Post Your RocketFish pics/mods

I have got to get one of these cases! Looks awesome guys!!

Hope I catch one in FS section when I have some spare cash

Unfortunately boredom struck today and I found myself diving into my #2 of 3 Rocketfish case. #1 a couple pages back I described as a lightly modded OVERKILL mATX case built for my GUnit. With #2...just a biiiiiiiit more will go on here. Pics speak so first let the destruction begin for paint prep.

5-24-08062.jpg

5-24-08067.jpg

AHH I ran into some pop rivets...time to drill

5-24-08069.jpg

This is super easy to do and shouldn't scare off anyone from attempting something beyond a standard turn of a driver. Just drill and POP out it comes. A simple $20 rivet gun and a bag of cheap rivets and its back together again...I will be doing that in some places...but no place that can be visible once this project is put back together and complete.

5-24-08071.jpg

Harley steps in to see what kind of carnage he can add...

5-24-08073.jpg

Five minutes later..

5-24-08082.jpg

Now some teasers for tomorrows work while listening to the 500 on the radio. Mid 70s and sunny!! GO INDY KAARRRR!! haha

5-24-08074.jpg

Yeah this is getting painted...but not a chance taping it off tonight...need sleep.

5-24-08083.jpg

So much fun sleeving to do ahead...which I know will be a bunch of time vested. OC On tuRBO!!

5-24-08085.jpg

So I did 2 strands before bed. The PowerLED and HD LED are going to be spliced as I'm changing the colors of them so they will be replaced....

5-24-08086.jpg

Until tomorrow...

.:.Nate.:.

Painting took a bunch of time today and with the race I didn't get as much finished as I would of liked.

I did get down the first couple coats of primer and sanding inbetween all these pieces ate the clock up.

Tomorrow I am going to shoot 3 coats of flat black and step up the grit to 300 between coats.

Finished pieces primed!

DSCN0798.jpg

Got some more acrylic today as well...

DSCN0802.jpg

Here I sit at midnight with my finished painted and sleeved Front IO module. Looks so much better now! I will be mounting this somewhere other than the original mounting point most likely...

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

Tomorrow comes the black and then some major cutting! Might even get the main frame put back together if I can find more Hex bolts

So the paint process is almost complete.

DSCN0804.jpg

As you can see, the main structure is freshly sanded and is needing one more coat, as well as the stuff sitting ontop of it. So tomorrow, a bit more sanding and just coating those last couple pieces.

UPS states tomorrow is the delivery date, should be a good day!

At the end of day #2 of non stop painting and sanding I'm worn out...time to crash like the BearPig

DSCN0803.jpg

.:.nate.:.

Weather didn't quite co-operate today with the final coat of paint, so I made due and tapped a bunch of holes out to fit my hexheads and assembled it for fitment.

I still have a bunch of holes to fill and then my gf's case got me distracted...

DSCN0810.jpg

Back plane installed and more holes tapped for hex bolts...

My friend for the evening...

DSCN0832.jpg

Bad lighting = terrible pic

DSCN0826.jpg

Then I got distracted by helping her remove pins so she could resleeve her PSU in "UV-Hot Pink" She's freakin awesome

DSCN0808.jpg

Hey, there's nothing wrong getting distracted by your gf. Just make sure you don't damage that chassis is all. :p

Nah, I love the black. Looks a lot like mine without the scratches. :eek: Make sure you add a clear sealant to protect it. Didn't do it to mine and now I really regret it.

Wow great work so far. Wish I had the tools and time to complete something like this.

I'm about ready to post another update to my log. The weather here in indy hasn't been so nice to me though. Major flooding on Saturday and too damn hot to do any outside work sunday. I'm going to work all day today on it though so expect some pics soon. Major work to do today though...should be huge.

You mean age or shoe size?

Shoe Size: 18 (US)

I love your case, love it! i keep wanting to cut my side panel and put mesh in it and attach a fan on the side but i dont know. too hesitant to make the cut.

Almost finished with mine, just have the clear coat and some cure time; should have pics up by Friday is the goal.

