I have and putting IPCop on it. I don't need it or anything, but I just want to play. Right now I have a Linsys WRT54G as my router, the only wireless thing I have connected to it is my PS3.

Do you have your WRT54G setup as just an access point coming off your IPCop? How did you set everything up? How many NICs would I need to have wired and wireless capability still?

vage-

I have my AP hanging off a VLAN on my switch for just the blue network (wireless). You can also connect the AP using a crossover cable on the switch portion (or plug a straight through into the uplink port on the router), if that is the only device you need on the blue network. I have a couple acres of land I need to cover, so I have multiple APs.

You can also stick the AP on the green network, but that negates the extra security the blue interface would give you.

I have the IPCop doing the DHCP, and set the Internet connection on the AP/Router to disable in DDWRT. Give the router an IP on the blue network so you can administrate it.

Simple as that! Just remember to configure (should use WPA2!) security on your APs still, otherwise it is still an open network.

Compaq DL360
256mb RAM
2 x 9.6GB 10K SCSI
1 x PIII 800MHz

Ubuntu Server
Squid
Dansguardian
Webmin
SARG

pcengines ALIX 2C3
500 MHz AMD Geode LX800
256 MB DDR DRAM
1 GB Compact Flash card
3 10/100 interfaces
running pfsense 1.2

Smoothwall Express3.0
IBM x305 1U Server
Pentium 4, 2.4ghz
1024mb ECC, Reg, Buf Memory
40gb IDE Hard Drive
Dual Onboard Gigabit (Green/Orange)
Dual 10/100 Intel NIC (Purple/Red)

Dorking with PFSense again...
Took an old IBM Thinkpad T22 or T23...
P3 8something...
256 megs
Onboard Intel
Linksys PCMCIA NIC

Nice 'n quiet, low profile.

Dual p3-866, 2 gigs ecc ram, 80 gb laptop disk for boot, 4*750 mirrored. Runs solaris 10, does ipfilter NAT at 100 megabits on the internet side and serves files over NFS at a gigabit on the local side. Also runs torrents, httpd, dhcp, DNS, etc etc etc.

Dual p3-866, 2 gigs ecc ram, 80 gb laptop disk for boot, 4*750 mirrored. Runs solaris 10, does ipfilter NAT at 100 megabits on the internet side and serves files over NFS at a gigabit on the local side. Also runs torrents, httpd, dhcp, DNS, etc etc etc.

Holy crap! How can a single system do all of that?! Can Smoothwall / IPCop do that?!

Holy crap! How can a single system do all of that?! Can Smoothwall / IPCop do that?!

DHCP and DNS are pretty lightweight when you have only a handful of clients. The internet is so fast because I live at college---I have 100 megabits to my room---and NAT is fairly cheap to do. NFS is cheap, too, although I only get about 20 MB/s over that because the CPU can't handle all the context switches ZFS imposes. I use screen+rtorrent for my torrenting, and get up to 10 MB/s both ways sometimes. HTTP gets pretty low use, it's mostly just for my CGI scripts.

Yes, IPCop et al can do this, but I like ZFS.

I'll have to look into that as I've been running Smoothwall for a few years now but didn't realize I could also get file serving and torrent duties done on the same machine. Thx unhappy_mage

Dual PIII 550MHz
512MB ECC PC100 (or 133, not sure)
Some ASUS board
2 NICs (not sure what, just threw'em in)
8GB Hard Drive

Running PfSense. Has only went down once due to power outage.

I'll claim the overkill crown now. :D

Supermicro H8QC8 quad Opteron baseboard
4x AMD Opteron 852
16GB DDR-400
10 NIC (2 onboard, 2x 4-port Intel PCI-X)
3x 146GB 10kRPM Internal SCSI-U320

Runs FreeBSD 6.2-REL with a m0n0wall hack doing point-to-point inside of a jail as the front line, and the base image handling the internal routing over lagg'd gigabit, with services residing in jails.

P3 1.13 GHZ
512mb PC133
2gb Flash - IDE
Dual 3com 10/100 NIC's
Tyan Tomcat Mobo

Running IPCop with Cop-Filter and Snort.

AMD Opteron 144 (Single Core)
Asus A8V-VM
Corsair XMS 512MBx1 DDR 400 PC-3200
Seagate 120GB Serial ATA 150 Hard Drive
Onboard Via 10/100 NIC & Encore PCI 10/100 NIC

Running pfSense.

Back