12v 99 cent cheepie newegg fan running @ 5 volts for cpu cooling
^ yes it always spins up reliably

Smoothwall 2.0 on some old gateway that was laying around

PPro 200
32MB
1.2GB

openwrt

running on a 200Mhz Broadcom 5352
a whole 8meg of storage and 32 meg of ram :)
currently not in use though still in the testing stage :(
mounts a samba share from a win2k box for extra storage :)
will hopefully allow me to give other network users a quota and implement virus scanning on network traffic

edit: now i think about i have a spare dell rackmount out in the shed maybe that should become the router

Smoothwall Express 2.0
installed using Fixes 1-8 .iso
mods:
-Super Kernel, -Full Firewall Control, -Snort 2.4.3, -One Click Snort Update, -Stealth mod, -Guardian Reactive Firewall, -Dansguardian w/ClamAV + Gui + auto spyware def updates w/blacklist from UrlBlacklist.com,-DG bypass mod, -Blue interface mod (for wireless), -Connview, -RDTool mod with updated graphs, -various other logging type mods

Hardware:
1.3ghz Duron
Via integrated mobo
512meg PC2100
onboard via nic-Green
2x D-Link 530tx+-Red/Blue
4GB hdd?
onboard vid disabled and running pci 4meg vidcard to put that precious 8megs of mem to better use!
350wtt psu
micro ATX case
running headless

..all flaky components I got from work of which end result is that I have to reboot my smoothie box every couple of days or so cause internet stops responding (it could be a heat related problem as problems crop up more frequently when my room is a smidge on the warm side)

here is my customized Dansguardian block page:
dgblockpage.JPG

Kung Pow block screen is hilarious! :cool:

Oh yeah...the nit pick in me wants to tell you that it's "Arigato" with an 'a'. :p

smoothwall
PIII 800
384MB ram
10GB HDD
4 10/100 NICs

28 days, 09:15:02 | Linux 2.4.30

Used mainly to VPN my network to my g/f place and so I can watch all the kiddies port scanning

Tried IPCop several months ago...snagged an old Compaq Deskpro EN small form factor chassis...P3 866, 256 megs of RAM. Onboard Intel 10/100, I slapped in a 3COM 905 PCI.

Tried IPCop, and pfsense. Liked the interface of pfsense better..but it kicked me out of online games sometimes. Went back to IPCop. Added Copfilter..but boy did that slow things down.

Came across a Compaq Evo d510 small form factor chassis...a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 512 megs of RAM. Same onboard Intel 10/100....so I moved the 3COM to that..moved the drive to that. Runs much quicker with Copfilter now.

Fun experiment...but I'm back with my trusty Linksys RV082. Pretty much as fast, less power consumption, hardly any heat output (hey..it's summer), and takes up even less space.

700MHz Celeron
384MB SDRAM
ASUS CUW-RM

Running Smoothwall on some really noisy 6GB Maxtor drive... it's a pity too, as the machine itself is really quiet. The CPU is cooled by a Socket A AthlonXP heatsink with a 70mm-80mm fan adaptor on it (cheap 80mm at ~4V), power supply is the Antec 380S that came with my Sonata.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Tried IPCop several months ago...snagged an old Compaq Deskpro EN small form factor chassis...P3 866, 256 megs of RAM. Onboard Intel 10/100,

i got the same deskpro EN, mine had 128MB of ram and a loud loud 20GB WD... i yoinked the WD and put 3 more netgear nics in it... i use the onboard as RED connection and a 1GB CF card for storage... without the HD and floppy, that thing is dead silent

IPCOP with QoS rules run great on it, i actually download faster than on my ol netgear, probably because of the 100mbps red connection, my connection could concievably max out the 10 on my netgear WAN port, and i think that is what was happening

problem with that box is it always halts on KB... somebody had mentioned a homemade hack to spoof a KB, i'd like to see how they did that

Trying Endian....very happy with it. Much more contemporary and polished interface than IPCop..it's features are basically IPCop with the Copfilter addon.

Using my Compaq Evo d510...p4 2.4 with 512 megs. Liquid bearing Seagate 'Cuda hard drive..nice and quiet and cool. She has the onboard Intel 10/100 Pro, and I have a 3COM 905 for the second NIC.

Pfsense 1.0

p3 800 CuMine on ASUS p3v4x
512Mb cas2 pc133
WD 120 hdd
3x intel pro 1000's
2x D-link dwl-g520's

all crammed into a custom made/modded 2u chassis.

alldone.jpg

---------

Been up for a month now , runs great.

:D

I had ipcop running on a neoware which had a 800 via chip in it with 256 ram running off a gig cf card. Got rid of it because it just wasn't fast enough to run everything I wanted to run off it. Need to get a pentium m, athlon, p4, mini-itx board to build another but they are too expensive.

