Post your "rate my cables" here

78C is pretty damn high for water...

Its not unusual to see temps that high running LinX, I'm pretty sure I have the waterblock seated correctly, the temps drop back to idle temps within 2-5 seconds of stopping LinX.

I have seen lower but I've also seen higher, it seems the 930 is a real mix bag, Prime95 shows about 5-7 degrees lower, and when gaming the temps on both the vid card and CPU never go higher than 45C so I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm also running slightly higher VDimm, PLL etc which all make the CPU run hotter, I might try some tweaking and see how I go.

Agreed, LinX will often push CPU temps even further then prim95 and if it's stable....everything else typically is as well.

The machine is nice yes but I'm not a fan of of the blue and the way the tubes are run. Still it's a great computer and the cabling are great!

Deimos you should seriously consider on of the new XSPC D5 res tops to get rid of that res on the back.

The only problem there is I would have to change pumps, and no other type of pump can match the flow rate (1200 litres per hour) and my Apogee GT needs a high flow rate to run efficiently.

The only problem there is I would have to change pumps, and no other type of pump can match the flow rate (1200 litres per hour) and my Apogee GT needs a high flow rate to run efficiently.

There's tons of empty room inside that case though. Isn't there a way so that you could hook up both inside?

There's tons of empty room inside that case though. Isn't there a way so that you could hook up both inside?

Yes, I probably had half a dozen ideas about how I could get the res in there but none of them were practical and I didn't want to have to drill a hole in the top for the fill port, I even thought about not having a res at all, or getting one of these:
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=12780
which might still be an option...

I never had a res when I ran water. Two loops, no res on either. Worked fine. Filling goes slower but that's about it, and it's not that bad as long as you have a fairly good length T-line. No need to drill a hole on top -- just stick the barb from the fillport in the end of your T-line and shove it up somewhere in the top of the case where it can't be seen but you can pull it out for water changes or top-offs.

I finally got some pics of my Coolermaster CM Stacker wiring:
coolermaster01.jpg

My philosophy is why hide the wiring when you can show it off!! One of the nice thing about the CM Stacker case is all the spare threaded holes all over the place --makes it real easy to mount cable clamps!

Here's a closeup of the SATA cables:
coolermaster02.jpg

And lastly you can see the very small amount of cable hiding:
coolermaster03.jpg

I use dual PSU's in this case and needed an ATX motherboard power splitter to allow me to turn both of them on at the same time. I mounted the connector to the chassis and found this to be the best way to position the cables. You can see some teflon tape used as the harness passes over a somewhat sharp edged corner of the mobo tray.

I hope you all like it. It's been a long time coming!

Very creative! I like that idea.

I never had a res when I ran water. Two loops, no res on either. Worked fine. Filling goes slower but that's about it, and it's not that bad as long as you have a fairly good length T-line. No need to drill a hole on top -- just stick the barb from the fillport in the end of your T-line and shove it up somewhere in the top of the case where it can't be seen but you can pull it out for water changes or top-offs.

Why not run a T-line from a res? The little Swiftech res can fit many places and you can also fit some hosing to the bottom with a stop plug to aid with draining the loop.

Filling and draining with a T-line alone seems like a pain in the ass.

Why not run a T-line from a res? The little Swiftech res can fit many places and you can also fit some hosing to the bottom with a stop plug to aid with draining the loop.

Filling and draining with a T-line alone seems like a pain in the ass.

It really isn't. With a good length T-line it acts like a small res. If you want to drain you just tug the t-line downward and put the case up on a table with a bucket under the end or something similar.

78C is pretty damn high for water...

Its not unusual to see temps that high running LinX, I'm pretty sure I have the waterblock seated correctly, the temps drop back to idle temps within 2-5 seconds of stopping LinX.

I have seen lower but I've also seen higher, it seems the 930 is a real mix bag, Prime95 shows about 5-7 degrees lower, and when gaming the temps on both the vid card and CPU never go higher than 45C so I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm also running slightly higher VDimm, PLL etc which all make the CPU run hotter, I might try some tweaking and see how I go.

Actually your temperatures seem rather fine considering your CPU waterblock. The GT was great during the netburst - Conroe era. I'm sure if you upgraded to the XT you would get better temperatures.

My W3520 doesn't go above 75°C using LinX. And that is with it at 4.5GHz (1.33V), coupled with my 5870 in the same loop.

Actually your temperatures seem rather fine considering your CPU waterblock. The GT was great during the netburst - Conroe era. I'm sure if you upgraded to the XT you would get better temperatures.

My W3520 doesn't go above 75°C using LinX. And that is with it at 4.5GHz (1.33V), coupled with my 5870 in the same loop.

I got my radiator mounting bracket today which lifted the rads and lined the fans up with the fan grills and now my LinX load temp is 73C! I'm pretty stoked, I wasn't expecting any difference, so... bonus!

No pump changing...MCP-655 is the Laing D5. Swiftech simply calls it the MCP 655. Koolance and a couple others do the same thing with re-naming, but the pump is the same Laing D5 that will fit with this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...w_Blue_LED_Light_-_Acrylic.html?tl=g30c97s165

I am currently using a Swiftech MCP 655 with this res.

This is very nice because its a res and pump top combined that offers even better flow...I am using one right now...also in my tj07...and i love it...but the damn LED burnt out almost immediately.

Oh and 78C max for a 4.2ghz i7 when running LinX is nothing...especially if you have HT on.

