Post your Smoothie/ipcop/etc. specs

Guess I will post mine :)

Smoothwall with latest fixes
Intel P2 or P3 650 I believe (cant remember, its been awhile since i messed with it)
Genuine intel board
256mb Memory
Dual Intel Pro100 NICs

I also did a keyboard LED mod where i took the LED board from a keyboard and made it into a front panel cover that displays the send and receive status and any errors.

I love smoothwall as it has been running without user intervention for years :) (except to updated fixes and change certain network configs).

network09.jpg

network10.jpg

Just got it all up and running. What a difference a decade makes! The last time I installed Linux was about 10 years ago. Now it's so easy I can't believe it. Smoothwall runs like a dream -actually I HAD to setup one of these systems since I'm doing so much Bittorrent traffic now that no other router could handle the load.

Anyways, the system is a pretty old Intel (I think it's a Celeron) with 256MB RAM and a 60GB drive. Smoothwall RAWKS!!

Nokia Ip2330 with modified M0n0Wall install
amd k62-533 256 meg ecc ram.
runing on 1gig CF to ide card.

best of all its a 1u

bump into 2007 ;)

Upgraded to pfSense and found a 2 gig Cf card for 10$, and added a Hawking HBB1.

id like to figure out how to get ipcop on it as thats my favorite router os out of the ones i have tried out. M0n0wall, Smoothwall, Microtik(sp), Ipcop, Pfsense. Clarkconnect(aka sme).

bump into 2007 ;)

Upgraded to pfSense and found a 2 gig Cf card for 10$, and added a Hawking HBB1.

id like to figure out how to get ipcop on it as thats my favorite router os out of the ones i have tried out. M0n0wall, Smoothwall, Microtik(sp), Ipcop, Pfsense. Clarkconnect(aka sme).

I wanna see pics! (not that I don't believe you, I just think that's kewl)

Yeah the compact flash card to IDE adapter is the biggest upgrade I've put into my IPCOP box. Makes a world of difference now that I don't hear the whine of my old 20 gig Maxtor drive anymore (those fuckers are loud). I also unplugged the HSF fan on my PIII 1GHz. Doesn't seem to get hot and has been running for a week without it on. The PSU is also modded so the fans spin really slow. Just about as quiet as a SOHO router! :cool:

Yeah the compact flash card to IDE adapter is the biggest upgrade I've put into my IPCOP box. Makes a world of difference now that I don't hear the whine of my old 20 gig Maxtor drive anymore (those fuckers are loud). I also unplugged the HSF fan on my PIII 1GHz. Doesn't seem to get hot and has been running for a week without it on. The PSU is also modded so the fans spin really slow. Just about as quiet as a SOHO router! :cool:

I like how fast it boots up with the CF in there. on a side note I have a Nokia IP110 that i should sell

I just converted my p3 600 384meg ram, dell gx1 from smoothwall to Endian. All I can say is awesome. It was a little different to setup but the pages load so much faster. I test WM2k5 devices and i mean 100s of them run through my cube on a weekly basis. I would have dead dhcp terminals in my list that always bothered me. Endian just shows whos on now and I love that. Im going to convert at home soon as i find a smaller case.

I retired the P233. New specs are:

Aopen MX3W Motherboard
Celeron 466 Mendocino
3Com NIC on Green
Compaq NIC on Red
128MB RAM
10GB Maxtor HD
Chieftec TL-02W case

Will post pics later.

Running IPCop 1.4.13 on a Compaq Evo SFF machine.

P4 2.4g (I think)
1gig memory.
80g HD
Embedded NIC = Green
Dual head Compaq nic = Red/Orange

Also have CopPlus installed. Been very happy with this setup and moving away from consumer level Netgear/Linksys stuff.

I was running on a Cisco 2514 for a while for just NATing and port forwarding and an ACL from hell. :p But gave that up as no Proxy or Dan's Guardian etc.

Just got this setup installed last night.

Endian FW 2.1
AthlonXP (don't remember the speed)
512mb memory
27gig IDE drive
3 x 3COM 3C905c (Green / Red / Blue networks)

Using my old Linksys WRT54GS v5 as a WAP. So far Endian is doing a much better job than the Linksys router dealing with BT and SIP connections.

Got myself a sweet little ClarkConnect setup:

1.3GHz VIA C7, on a Mini-ITX board, dual LAN controllers
512MB DDR2
20GB 2.5" Laptop HDD
This case

Runs fast, runs quiet, looks just like a normal el cheapo network part when my cable modem and switch are stacked on it.

PFSense 1.01

P4 2.x (don't remember)
512mb DDR
6gb HD
3 x Intel Pro/100s
24 Port Dell 10/100 Switch

I love the traffic shaping on this thing, it was night and day compared to m0n0wall.

To me, a reliable traffic shaping/QoS is the best feature

Got myself a sweet little ClarkConnect setup:

1.3GHz VIA C7, on a Mini-ITX board, dual LAN controllers
512MB DDR2
20GB 2.5" Laptop HDD
This case

Runs fast, runs quiet, looks just like a normal el cheapo network part when my cable modem and switch are stacked on it.

Sweet case! Thanks for the link. Where did you get your Mini-ITX board?

Sweet case! Thanks for the link. Where did you get your Mini-ITX board?