Holy jeezzzz ... size 18?! No wonder you have a gf! :D lol Just kidding I mean nothing by that.

Nice case btw, its a little plain w/o some mods. To bad this deal wasn't on in Canada. booooo

Just finished mine up, still have a few things I want to change/swap out but I'm probably 90% done.

Lights out
Sideon.jpg

Lights on, I decided to go withan LED stirng here, running two sets of 30 white LED's being run off the switches on top.
lightsside.jpg

Top view, three 120's currently running the generic Lian Li fans, eventually giong to be replaced with Yates. You can also see the military toggle switches, they have 5mm blue LED's in the top when active, these things are leaving scorch marks on the celing when I leave it on to long. ;) I picked them up at HarborFreight for $5 each... very happy with that purchase.
Top_View.jpg

Front View with the system powered up, looking at another two 120 mm fans, and two fan bus's each running 4 fans, (yup, total of eight 120's levitating this critter,) I'm going for a negative pressure design here ;) It also shows how freaken bright these LED chains are.
lightthrow.jpg

Side off, lights off; I decided to go with candy apple red metal flake; it's also probably the last time I end up using metal flake paint in a rattle-can; damn thing clogs a lot and I ended up constantly cleaning it.
Sideoff.jpg

Here is a shot of the 8800 GT's, both running Accelero's and a pair of Yate Loon 120mm x20mm, keeps the cards nice and frosty, ideling around the mid/upper 30's. If you look at the SLI bridge I was able to, (after a while of gentil persuasion, I was able to remove the fins from the top Accelero and put the bridge between them, then reseat them; this one I'm very happy the way it turned out.
SLIcards.jpg

Fortunately or unfortunately you can't see the majority of the work which was the custom wiring, I either built extension cables for the fans or extended the fan cables, (most are around a foot and a half or so long, giving me plenty of room for routing. The other wiring bit I did was for the lighting and switches, instead of running things through the standard wiring I used an old set of Fan headers so I can set it up to swap out whenever I want to change the lighting theme.

Hi, does anyone know if any bestbuy in Grand forks, ND have these cases because im bringing over $400 there in 2 weeks to spend on PC parts, im in Manitoba and they dont have any.

The case was on clearance several months ago, i dont know if they have any. have you checked their website? or ebay? i would venture a guess that the case is probably no longer available. The case is not listed on their website.

Hey fallen, i love those switches that you put on the top. Where those hard to implement? im planning to cut my side panel just havnt gone out to get the blades or tape lol.

The case was on clearance several months ago, i dont know if they have any. have you checked their website? or ebay? i would venture a guess that the case is probably no longer available. The case is not listed on their website.

I checked there site and there was nothing and im not gonna bother with flea-bay. I check the best buy when im there and if they dont have it ill get a Centurion 5.

For the W/C'ing folks...

Anyone pull the bottom HDD cages, and put a 2x120 rad on the bottom? There's obviously venting capabilities already mfg'ed down there, just curious to see if anyone has put a rad into a "bottom venting" position in this case?

I've got a shiny new case sitting next to me ready to move my current gear/loop into, as I'm changing from a 240/120 to a 240/240 setup. I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the 2nd 240. ( 2x MCP-220's)

Loop wise, I'm trying to figure out if putting a rad at the very bottom of the case hinders loop performance. Most everything else, loop wise, will be above the 3.5 cage....seems like trying to drop a rad at the bottom may cause some loop performance issues. (Laing DDC+ with plexi mod top/not wanting to mount the 2nd rad outside the case.)

I'm having doubts that the plastic case feet that fit the roughly identical PC-7 series cases will raise the case up off the floor enough to provide good airflow from the bottom. (especially on carpet)

External Vendor Link

There's always the option to mount the 2nd 240 in the extra 5.25 bays using this:

Lian-Li 5.25 bay mounts (External link to vendor)

Pics will be added shortly

For the W/C'ing folks...

Anyone pull the bottom HDD cages, and put a 2x120 rad on the bottom? There's obviously venting capabilities already mfg'ed down there, just curious to see if anyone has put a rad into a "bottom venting" position in this case?

