Post your "rate my cables" here

i think the wiring looks nice. no extra length on those front panel wires to run them under and behind the mobo?

Unfortunately no, that's a USB Card Reader, and the wire is just too damn short. I thought it was tucked away well enough though for what it is.

It is hard to really to get a good look at it. Can you show us another view?

It's really hard to make photos of a tray which can be pulled from inside of the wall mounted cabinet, and which is only 40cm deep but over 70cm wide :).

DSC_0567s.jpg

DSC_0568s.jpg

DSC_0571s.jpg

It is 15 hard drives, one M.2 SSD, DVB-C card + CI module, two WiFi cards, IBM M1015.

^Really liking the drawer approach. I'll have to keep that in mind for future HTPC builds.

I've just found these pics laying around on my computer. They're from a while back, when I upgraded from X58 to X79, I guess it'd fit in here. It's not as good too win the approval of the snobs of the thread, so I'll only post links. I just wanted to show the difference.

Before After

I've just found these pics laying around on my computer. They're from a while back, when I upgraded from X58 to X79,

Which X58 motherboard was it? It looks to have the primary x16 slot in the #3 position which would be wonderful for me. Hopefully they do a Z77 version.

Yes, it's a X58A-UD3R, it wasn't that good for SLI though because there is only one slot between the two x16 slots.

Dug up some old pics of a custom file server I built back in 2010. I would have done a few small things differently today (like a custom power rail along the column of drive bays) but otherwise I'm pretty proud of the work I did. I have wanted for a long time to wire the inside of a PC the way I used to wire aircraft (in a previous life of mine). Finally got my chance...

coolermaster04.jpg

coolermaster05.jpg

coolermaster06.jpg

^^^^^^^ what is the terminal block that your 24pin is connected to?

That terminal block is actually just a 24-pin PSU splitter that allows the power signal from the motherboard to turn on both of them at the same time.

Nice job on the IDE cable

Thanks! You don't see much of that anymore (and I don't miss it).

if by grey you mean beige than i am guessing they are front panel USB ports and such

Correct. All the front panel connectors were tied to the motherboard via that bundle of cables that run under the board and emerge at the lower left corner.

Don't have a good single shot and when I took these two pics I never intended to have my cable management judged but here is what the inside of my Air 540 looks like now
20140805_075613.jpg

20140805_075721.jpg

Don't have a good single shot and when I took these two pics I never intended to have my cable management judged but here is what the inside of my Air 540 looks like now

20140805_075721.jpg

:p
Good job, I have the same case. The silver one. Curious as to why you opted to put the SSD down below rather than in the rack on the backside of the Motherboard tray? I am also thinking about cutting a piece of black acrylic to fill those holes in the bottom, or maybe some mesh I haven't decided which yet.

:p
Good job, I have the same case. The silver one. Curious as to why you opted to put the SSD down below rather than in the rack on the backside of the Motherboard tray? I am also thinking about cutting a piece of black acrylic to fill those holes in the bottom, or maybe some mesh I haven't decided which yet.

To be honest I didn't have a sata cable long enough to reach. My previous case the drive bays were right next to the mobo, so I only had 6" sata cables. Just haven't gotten around to get a long enough cable to house it in the back.

i0fVXJ1.jpg

This is my new build. I tried to tidy up the wiring as much as possible, any tips on more I can do? First thing, I need to grab some more black SATA wires. I have none, and those blue ones don't match this new build. They matched my old Thermaltake Armor with blue fan LEDs, but not this one.

Can't figure out how to make the GPU power cable better. I had it going through the bottom hole before, but it was really in the way. This seems a little bit better.

Can't figure out how to make the GPU power cable better. I had it going through the bottom hole before, but it was really in the way. This seems a little bit better.

Looks OK, as good as mine and just about anyone's. Those pci-e cables are just too big and bulky to make disappear

Looks OK, as good as mine and just about anyone's. Those pci-e cables are just too big and bulky to make disappear

That makes me happy. This was only my second build ever. My first back in 2008 was a disaster of cables. Then again, I didn't have a case with any routing options. Getting a CPU power extension made a huge difference, as that power cable used to run across the mobo. Now I just need to find me some pretty good quietish fans to match, black SATA cables, and she'll be all done!

