Post your "rate my cables" here

Installed some new fans so I decided to finally fix up my Sata cables.
DSC00761.jpg

New SP120 HP fans.
DSC00762.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

NZXT H2
MSI 890FXa-GD70 AM3+
AMD Phenom II 965BE at 4GHz
Kuehler 620
2x Gigabyte 6850 1Gb
8Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
2x OCZ Vertex 3 60Gb SSD in Raid 0
2x WD Velociraptor 150Gb storage drives
Tagan 1100W Not-Modular-At-All PSU(So not modular that the cables have more resiliency than steel rod)

In all, I'm fairly impressed with myself. lol

My cables will stay in place(in style to boot) in a tornado. I bought a 1000 pack of 4" purple zip ties.

In my opinion, the main ATX cable should run into one of the closer grommets all of the rest of your power supply wire are running into. Other than that, nice job.

Thanks! I have no idea what I was thinking when I ran the power cables. I'll redo that this weekend.

Also, a side note, notice any red/yellow/white wires? Nope because I painted them with some flat black brush on paint. I didn't want to sleeve them, thought it would be easier/cleaner to use paint.

Thanks! I have no idea what I was thinking when I ran the power cables. I'll redo that this weekend.

Also, a side note, notice any red/yellow/white wires? Nope because I painted them with some flat black brush on paint. I didn't want to sleeve them, thought it would be easier/cleaner to use paint.

i see one white wire at the bottom of the drive stack coming from a fan and i think another white wire and a red and a yellow wire coming from the rear top and rear fan respectively. you asked. :p

but holy shit, got a fetish for cable-ties?;)
seriously you must have gone thru an entire bag just for the backside. count almost 50 that are visible.

Cable ties are cheap. There is - almost - no such thing as using too many cable ties.

The only thing I like about this photo is that I paid a total of $40 for everything you see there; the wiring is horrid though. I have a Lian Li PC-Q12B I'm transplanting this system into. I'm redoing all the sleeving and would like to know what high quality, high density sleeving do you guys use? And no heatshink? I like the fabric look some of these have but don't care for the individually sleeved wires. I'd like to cover all of the wires with one sleeve. Colors other than black would be cool too. Would someone care to point me in the right direction?

Hey I just noticed there's a msata power connector in that photo. Now I don't need to buy an adapter, I'll just harvest that one.

Once I finish this project I will be custom wiring and sleeving a raid server in an ATX chassis.

Paint. That's brilliant. I don't have the time or inclination to sleeve--what kind of paint did you use (latex, acrylic, etc)?

What case is that system in in that picture BTW? It's rather... interesting.
Antec ISK 300-65, they were $24 on amazon at one point which is when I got mine. It uses a power brick so it doesn't really make any noise with those fans.

Way to break the hell out of the thread's formatting with those large side by side pics... :p

Sweet setup tho, SSD behind the mobo tray? I would've probably bought RAM with differently colored heat spreaders, and maybe thrown some sleeving on at least the ends of some of those power cables, but that's just cosmetic stuff. Looks real neat as it is.

Do I see two 690s? I was thinking about removing the HDD cage completely and just mounting them in the 5.25" bay cage too. Not sure how I would mount two SSDs and one HDD there though. Would probably have to buy an adaptor.

I'm not sure that'd fit on a single bay, I'd probably put the two SSD in the bay and lay the HDD flat on a slab of foam at the bottom of the case to decouple it... Been doing that for years and it really helps dampen vibration noise IMO, can Velcro strap it if you move the case a lot.

That's what I'm saying tho, only gonna be able to cram two drives in a 5.25" bay regardless (maybe three if they're all 2.5" tho, pretty sure I've seen one such bracket)... Which is why I suggested decoupling the hard drive at the bottom of the case. Another option for him would be one of those 2.5"+3.5" brackets and hiding the second SSD elsewhere.

Am I the only one that longs for a compact mid tower with three 2.5"/3.5" drive sleds on the bottom (or four, two and two side by side with drives going in perpendicular to the side), a single 5.25" bay either mounted vertically or on top/bottom of the other components, and none of this huge stack of wasted 5.25" bay space that 99% of cases have? Wish I had the time and tools to build my own.

I just don't understand why nearly every case is so deep when nearly no one uses that space, even oddball designs like the Lili A05 and the ST Raven... I want something less deep but slightly wider and/or taller, relocating a single 5.25" bay elsewhere would also allow one to get direct cross flow from front across the entire mobo. Lessens the need for a lot of extra side/top fans.

Last edited:
I bought a two SSD bracket made by Lian Li years ago for like under $10 too, can't remember where I got it but I went with that one because it was purty (brushed aluminum, tho obviously cheap alu so it's easy to scratch if you manhandle it). Things are a dime a dozen these days with so many people installing SSD. Edit: It's a 2.5"x2 to 5.25", just remembered that's why I had a time finding one back then, vast majority used to be 2.5" to 3.5". You can find all sorts now tho.

Back