Good question! I've been pondering that myself. I have some extra space but I will probably have to make custom shroud that raises the radiator ~6" from the case floor since some of it is covered with cabling.
I've got a shiny new case sitting next to me ready to move my current gear/loop into, as I'm changing from a 240/120 to a 240/240 setup. I'm trying to figure out the best placement for the 2nd 240. ( 2x MCP-220's)

If you haven't already, you can drill a couple of holes in the back and mount your radiator on the back. Easy as pie. Not kidding.

I'm having doubts that the plastic case feet that fit the roughly identical PC-7 series cases will raise the case up off the floor enough to provide good airflow from the bottom. (especially on carpet)

External Vendor Link

If you're worried if there will be enough airflow under the chassis, then you can custom install some rolling wheels. My case stands a good 1.25" above the carpet.

There's always the option to mount the 2nd 240 in the extra 5.25 bays using this:

Lian-Li 5.25 bay mounts (External link to vendor)

You will not be able to mount the radiator in the 5.25" drive bays. The side notches that allow the drives to slide in, will prevent it from going in. If you have the case, you will understand what I am talking about.

Hey fallen, i love those switches that you put on the top. Where those hard to implement? im planning to cut my side panel just havnt gone out to get the blades or tape lol.

They were actually pretty easy to impliment, (as far as the wiring goes,); hardest part was location. If you take a look at the top shot those vent holes... yea those were the first attempts at locating them outside of the USB housing; but in my haste I forgot to measure the distance between the center of the hole and the frame which caused it to catch/not fit, (the housing on the switches is thicker than expected.) So I ended up drilling out a few more holes to make it look a bit more uniform and like I meant to do it. ;)

For the W/C'ing folks...

If doing this a couple of things, you'll most likely need to drill out the mounting holes, (I've tried positioning some 120's down there and the holes don't quite line up. Another suggestion would be to swap out the case feet for something that gives more clearance, like either the Lain Li wheels or some of the MNPCTech stuff. The stock feet only give about 1/4" or so clearnace, the case feet I've got on mine gives about 3/4 to an inch.

You will not be able to mount the radiator in the 5.25" drive bays. The side notches that allow the drives to slide in, will prevent it from going in. If you have the case, you will understand what I am talking about.

Its still possible but takes a good bit more work; basically if you drill out the rivets holding it in place you can go after it with a hammer and block; you can get it fairly close with them.

With mine I was in a bit of a hury and used a flat screwdriver and hammer... didn't turn out good, which is why the window doesn't show that part. ;-)

For the W/C'ing folks...

Anyone pull the bottom HDD cages, and put a 2x120 rad on the bottom? There's obviously venting capabilities already mfg'ed down there, just curious to see if anyone has put a rad into a "bottom venting" position in this case?...
I just finished doing this!

I've been getting the system together for a couple weeks, and my Fuzion just came it, next to a WD640. :D

I'm uploading the pictures right now.... (Crappy cell phone pics REPLACED with normal pics.) Ninja edit COMPLETE.

[EDIT2]

[/EDIT]

Currently idles high-30s/low-40s, loads in mid-50s.

I am going to look into taller feet/wheels, b/c there's definitely restriction with mounting the rad this way. Though I tried to help by using weatherstripping to elevate the rad off the bottom of the case - it can also vent towards the PSU a bit. PSU is sealed completely w/weatherstrip - air through the bottom pushed straight out the back.

I do plan on replacing the zip-tied fan (there to provide some airflow to the RAM/mosfets) with a kama bay, and I hope to add a fan controller soon, b/c the Yates on full are loud.

Just got mine yesterday from BB for $32 w/ reward zone coupons :D Best $32 I've ever spent. Went directly next door and bought some lexan and mesh and am working on the side panel window/vent today. Stayed up last night and got all the internals in, even figured out a cool way to mount the rad in the top of the case with side Lian Li fan mount thing, the graphics cooler one.