Im starting to use this for lan routing, though it doesnt cut the mustard (too damn slow)

CPU: K6II-500Mhz
RAM: 415MB PC100
NIC1/2: Dual-Port compaq Netelligent
NIC3: Realtec 10/100

running Pfsense 1.01, it seemed to crap out at about 25Mbps of ping traffic, though the cpu load wasnt high. Time to start looking for an ebay 1U P3/P4.

Just retired my smoothwall box, it was good, but I find that my Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT is just so much better and I only have half the headaches. It's now running happily as a Freenas box:

Old craptastic Gateway that I got for $40
400 mhz Slot 1 Celeron
64 megs RAM
15 gig HDD

Hardware is rock solid, and my record uptime was 69 days, and that was only due to a power outage....

Update for my school setup. 2*866 p3, dual onboard 10/100 Intel nic, dual offboard gigE nic, 2 10mbit internet connections on the Intels, the 2 gigE ports bridged with my machines (and my roommate's) plugged in via a WRT54GS with DD-WRT basically acting as a switch. Ethernet cables galore everywhere. I usually get 1.5 MB/s down or 2 up. It's quite nice :D

Current box: --SmoothBOXX--smoothwall.v2| 450mhz | 256 ram | 1gb HD |
==============
Planned Box to be: Dell PowerEdge 350 PIII 850MHz / 256MB / 20GB 1U Server

I attempted to install smoothwall the other day, it didn't work...but it was a Dell Dimension L600r, 128MB ram, 20 gb hd, 3com NIC and kingston NIC.

Currently setting up a IPCop server for my home network :

IPCop 1.4.10
IBM PC300GL
P2-450
256 Mb RAM (To be upped to 512 Mb if I can find 2 256 Mb PC133 sticks around).
20 Gb HD
DVD drive
1 3COM 3C905B and 2 3COM 3C905 for RED/GREEN/BLUE.

And like TheTyrant planned, I'm also looking at a 1U rackmount server to save space on my homemade server rack or screw my PC box vertically on the wall :cool:

Home router, traffic shaping, antivirus

Endian
PIII 450mhz
256mb ram
10gb hard drive
2 3Com nics

Work, small office 15 PC's

Endian, running DHCP, DNS, traffic shaping, web/email proxy for anti-virus/content filter, intrusion detection
specs
Dual PII 350mhz
384mb ram
40gb HD
3Com nics

Well, I pitched the Hotbrick because I rescued a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF from work.

1GHz PIII
512MB SDRAM
1x Intel PRO/100 VE
1x Dual-port PRO/100 Server NIC (Not originally in there, that was a spare from work)...

Endian at the moment, and I'm liking it!

Xilikon said:
Currently setting up a IPCop server for my home network :

IPCop 1.4.10
IBM PC300GL
P2-450
256 Mb RAM (To be upped to 512 Mb if I can find 2 256 Mb PC133 sticks around).
20 Gb HD
DVD drive
1 3COM 3C905B and 2 3COM 3C905 for RED/GREEN/BLUE.

And like TheTyrant planned, I'm also looking at a 1U rackmount server to save space on my homemade server rack or screw my PC box vertically on the wall :cool:

Ditch this... I just put my hands on a Dell Optiplex GX115 which have a onboard 3COM 3C920 and can take up to 3 more NICS, all in a small size along with a P3-866 and 512 Mb of RAM.

ECS P6BAT-A+ socket 370
Intel celeron 466 mhz
256MB ram
9GB Fujitsu IDE drive
ATi Rage 128mb AGP
LG CD-ROM
Floppy drive
Airlink PCI ASOHORL nic X2
SMC 1211TX-50 nic
Motorola SB5100

IPCop with Addons
P3 650E
384MB RAM
512MB Compact Flash
4U Rackmount CodeGen Case
(4) 3Com 3C905B-TX cards (Red, Blue, Orange, Green)

It used to be a desktop computer, it was a dumpster rescue and upgrade! Need to upgrade to the 933 that was rescued from the same dumpster, maybe run Endian or m0n0wall. Also might be moving the firewall into a 1U or 2U case, depending on what I can find to fit, as I just bought a 4 Port DLink network card and a PIX-4FE-33= as well, gotta do some testing to see if they will work with the firewall distros out there!

DSC01305.jpg

Top one is the IPCop

DSC01308.jpg

Again, top one is IPCop

Don't give me any crap about my keyboard and mouse cabling being backwards, cause they aren't! The ends were switched around, eBay specials :D

crash848 said:
IPCop with Addons
P3 650E
384MB RAM
512MB Compact Flash
4U Rackmount CodeGen Case
(4) 3Com 3C905B-TX cards (Red, Blue, Orange, Green)

It used to be a desktop computer, it was a dumpster rescue and upgrade! Need to upgrade to the 933 that was rescued from the same dumpster, maybe run Endian or m0n0wall. Also might be moving the firewall into a 1U or 2U case, depending on what I can find to fit, as I just bought a 4 Port DLink network card and a PIX-4FE-33= as well, gotta do some testing to see if they will work with the firewall distros out there!

