Post your "rate my cables" here

Pretty nice setup trick! Though, I noticed a few cables are overlapping, which is slightly ugly IMO. If that wouldn't be to much trouble to fix I highly reccomend fixing it ;)

That's not what his psu is doing at all.
♦

It's the answer to
"What are the advantages of turning your power supply upside down? Just curious. "

Protip. the grille in the back where the power switch and mains plug goes into has *always* been the exhaust. Flipping the PSU does not change this at all. The fan still blows air in the same direction.

It does get it's air from outside the case (= cold) instead of pre-heated case air.

the hell lol

heck yes

Finished wiring up my ITX setup inside a Phenom-M. Really cramped, especially with the thick radiator and long PSU.

phenomwiring.JPG

I need some recommendation on cable management.

8SspO93l.jpg

Modify your case, cut a hole at the bottom next to your power supply, then cut a hole to the side of your motherboard power plug. Route your main cables through the bottom and out the side.

It's not as bad as it looks on picture.

The lens I used somehow flattened the sense of depth, so the cables look all over the place.

If you're so damn good c'mon tell me some suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not a wizard who can elongate cables. So I have to use what I got.

No one said cable management was necessarily possible with stuff you have laying around.

A modern case with cable management holes so you can route all that crap through the back would do you wonders here.

If you don't want to buy a new case, and if this current one has about an inch between the back of the motherboard tray and that other side of the case, could go ahead and try cutting some holes so you can manually run cables through that side.

Case-wise, Antec P280 would be my first pick for needs like yours. Enough room for 6 of your 7 HDDs + 2 spots for SSDs.

Antec, Bitfenix, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT all have some great cases you could choose from.

NZXT Source 210 is the cheapest option one would have, and it's actually quite a nice case. Corsair 200R doesn't look half bad either. Fractal Design R4 has more room for drives (and even has a $20 instant off promo code).

No one said cable management was necessarily possible with stuff you have laying around.

A modern case with cable management holes so you can route all that crap through the back would do you wonders here.

If you don't want to buy a new case, and if this current one has about an inch between the back of the motherboard tray and that other side of the case, could go ahead and try cutting some holes so you can manually run cables through that side.

Case-wise, Antec P280 would be my first pick for needs like yours. Enough room for 6 of your 7 HDDs + 2 spots for SSDs.

Antec, Bitfenix, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT all have some great cases you could choose from.

NZXT Source 210 is the cheapest option one would have, and it's actually quite a nice case. Corsair 200R doesn't look half bad either. Fractal Design R4 has more room for drives (and even has a $20 instant off promo code).

Thank you, that's what I call constructive criticism.

I thought it was about doing the best effort. Paying extra specifically for that, is overkill IMO, unless you're building it for some show.

Unfortunately there is no space behind the mb tray at all, the side panel is right on top of it. And the factory cable management holes are too small of the case to route the ATX and the PCIE power cables trough them.

I wasn't particularly looking for a new case. I have a Silverstone Raven RV03, but it was disappointing to say the least. I'd like the Define R4, but with the usb ports on the top it's no good for me.

Come on! This is the "rate my cables" thread! Operative word here is "rate". That's what Krenum and I did. If you're going to get all sensitive then don't post your cable job. We expect great cable jobs. After all, this is the big [H]. If you lack the skills to elongate your cables then get extenders. Not everybody can re-cable a power supply. That's why extenders exist. And the lazy love them.:D

It's not as bad as it looks on picture.

The lens I used somehow flattened the sense of depth, so the cables look all over the place.

Looks like cables are out of the way of airflow and reasonably well laid out given the limitations you're working with. Good work :D

Some of the elitists around here go all "OMFG WHAT IS THIS SHIT" as soon as someone posts a rig that isn't clinically clean. They need to go smell the flowers for a bit and realize that the real world is not perfect.

Come on! This is the "rate my cables" thread! Operative word here is "rate". That's what Krenum and I did. If you're going to get all sensitive then don't post your cable job. We expect great cable jobs. After all, this is the big [H]. If you lack the skills to elongate your cables then get extenders. Not everybody can re-cable a power supply. That's why extenders exist. And the lazy love them.:D

Here's the "after" picture you were looking for :p

link

I could re-cable a power supply, but it's not that important to me I don't want to loose warranty. As long as my cables don't block any fans It's ok :D

5nlrg5.jpg

Customer unit I just built. i7-4930K, Titan Black, 16gb of HyperX Beast 2133. Shame he wanted it utilitarian. The NZXT Source 220 is a nice case, but this is just too nice of hardware to be in such a plain box.

Customer unit I just built. i7-4930K, Titan Black, 16gb of HyperX Beast 2133. Shame he wanted it utilitarian. The NZXT Source 220 is a nice case, but this is just too nice of hardware to be in such a plain box.

Does the CPU cooler touch the VGA? Wouldn't it be better to put it in the second PCIE16 slot?