I'll get pics up once my 8800 waterblock comes in and I finish the side panel. LOVE THIS CASE!

waiting on some parts.

from the top down, im seeing:

3x120 on top, with UV active/UV LED fans. Now, the fans have separate cables for lights and speed, so im going to have a 6-fan controller, in addition to a 2 or 3 strong military switch panel which will control the lights and CCs. Switch it up between a green cc, uv cc, and no light at all, and turn the fan leds off independently as well.

4-in-3 lian li hd bay, you've seen it, its nice.

a 3.5 media bay to replace the lost ports up top.

a full window (the one with the mesh over the video) and the duct assembly to blow air straight through the window, not out the back.

What ive removed from the case itself was.. well I kept the door, tossed the Rfish logo. Anywhere know where I can get a little stick on lian li badge that size? I also removed the left most hd cage too. I think im done. its gonna look nice. any suggestions?

This is my first attempt at building decent pc. You know, with some quality parts and nice wire managment. I have usally used cheap crap just to surf the web and email. I usually spend toooo much time at work on database servers to care much about what I have at home. But after I got my 65" HDTV I wanted to to play media content on it and build a theater room. Just picked this case up last night for $30.00 on Craigslist. Brand new still in the box. I freaking love it. I need to get some longer cables to reach the optical drives, create more airflow, (but it's running below 30C with just the Gemini II on the CPU) and add a Blu-ray player . Not sure if I am going to mod this alot, but it's very tempting. I wanted this case because I am using it as an HTPC and it holds ALOT of drives.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

This is the old case

So, I've gjust got everything assembled after a leak test...and the stupid Danger Den bay res has a small leak from the acrylic. What a pain. Oh well, love this case and really happy with how it turned out.

Cut a side window, side vent, top vent, mounted a 1x120 rad in the front and a 2x80 rad up top. bay res, 8800GTS Danger Den block and DD cpu block. Its 88 deg in my room and my cpu is 33c idle and 43c load...damn happy with that.

Need to do some more wire management, and stealth the drive. Get a couple more fans to replace the Red led ones that came with the one rad... other than that...almost doooonnneeee.

CRAP PICS! My digi is MIA, but Ill find it and update soon.

This thing makes my 37" and 24" monitors look small haha!

IMG00095-800x600.jpg

IMG00099-800x600.jpg

IMG00100-800x600.jpg

IMG00101-800x600.jpg

IMG00102-800x600.jpg

IMG00103-800x600.jpg

IMG00104-800x600.jpg

IMG00105-800x600.jpg

IMG00106-800x600.jpg

This case had so much room so I wanted to jam as much crap in there as I could.

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Cheesy velcro mod...but atleast now the front panel is removable

IMG_1832.jpg

Trying to clean up the wiring as much as I can. SATA and SVideo cables going out a PCI slot. Rouded SCSI cables at the bottom

IMG_1843.jpg

Behind the front panel wiring. Acrylic tray above the DVD for pump and res

IMG_1916.jpg

More pita wiring

IMG_1897.jpg

6 x 500GB AAKS, 6 x 147GB 15k U320 on Intel PCIe SCSI RAID Card, 8800GTS, 6200 PCI for 5.6" LCD, PA 120.3, Fuzion 2, MCP655, MCRes installed

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

PCI fan intake. Everythings installed. I'm hoping to mount another HD somewhere in there

IMG_1894.jpg

eSATA routed to front AeroCool FP-01

IMG_1889.jpg

Crazy lights. Dual UV and dual blue ccfl installed up top

IMG_1946.jpg

AeroCool front panel controls the 3 yates on the PA 120.3, 5.6" LCD, Scythe Kaze controls fans on HDs, DVD drive, Lian 3.5" fan controller

IMG_1932.jpg

SCSI HD activity led on front key hole

I'm still working on the side window.

That's basically why they were selling for $48

If you're lucky a local store MIGHT have more, I might check out my Bestbuy at somepoint and have an employee run a SKU which I can look-over-his-shoulder at ;) And see if there are any left and stock up on a couple... cause they're amazing cases for $50 or even $100...

I turned mine into a file server, MATX board, Dell Perc5 and 9 HDD's... all the 5.25" bays are empty and the two external 3.5" ones are empty, so I got room to expand to 16 drives when I want to :)

Back