Don't give me any crap about my keyboard and mouse cabling being backwards, cause they aren't! The ends were switched around, eBay specials :D

Inventive use of colored cables... I guess the colors is corresponding to the colors of the interfaces (RED = internet, GREEN = inside network, BLUE = wireless and ORANGE = DMZ) ?

For the keyboard/mouse cabling, I don't see anything wrong since mouses has a green end and keyboards has a purple end. The keyboard plug is always on the bottom of ATX motherboards backplace with the mouse above.

Dell GX150 USFF
PIII 1GHz
512MB RAM
1GB Compact Flash (CF-to-IDE adapter.)
3COM 3C920 Integrated
Intel Pro 100S PCI Server Adapter, low-profile

Was running pfSense for a little while but the bugs were really starting to tick me off. Went back to IPCop for now...

(V)andopr77 said:
I am running ClarkConnect Home 3.2. I was running IPCOP, but ClarkConnect is so much easier to use.

My setup:

Dell Optiplex GX240 SFF
P4 1.8Ghz (socket 423)
1Gb RDRAM
80Gb Western Digital
Onboard Intel 10/100 NIC (green zone)
3COM PCI NIC (red zone)

I've found that Clarkconnect was rather sluggish doing remote administration, on the same setup that my IpCop box doesn't exhibit the same sluggishness.

That said, I tried running Clarkconnect on a setup that was a bit beefier, performance still didn't improve too much though.

Setup:

Asus Cusi-FX (flexatx)
Celeron 533
128mb PC100/133? ECC...It was something I had laying around.
4gb Quantum bigfoot (the 5.25" variety)
Onboard SiS 10/100 (red)
3Com 3C905 PCI NIC (green)

My new home Smoothie box (playing around with Smoothwall Express 3.0 Alpha (panda))

Dell box
P4 2.6c
768meg ddr
15gb hdd
using the onboard 3com and a D-Link 530tx

..all that for just one computer behind it , lol..

ah ..but I do have this beast folding , so there is my justification!

:p

Xilikon said:
Inventive use of colored cables... I guess the colors is corresponding to the colors of the interfaces (RED = internet, GREEN = inside network, BLUE = wireless and ORANGE = DMZ) ?

For the keyboard/mouse cabling, I don't see anything wrong since mouses has a green end and keyboards has a purple end. The keyboard plug is always on the bottom of ATX motherboards backplace with the mouse above.

Hah, Wow I'm an idiot. Those were part of the 4 CORRECT cables I rec'd. I have 4 that are backwards. That's what I get for not sleeping I guess.

Yeah I'm very anal about the network coloring. I have 4 private networks, normally, at my house along with the Road Runner connections. It's much easier to take a look at the cable on the switch and be like "Oh thats in VLAN x". Very handy to have all the colors available to you with stuff like this :)

Now that I have my D-LINK 4 port NIC, I think I'll have to get a smaller case, if I can fit the guts in a 1 or 2 U.

IPCOP
--
- P3 @ 499MHz
- 512 MB of PC133 RAM
- 40GB P-ATA Disk
- 3 x Intel 10/100 NIC
- Antec Case w/ 80mm intake / exhaust fan
- 300W Antec Power Supply

**Decided to take some pics since work is slow**

img1405lf4.jpg

img1406xx5.jpg

img1407ix0.jpg

Here is my RED stats:

redys0.png

Looks like an SE440BX-2 board you have in there... :D

Carloswill said:
IPCOP
--
- P3 @ 499MHz
- 512 MB of PC133 RAM
- 40GB P-ATA Disk
- 3 x Intel 10/100 NIC
- Antec Case w/ 80mm intake / exhaust fan
- 300W Antec Power Supply

**Decided to take some pics since work is slow**

Blitzrommel said:
Looks like an SE440BX-2 board you have in there... :D

If you say so... :confused:

It's my moms old PC I saved from the dumpster when I upgraded her to a nice Sempron64 PC. :confused:

Dell Poweredge 300SC
800Mhz P3
128 (soon to be 256MB) PC100 (I think) ECC sdram
some 3com NIC
Some Dlink NIC
Some NIC that is not supported by my OS

pfsense

Two of these identical machines take care of my routing/firewalling needs:
P3 866 MHz
Intel server motherboard
256 MB RAM
512 MB Compact Flash on IDE<-> CF adapters
2x 3Com 3C990-TX-97 10/100 Secure NIC's
250 watt PSU
2U Rackmount chassis

Both of these are running pfSense 1.0-RC3 currently, setup for fail-over if that one should fail the other will take instantly without even interrupting streaming music :cool:

tdg said:
Both of these are running pfSense 1.0-RC3 currently, setup for fail-over if that one should fail the other will take instantly without even interrupting streaming music :cool:
The greatness of carp and pfsync

Back