Post your "rate my cables" here

Took me a few hours to rebuild my PC, but here's my new Corsair 550D. It's a little blurry, blasted phone camera :D.

Finally got around to a little neatening and photo taking. Lighting kinda sucked, but whatever.

2nrjM.jpg

57USr.jpg

uj920.jpg

Veg2E.jpg

Just moved my partially upgraded system from my beloved FT02 Red to this Lian Li PC-X2000F. The X2000F is an awesome case - very well designed and very functional. It's ginormous though and I'm not sure which of the two I'll end up sticking with in the end. I typically don't keep duplicate components but these two cases are so evenly matched it may be one of those very rare instances where I'll end up keeping both.

The GPU temp on the top 7970 jumped 10-11*C going from the FT02 to the X2000F but I'm pretty sure most of that increase was from adding a second card in CrossFire. There just isn't enough room there to let these GPU's breathe adequately. CPU temps were within 1*C of each other in either case.

Anyways, here's what my system looked like in the FT02 up until last week:

ft02priortoX2000F.jpg

Here it is as of today in the X2000F after adding a second 7970, new PSU and new H80:
x2000f1.jpg

With the GPU support bar installed:
x2000f2.jpg

The back so far - still need to clean up the white sleeved cables:
x2000fback.jpg

Inside:
x2000finside1.jpg

And last but not least, ghetto-modded SSD tray:
x2000finside2.jpg

Assembled and ready to go:
march2012c.jpg

AX1200 looks terrible half hanging out the back like that... Otherwise looking slick there.

Yeah, it's somewhat unfortunate that the PSU has to stick out like that but at least they included the PSU extender/cover with this case and that you don't have to pay extra for it. With the standard AX1200 cables, I could push the PSU almost all the way in but with the MDPC-X sleeved cables, that was no longer possible.

Living in a dust free enviroment must be nice. I have to clean my filters weekly and the inside of the case at least once every two months (even with the filters) and I can't get the systems as clean as these.

Cleaned up the backside. Looks better!

Before = Big Mess!

Now = Cleaner =)

These 7970s run hot so better airflow in the rear. Hard to make it look nice when my case is sideways. If it was front facing it would be easy to leave it a mess in the back.

Recently finished a rebuild specifically trying to get a case that would manage things as well as I could, cut down on the size, the noise and number of fans needed.

Went from this in an Antec 300 with the 3.5" bays knocked out (made cable management a nightmare despite the improved airflow)... You can see that I pretty much gave up.

9QUMA.jpg

to a Silverstone FT03 after a motherboard swap:

Rear:

WerDu.jpg

And front:

gR5Id.jpg

The slim optical drive slot ended up being a great place to store cables.

Also much cleaner on the desk with improved cable routing thanks to the case's design.

coqd1.jpg

Antec 300 had 8 fans. Going from that to the Silverstone reduced my fancount by 3 AND dropped the average case temp by about 7f degrees.

Last edited:
So tempted to do a motherboard swap and get a FT03 instead of FT02, but given what I paid for the FT02 and the likelihood of a local sale (shipping would be murder...) that's not going to happen. Love the case, it's very nice, just wish it wasn't so damn big. I miss my Lian Li A05B.

Great rebuild in the ft03! Neat little case that.

I actually quite like the case despite all of its flaws. What it does within its footprint, it does very well. It's the side panels that bug me the most: They don't screw down into place. I'm tempted to make a metal bracket and use JBWeld to give at least one panel something to screw down into nearby: A spare screwhole because I removed a bracket. Might have to document this if I try.

So tempted to do a motherboard swap and get a FT03 instead of FT02, but given what I paid for the FT02 and the likelihood of a local sale (shipping would be murder...) that's not going to happen. Love the case, it's very nice, just wish it wasn't so damn big. I miss my Lian Li A05B.

That was my other beef with the 300. Even if it was a MID tower, it was still a big case if you're the type to put it on top of a desk instead of on the floor or in a cubby... and the FT02 is a monster.

Silverstone cases aren't cheap and a bit overpriced given some inherent issues. The FT03 was still appealing because it condenses what would otherwise be empty space quite well without sacrificing ability to use full size cards, power supplies and heatsinks. Quite a feat.

It's also great to have a non-ITX case without exposed drive bays. (God, they're really dropping the ball on these kinds of boards... either they don't support higher wattage/TDP CPUs or they don't have a 16x slot. I don't use ANYTHING but one 16x slot for the GPU)

In the end, the case was a winner for me. I can't hear it above the background noise with the window open.

