Post Your RocketFish pics/mods

One good thing about a great case is even though the gear inside slowly becomes crap, the outside is just waiting for the next round of upgrades.

One good thing about a great case is even though the gear inside slowly becomes crap, the outside is just waiting for the next round of upgrades.

Agreed. But I'd really like something with a black interior and better cable management. I know I can take it to the shop and cut it - actually modding the case would be easier than painting the inside black - but even with holes cut for cables, there are better designs, and I've really got my eye on the new Corsair case coming out. This Lian Li is still roomier than the Antec 1200. The Antec 1200 has great cable management, a window, and a black interior, plus it's full tower. Those are the main things I want in the case, plus watercooling-friendliness. But look at how little horizontal space you have! You make very ineffective use of what cable management is available. Even though vertically it's roomy, it sure looks cramped where the cables come out of the drives, and right on that edge of the mobo where most of the connections are. I almost bought one on Newegg's last sale, but it's not enough better than this LianFish case to make me shell out the money. I'm hoping the Corsair is going to be worth the wait!! PLEASE HURRY and release it early, guys!

Agreed. But I'd really like something with a black interior and better cable management. I know I can take it to the shop and cut it - actually modding the case would be easier than painting the inside black - but even with holes cut for cables, there are better designs, and I've really got my eye on the new Corsair case coming out. This Lian Li is still roomier than the Antec 1200. The Antec 1200 has great cable management, a window, and a black interior, plus it's full tower. Those are the main things I want in the case, plus watercooling-friendliness. But look at how little horizontal space you have! You make very ineffective use of what cable management is available. Even though vertically it's roomy, it sure looks cramped where the cables come out of the drives, and right on that edge of the mobo where most of the connections are. I almost bought one on Newegg's last sale, but it's not enough better than this LianFish case to make me shell out the money. I'm hoping the Corsair is going to be worth the wait!! PLEASE HURRY and release it early, guys!

I paid 60 shipped for mine so i'm willing to overlook any flaws...

Also, I got a quote to powder coat mine for $50...

The Corsair case does look very nice and is probably going to be one of the best engineered cases on the market when it is released however, I just can't stomach paying that much for a case anymore. For me, the Rocketfish is still the better option. I'll be the first to admit it is far from perfect, I actually hated mine when I first picked it up, however with modifications, I absolutely love it.

I can see the point of view of someone who just wants a case that's ready to go right out of the box, so something like the Corsair would be the way to go for someone like that. However, if you're willing to put a little extra work in, I think cases like the Rocketfish (That are basically blank canvases) offer better value for money.

Even if you don't want to mod the case yourself, you could pick up a Rocketfish, pay to have the holes cut for you and take the case down to be powder coated black all for less than $250. The only "modding" you'd have to do is to drill out the rivets and screw the case back together and the final result would be an all aluminum, ginormous case that suits all your needs perfectly. The only thing you wouldn't have is the divider...and don't get me started about that one. :D

The Corsair case does look very nice and is probably going to be one of the best engineered cases on the market when it is released however, I just can't stomach paying that much for a case anymore. For me, the Rocketfish is still the better option. I'll be the first to admit it is far from perfect, I actually hated mine when I first picked it up, however with modifications, I absolutely love it.

I can see the point of view of someone who just wants a case that's ready to go right out of the box, so something like the Corsair would be the way to go for someone like that. However, if you're willing to put a little extra work in, I think cases like the Rocketfish (That are basically blank canvases) offer better value for money.

Even if you don't want to mod the case yourself, you could pick up a Rocketfish, pay to have the holes cut for you and take the case down to be powder coated black all for less than $250. The only "modding" you'd have to do is to drill out the rivets and screw the case back together and the final result would be an all aluminum, ginormous case that suits all your needs perfectly. The only thing you wouldn't have is the divider...and don't get me started about that one. :D

Or the hot swap bays ....

What about the divider? Good thing or bad thing? Makes it look nice, but I don't see how it could be good for anything.

I really had issues the last time I drilled rivets out of a case. What drill and drill bit would you recommend to get the job done right. What size tap and screws would I get to make it look the best. Are there flat screws available?

Or the hot swap bays ....

What about the divider? Good thing or bad thing? Makes it look nice, but I don't see how it could be good for anything.

I personally hate dividers. They make life a pain in the hell imo and in actuality do very little in managing temps.

I really had issues the last time I drilled rivets out of a case. What drill and drill bit would you recommend to get the job done right. What size tap and screws would I get to make it look the best. Are there flat screws available?

Sorry, I don't really remember. I'm at school for another few days so I'll have to report back after I fly home. I know I had no trouble drilling the rivets out though, it was probably the simplest thing I did to my Rocketfish.

I'll be water cooling in this case.

I'd like to be able to fit both a 3x120 radiator in the top and a 2x120 radiator elsewhere. Any suggestions on mounting locations for the 2x120 radiator?

Also, what reservoir would go well with this case?

Edit: Which Lian-Li side panels are compatible with this case?

I'll be water cooling in this case.

I'd like to be able to fit both a 3x120 radiator in the top and a 2x120 radiator elsewhere. Any suggestions on mounting locations for the 2x120 radiator?

Also, what reservoir would go well with this case?

Edit: Which Lian-Li side panels are compatible with this case?

Click on the link to my build log posted above. The 240 rad can be mounted on the bottom with some modding.

I know the side panel you need. I'll post a link to it when I get home from work.