This is the best I can get my wires, with how stiff the Corsair wires are... I should have gotten the premium sleeved wires.

3p5MBey.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best I can get my wires, with how stiff the Corsair wires are... I should have gotten the premium sleeved wires.

3p5MBey.jpg

Looks good, but pull that cable at the bottom left through the grommet a little more. Also, that stock heatsink has got to go.

If you are not in the market for a "fancy" cooler you should at least get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...coolermaster_hyper_212-_-35-103-099-_-Product

Its a very solid performer, I used to have it before my AIO setup.

Zipties - they are your friend. I've always been a fan of neatness over hiding everything. This is a client build, 4930K clocked to 4.4GHz, a mild 24/7 stable OC.

14877068504_1f6b964b5b_k.jpg

14879479695_c59dc32480_b.jpg

14692941997_8d8dee7b39_k.jpg

14692969597_4edd7bc004_k.jpg

14692976597_440b65d308_k.jpg

More pictures later.

The upgrade bug bit again (this year is the first time in awhile). Two XFX Double Dissipation Black Edition R9 280x cards. Devil's Canyon i7-4790K and a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H Black Edition. Also added the mesh side panel (not seen in this photo) to my Corsair 650D, added another 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow Blue to that panel, and sleeved the cable. Using DEMCiflex filters for the side and top panels.

The new and improved Leviathan. Undergoing CPU burn-in before I play with clock speed.

leviathan_2014r2.jpg

Damn, Burger, that's what I tried to do.. But I had issues with wire stiffness and the fact I was cramming 4 drives practically on top of each other.. When I tried to pull the cables together it just looked like I was going to rip the connectors right off of the drive. That and the 24 pin cable is so thick nothing can go under or over it or the case won't close properly.

I've learned, though, it's my first PC with cable routing.. Next time I'm going to get the premium individually sleeved cables.

The smallest system I've ever build. Very little room but I did the best I could. If you're wondering where the HDD is, I'm using an M.2 SSD that plugs into the back of the mobo.

Putting together another low-budget HTPC ($300) in a case I'm quite familiar with (I have one, and it is a PAIN to work in).

-Intel Pentium G3258
-ASRock H81M-ITX
-Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
-Intel 530 120GB SSD
-Antec ISK310-150W
-Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B

Took around a day, managed to get the feisty Pentium up to 4.2GHz (I know the screen cap says 4.1GHz, this was before I tweaked some more settings). Right now it is rock stable at 1.25V VCORE and the multiplier set at 42. Overvoltage is enabled, but aside from those settings, there are really no in depth adjustments. Ram is set to XMP Profile 1.3. Probably going to start lowering VCORE and see if we could get lower temps - it's hitting 85C with the stock Intel cooler (the Scythe is on backorder):

14952697056_695e19952c_h.jpg

14972572691_4df6a488cc_h.jpg

If you've seen my previous builds, most of you will know I have a thing for steel cables, and this is no different. Since I had cut down the ODD/HDD tray (original tray below) to increase the clearance for the HSF, it became slightly flimsy front to back since the original unaltered tray ran the full length of the case and tied the front to the back with screws. Decided to install a couple of steel cables to mitigate this - an unexpected bonus, they came out pretty sleek personally and just look cool.

14788989929_d22a4d31e8_h.jpg

14789067508_8105a3ede9_h.jpg

14952693836_c93f87d5b8_h.jpg

14952702986_b3dcbd9cb3_h.jpg

14789127597_6e5c9cbd6f_h.jpg

14788986739_8675a7d302_h.jpg

I knew the PSU in this particular case ran HOT so like my own HTPC I removed all possible obstructions from the intake and exhaust grills to aid in venting - even still the PSU blows out warm air, someone you'll have to put up with due to the extremely crammed compartment.

14789064658_63bf9f3376_h.jpg

14789063698_e4799ebc8a_h.jpg

Back