I should also note that I used a triple voltage 3x3pin to molex fan splitter. The bottom intake is at 7v (roughly 1000 rpm), the 120mm by CPU is at 12v (1200 rpm) and the exhaust is at 5v (approx 800 rpm) since convection does the rest. Just wanted to disturb the air most around the CPU. This was significantly quieter than using a 3x3 Pin 12v splitter and works about as well.

Stupid question, but those flaps that everyone has on their mobo trays - I'm sure they come with your case, but does anyone know where to get any aftermarket?

You're all assholes and I hate you all for two reasons:
1. Everyone has better cabling than me and better cases for it. (I'm totally jealous)
2. You made me work on my own cables.

Just look at what you made me do. You should all be ashamed!
front.jpg

back.jpg

This is MILES ahead of what it looked like before. There was a huge pile of wires at the bottom of the case and there were wires crossing over different components. It was just a rat's nest.

Regardless, that case is pretty awesome. It looks like a modder's dream, too, not unlike the Lian Li Rocketfish I used to own. You should cut some cable management holes into the mobo tray.

Regardless, that case is pretty awesome. It looks like a modder's dream, too, not unlike the Lian Li Rocketfish I used to own. You should cut some cable management holes into the mobo tray.

I have been planning my next upgrade (to take place at the end of this year) and I plan on getting a Dremel to add openings for water cooling and some new holes for cable management.

Yeah, it's somewhat unfortunate that the PSU has to stick out like that but at least they included the PSU extender/cover with this case and that you don't have to pay extra for it. With the standard AX1200 cables, I could push the PSU almost all the way in but with the MDPC-X sleeved cables, that was no longer possible.

Is the bottom hdd cage modular. Could you put the 2tb hdd in the top and remove the cage giving you room for the psu?

Is the bottom hdd cage modular. Could you put the 2tb hdd in the top and remove the cage giving you room for the psu?

Yes, the bottom HDD cage can be removed but I don't really feel the need to. The GPU support bar is kind of braced on the botom part by that cage so not having it there kind of makes it a little more flimsy. Plus they do provide a PSU extender bracket which finishes out the look so that it's not super ghetto looking just sticking out naked or something. Most importantly, where this case is positioned on my desk (behind a 30" LCD), I'll never see the PSU anyways so it doesn't matter to me.

this is a terrible cellphone pic (don't have my dslr at the moment), but I finally finished my rig. quite happy with how it turned out.

1sl5z.jpg

Build I did for a friend of mine. Case is a Rosewill R102-P-BK.
11kfms7.jpg

zvodqw.jpg

Also made a folding rig. Stupid eight pin wasn't long enough to route properly.
2942agl.jpg

24b9puu.jpg

With lights off:
2d19u37.jpg

Also made a folding rig. Stupid eight pin wasn't long enough to route properly.

You should be able to route the cable under the notch in the graphics card beside the pci-e slots. I've ran that cable there on several rigs and yielded a much cleaner look than putting it in front of the cards.

@ XXshadowwaterXX
In the black one is a 6670, the white one 9800 GT EE SLI with custom coolers on each.
@Nightrainsrt4
Tried that and I'm pretty sure it didn't reach, otherwise I agree completely.

Some great cable and build jobs here - mine was as neat as my patience would allow for!

Love the FT02 for hiding the cables - just a simple loom out the rear

P1060417.JPG

P1060250.JPG

FT02%2520rear.jpg

all.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup kickmic, now I'm shopping for more monitors, lol. 2 just seems incomplete after seeing your desk.

@ XXshadowwaterXX
In the black one is a 6670, the white one 9800 GT EE SLI with custom coolers on each.
@Nightrainsrt4
Tried that and I'm pretty sure it didn't reach, otherwise I agree completely.

Its a cool viva Z1 i have one on my old 5770... It died but no due to the cooler, It was a great cooler.

Yeah they are fantastic. :) Especially since they're so cheap now. MUCH better then the single-slot noise makers that the cards came with.

I still plan on making some changes, but I got my extensions installed. Not too thrilled w/ using a controller, but since I lost a fan due to the size of the Kuhler radiator with double fans, I might switch over to using the PWM 5-fan splitter w/ molex power - looks like FrozenCPU has them. I really wish that I had the rotated drive bays as it'd hide a lot of cables.

wiring.jpg

Back