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I tried my best but still have a little more work to do...I also have a BNIB Rocketfish sitting upstairs waiting to be ripped apart...:D

I too have a BNIB just waiting to be cut in to. Might have to break it open pretty soon, seeing all these great end results.

Well, just spent quite a while putting my rig in the RF and now need to work on cable management. I will post when it's presentable. Kind of hard to do if you don't own means for drilling holes. :p

Here we go. Cleaned up as best I could and put the cathodes in.

Specs:

-- RF case
-- Enermax Galaxy 1000W
-- Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
-- Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz 1.34V
-- Thermaltake Big Typhoon
-- 2GB dual-channel DDR3 1333MHz
-- 150GB Raptor, 200GB WD IDE HDD
-- Visiontek HD3870X2 OC w/quad heatpipe cooler
-- Vista Ultimate and Mac OS X 10.5.5

Any advice for cable management would be great.

vfieyc.jpg

313shvn.jpg

1pbdpx.jpg

24nk10p.jpg

2utt5ky.jpg

Nice to see other people loving this case. I've certainly gotten tons of mileage out of it. What a great buy for those that got it at the clearance price!

1/8" drillbit for the rivets and go slow and easy. Don't push hard.

Which Lian-Li side panels are compatible with this case?

If you can't mod your own, W-75 side panel series, the W-PC7XA-P2 or W-PC7XB-P2, or even the mesh W-75AM or BM fits fine.

Good luck!

1/8" drillbit for the rivets and go slow and easy. Don't push hard.

If you can't mod your own, W-75 side panel series, the W-PC7XA-P2 or W-PC7XB-P2, or even the mesh W-75AM or BM fits fine.

Good luck!

I could cut it myself, but it would cost about the same, and my time is worth something. Thanks.

My Rocketfish is nearing completion. Redid the hard drive cages to reduce temps. Wiring was a bitch...you have no clue...especially since I had to use 3 36" SATA cables. :eek:

I have a two new GPU coolers on the way so either a T-Rad2 or an Accelero S1 will be going on the 9600GT. Temp was around 60c and was raising the ambient in the case so something had to be done. Other than that, new soundcard, top exhaust, or front intake are coming next.

DSC_3790.jpg

DSC_3791_1.jpg

ive been wanting to do this......does it make the cage wobble?

It wobbles a little, not enough to cause worry though. I suppose if I really wanted to I could cut and solder on some aluminum brackets for support but it's not like my pc is a lan case so it wouldn't really do much for me.
Looks good. I know what you mean about the 36" sata cables. I have some.

Updated pics on the build.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1404249&page=2

Let me know what you think.

The paint job looks pretty clean. Post some pics when its fully assembled!

My Rocketfish is nearing completion. Redid the hard drive cages to reduce temps. Wiring was a bitch...you have no clue...especially since I had to use 3 36" SATA cables. :eek:

I have a two new GPU coolers on the way so either a T-Rad2 or an Accelero S1 will be going on the 9600GT. Temp was around 60c and was raising the ambient in the case so something had to be done. Other than that, new soundcard, top exhaust, or front intake are coming next.

DSC_3790.jpg

DSC_3791_1.jpg

You continue to impress me. I want mine to look like that .... well, and a painted black interior ...

The T-Rad2 and Accelero S1, both being fully internal solutions with no direct exhaust, are not going to do what you're intending them to. GPU temperatures should drop a good bit, but case temperatures will actually increase if anything. Heatsinks just move heat around, they don't get rid of it, so obviously the better you're cooling one thing the hotter the surroundings will be.

Well the 9600GT is a single slot solution, so if you compare dumping 60c heat to 35-40c heat into the case, I'd rather have the 35-40c heat. I have no desire to add a dual slot blower type cooler.

Well the 9600GT is a single slot solution, so if you compare dumping 60c heat to 35-40c heat into the case, I'd rather have the 35-40c heat. I have no desire to add a dual slot blower type cooler.

...doesn't work that way. The chip stays cooler, but the amount of heat in to the case increases.

I got mine in yesterday. The finish is a thing of beauty.

Anyway, what are the first things I need to do to the case to make the airflow not suck?

What modifications are needed in general?

I got mine in yesterday. The finish is a thing of beauty.

Anyway, what are the first things I need to do to the case to make the airflow not suck?

What modifications are needed in general?

How far do you want to go with mods? Do you want to do it all without cutting and drilling? Or are you going to go all out?

How far do you want to go with mods? Do you want to do it all without cutting and drilling? Or are you going to go all out?

I'll be putting a radgrill in tomorrow for my new stacked MCR320s. The video cards have GPU-only blocks, so I'll still need good airflow.

Anybody want to share measurements they used for their radgrills (distance from sides, back, etc.)?

I already have the parts. I have an EVGA X58 mobo.

Thanks

Sexy looking mobo. Although I agree many of the other x58 boards are ugly, like the Gigabyte boards. ... blue PCB = yuck. Hehe, not a big deal, but if you're gonna have a side window it might as well look good inside, eh?

Lol. Some look good and some just.... well you know.

For me... the mobo, gpu's and sound card all have black PCB's. I love the black boards. I remeber when the 8800GTS came out they had black PCB's and then switched to green. I was pissed.

yea that evga board will do nicely

gigabyte could sell a lot more boards with .05 seconds of thought to colors IMHO

anyone know how to remove the 2 crossbrace in the 5.25 drive bays? i don't have many tools except the basics found in a dollar store and i'm wary to use a drill.

Back