Here. If you scroll to the bottom, you can choose a daughter board that plugs into an expansion slot on the motherboard and adds a second LAN port (or three more LAN ports if you desire). Clarkconnect already had the drivers for it.

Clark Connect

Compaq Proliant DL360
2x1.26Ghz P3's
512mb
2x18GB 10k In Raid 1
Dual onboard 10/100 NIC's
Compaq PCI Dual Port 10/100 NIC for Orange/Blue

Ipcop

Amd Athlon 600mhz
384 MBs ram
Some old ASUS board
2 Gig WD hd
Old Creative CD-RW

Set it up last night, used to get kicked off AIM and IRC while running torrents with my BEFSX41. Now that won't happen anymore!

IPCop
HP Vectra Slimline
550MHz / 192MB RAM
Intel 10/100 > Switch > Home Network
Realtek 10/100 > Wireless AP > Open Network
3Com Integrated 10mpbs > 9m/768k Cable

Recently purchased a Transcend 1GB IDE Flash Module that plugs directly into the 40pin IDE port on the motherboard. After I install that later this week I'm going to work on silencing it completely except for the PSU. Planning on underclocking the P3 down to 300MHz or lower with no performance/throughput hit and removing the 80mm front case fan and installing some ducting to keep things cool.

Here's the pic:
March_20_2007_016_edit.jpg

Once IKEA is in town it should get much cleaner... oh and it's May 23, not March. *Sigh*

Got the flash IDE drive... had some hiccups creating the flash image with mkflash, but all went well.

Followed instructions here:
http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/html/detail_steps.html

Verified IDE pin 20 on ipcop machine was missing, using the power adapter.
Modified the mkflash script to change the image size to 970 MB instead of the default of 978MB
Neither 978 OR 977MB would not fit, 977 was SO close - off by about 40kb - damnit... making the image and writing it takes awhile.

Changed this section in the mkflash script:

Code:
1gb)
	echo "`date '+%b %e %T'`: Creating 1 Gigabyte Compact Flash"
	flash_MB=970
	;;

Used WinSCP to copy 1gbflash.img from ipcop in /tmp directory to my Vista box.
Used physdiskwrite v0.5.1 to copy the image from Vista box to flash IDE drive.

Old reboot time from clicking reboot in IPCop GUI: 1min 30secs
New reboot time after installing flash IDE: 1min 15secs

Underclocked the CPU to 300MHz as mentioned previously.

And I wont need to install any ducting to make it more quiet - removing the old hard drive worked WONDERS... it's now practically silent.

Overall, a fun project to revamp my IPCop machine (bit faster to bootup) and make it use less power (just wish I had a Kill-A-Watt to also show before and after) and much, much more quiet.

Here are some pics:

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

physdiskwrite.jpg

Sigh.... not completely finished... keeps dying during image writing... more later.

EDIT: Ended up going with a 512MB image for now (PLENTY!) because the script kept thinking that I was writing a 978 MB file.

EDIT#2: Used GParted LiveCD to repartition the 512MB image into a 1GB image... probably easiest to do it that way, to be honest.
gparted.jpg

Thanks so much anakin357 for your pics and info. I'm definitely going to think about dumping my HDD for one of these soon! My system is nearly idential in form factor to yours.

Another update to my post.

Can you run BitTorrent on an IPCop box? Or is that a ClarkConnect thing?

Another update to my post.

Can you run BitTorrent on an IPCop box? Or is that a ClarkConnect thing?

Not sure what you mean by a clarkconnect thing, bit torrent is firewall independent. Bit Torrent will work fine on both firewalls as long as you're not blocking blocking any outgoing traffic, the only reason you need to open any ports is if you want better speeds due to trackers seeing that you're just leaching.

Nice work on the firewalls though, I would have personally went with smoothwall if I were you though;)

pfsense

Dual Wan

Athlon Xp2500 barton @ 1.8ghz
512MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive

nics are hardware controllers, have Intel i960 controllers on them. They are 100mbit not gigabit, as my wan connections don't even get close to 100mbit anyway.

My network has plenty of room to grow.

From top to bottom:cable modem, eight-port gigabit switch, and my Clarkconnect box:

IMG_0117%20%5b800x600%5d.JPG

IMG_0119%20%5b800x600%5d.JPG

I love Clarkconnect! Running the whole suit of DNS/DHCP/filtering stuff, as well as serving up my website and the images I just posted. :D

Have you posted a thread about this buildup? What are the specs on the ClarkConnect box you're runnin?

Erm slightly diffferent to most - the IPCOP install is a VM/S Which has 256MB RAM with 3 virtual adapters connected to three independant physical adapters (Red (100MB WAN),Green (~100 Clients), and Blue(~80 Wireless Clients), the host server is a dual chip dual core XEON 3Ghz with 2GB RAM which has several other VM's on it (Ubuntu with Zenoss for one). IPCOP handles DHCP, Gateway as well as firewall and IDS.

Who, me? It's a 1.3GHz C7 with 512MB of DDR2 and the cheapest laptop HDD that money can buy. :p Oh yeah, and that kickass case.

Hey, don't knock it! I am very interested in small, quiet, and cheap systems. Hell, you think my system is that fancy? I'm running probably half the horsepower you have in that little box (but a noiser HDD).

Back