Looks like cables are out of the way of airflow and reasonably well laid out given the limitations you're working with. Good work :D

Some of the elitists around here go all "OMFG WHAT IS THIS SHIT" as soon as someone posts a rig that isn't clinically clean. They need to go smell the flowers for a bit and realize that the real world is not perfect.

Heh, I should grab a pic of my server at home sometime and post it here. Calling it messy would be a bit generous. Not a whole lot I can do about it given how many drives are stuffed in there. (currently have 9, 8 spinners and one ssd)

Does the CPU cooler touch the VGA? Wouldn't it be better to put it in the second PCIE16 slot?

No, the cooler doesn't touch. I did put a rubber stopper in between them just in case though. This system is designed with future SLi in mind, so I figured I should deal with the clearance problem, not the customer.

No, the cooler doesn't touch. I did put a rubber stopper in between them just in case though. This system is designed with future SLi in mind, so I figured I should deal with the clearance problem, not the customer.

750w psu for sli titan blacks?

*Face palm*

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/21/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_video_card_review/10#.U86Rb-lOVaR

Look, the Titan Black stock uses about 10-15w more then a Vanilla Titan. SLi titans pull about 650w max stock. This PSU has 744w available on its 12v rail. That's more then 10% overhead. I know what I'm doing, and have been doing this for years. Just because you waste money on too much power doesn't mean it was in the budget for this build.

Isn't this thread about wiring?

*face palm*

3770k 77w vs 4930k 130w
2 4gb 1600 vs 4 4gb 2133
vanilla titan vs black titan

can it run on 750? yeah, but that psu would be maxed out.

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Last edited:
*face palm*

3770k 77w vs 4930k 130w
2 4gb 1600 vs 4 4gb 2133
vanilla titan vs black titan

can it run on 750? yeah, but that psu would be maxed out.

*Epic double face palm*
A 3770K Oced to 4.8ghz, that I'm sure pulls atleast 130w with that OC.
Corsair 1.65v ram to 1.6v Kingston.
I pointed out the wattage difference between the Black and vanilla.
HardOCP takes their measurement from the wall. So efficiency comes into play. So that 650~w at the wall is really only 585w to their PSU.

I assure you, that PSU will have over 10% overhead. I'd be pulling between 600-650w from the PSU, and 725-775w from the wall. That PSU is fine for SLi.

Edit: I see you're linking the Newegg PSU Calc now. That's a mediocre calc, it always aims high, usually by 200-250w. The extreme outervision psu calc is usually closer to reality. Infact, put in the system I have there, cept in SLI of course, and it recommends the CX750 for my 641w system at 100% tdp. I still think that's a touch high in estimation, but closer then the nearly 1kw Newegg wants you to buy.

Look, you buy PSUs too big for your load, that's fine. You obviously don't go through the math. It's easier just to buy something abit bigger. This is setup with a clear design in mind, and built to match those specs and budget. I realize saying budget and I7 Hex/Titan Black in the same breath is kind of silly, but it's a programming/design work station. Sure, he'll game, but it's main focus is utility. It had to fit a budget, and I got him the most bang for his buck.

Again, isn't this thread about wiring?

Last edited:
most of us are with you jorona. newegg tells me i need a 803W psu for my build, while the extreme PSU calculator (i use that one too) tells me i need at least 324W, and recommends 374W. LOL! runs great on my 450W psu and i havent even started overclocking yet. so yeah that newegg one is total garbage.

*Face palm*

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/21/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_video_card_review/10#.U86Rb-lOVaR

Look, the Titan Black stock uses about 10-15w more then a Vanilla Titan. SLi titans pull about 650w max stock. This PSU has 744w available on its 12v rail. That's more then 10% overhead. I know what I'm doing, and have been doing this for years. Just because you waste money on too much power doesn't mean it was in the budget for this build.

Isn't this thread about wiring?
I'm thinking more about CYA as a business owner more than the actual draw. If it were me, I'd want more than 10% buffer. Will it handle it in the short term? Sure. But if this guy is running 2 titans, and a K-series cpu, you better believe he's going to OC. And, should he do that and fry soomething, he's going to come back to you for warranty support on something that was his fault, really, and you'll have no way to know it. Drop another 100w in there, and you'd never have to deal with that issue.

my 2c.

I'm thinking more about CYA as a business owner more than the actual draw. If it were me, I'd want more than 10% buffer. Will it handle it in the short term? Sure. But if this guy is running 2 titans, and a K-series cpu, you better believe he's going to OC. And, should he do that and fry soomething, he's going to come back to you for warranty support on something that was his fault, really, and you'll have no way to know it. Drop another 100w in there, and you'd never have to deal with that issue.

my 2c.

If Corsair didn't think it would do 744w for 3 years, they wouldn't warranty it that way. All my workstations have 2 year warranties.

I can't believe we're still arguing over this. I've proven time and time again that the PSU is ample for the load it HASN'T EVEN BEEN GIVEN YET. It has 1, One, a SINGULAR video card in it right now, and may never get a second Titan. I gave him enough overhead that if he ever wants to, he could.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT WIRING.

i think the wiring looks nice. no extra length on those front panel wires to run them under and behind the mobo?

Back