Last edited:
I recently made a rig in a CM Storm Sniper case. Super case. Spacious, elegant and above all, excellent for WM, thanks to the smart holes in the tray, the space next to the tray and to the huge space between the tray and the side panel where you can perfect arrange the cables to be hidden.

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Memory:
Kingston 4 GB DDR3 CL9 Dual Channel Kit HyperX

HDD:
Western Digital 1TB SATA-III 7200 rpm 64MB Caviar Black

Graphics card(s):
Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X 1GB

Sound card:
Creative X-Fi FATAL1TY

Optical drive(s):
LG GH22NS50

Power Supply:
Seasonic X-750

CPU Cooler:
Noctua D14

Fans:
stock 200mm

Case:
CM Storm Sniper

With lights off looks sober and elegant

... from anywhere you looking.

If you choose to leave them on then you have some bling bling.

Buttons, switches and jacks are located very conveniently at hand.

Looks great under the desk

From the front...

...and from the side

Inside it looks just as promising. Was a true champion of the facilities and WM.

As i've already said, very spacious

...so, even the true beasts like Noctua NH-D14 don't seems to be anymore so frightening.

I agree that a very long AD_EXT ribbon cable would have helped me a lot but ... that's it... F@#$k Creative...

It would have been nice to have more black straps, but not ... I was almost pleased with some white, scattered

Even with a modular PSU, on the back are a bunch of cables but ...

... all are obedient to their place,

being very afraid to show themselves up :)

The End ... with the panel that closed without even the slightest hint of opposition...

That case makes my eyes cry. :(

Is there at least room for you to spin the hard drive around so the cables aren't arcing over everything else to get to the drive? No room behind the motherboard tray I take it?

It's ugly, but with the exception of right in front of the CPU HSF which really needs to be cleaned up, it's not bad airflow-wise. Is there no room at all elsewhere for that mass of PSU cables, OP?

Also, seriously, time for a new case. That thing sucks for a variety of reasons, not just the cable management, but the total lack of anything bigger than an 80mm fan mount and the super-restrictive drive bays with no spacing between drives, too.

Last edited:
The TX's are notorious for having very unmanagable masses of cables like the tentacles coming off the robots from the matrix. They are almost impossible to cable manage in smaller cases. I wouldn't worry about it. In a case that size, form > function when talking about the inside. That case doesn't even have a motherboard tray and I suspect you might not even be able to remove the other panel (I've encountered that before) to put cables behind it. There is really no way to manage cables in cases like this and it's fine as long as it works. The only possibility really is for him to have no optical drives and use the bay for storing cables but all his drive bays are also full.

I sold my TX750 for this reason as well since I also have a smaller case. After going modular, I am never going back again.

Look at how small his case is:
phpHs81zAPM.jpg

Last edited:
Did a bit of re-wiring. Replaced two stock fans and two ZM-F3's with five Scythe GT (1450rpm), took out the sound card, and unplugged the cable that powers the ABS logo. Hmm, the two GT's at the top of the case as intakes seem to make more noise than the other 3 GTs (one in rear as intake, and two at bottom cooling the hard drives). I wonder if its because the backs of them are more pressed up against the case. From pictures, I expected the blades of the GT's to be white but they're more grayish white.

Yikes sorry for the really dark picture. Took it quickly without thinking about lighting.
15mmixy.jpg

r0bec6.jpg

dxfg2c.jpg

2poxl5z.jpg

bg5x6d.jpg

Haha, luckily for me, I have enough space for the cables of my TX650 ><

Last edited:
Yeah, my case doesn't have ANYWHERE to route cables. Spare is right about the lack of a mobo tray and removable back panel. Thing didn't even have proper slot covers, just punch outs. Not sure if the HDD can be flipped around, but a new one is going to be going in in a week or so. Oh and the case supports 1 92mm and 1 80mm fan instead of just 80s. :p Btw never buy a FRY's PC. I got one of their better built ones and until recently (and lots of money) it was still terrible. Hell, right now the BIOS inaccessible. But it's ok, as the other ones were full of ECS/PCChips crap.

I recently made a rig in a CM Storm Sniper case. Super case. Spacious, elegant and above all, excellent for WM, thanks to the smart holes in the tray, the space next to the tray and to the huge space between the tray and the side panel where you can perfect arrange the cables to be hidden.

]

i too recently bought the sniper when it was $99 free ship from newegg, but mine has a mesh side panel with a 200mm fan installed. where did you get the window panel? i havent swapped my stuff over from my v1000b plus2 yet as i am still thinking about what i want to do with it. i am thinking about dying the cables on the wiring harness as it is immense and complex and would be a serious bitch to uni sleeve.

Case NZXT Gamma Pure Black
M/b Asus M4A785D-M Pro
Cpu Amd Athlon Sempron 140
Memory 2x1Geil Black Dragon
Psu Chieftec 400W
HDD 2X32 Mtron Mobi Raid-0 (OS)
2 X 1TB Seagate & Samsung for storage (music, movies,photos)

Rate?:p

That 4pin is driving me nuts looking at the picture... At least hide it in between the mobo and the tray D:

Oh you see it too? :p
I trie to hide it but is too short :mad: and cant reach the motherboard so
i order sleeved extension ;)

Like you wouldn't believe. I had to move the previously pictured rats nest out of the way just to get to the old cable, then rearrange it so it would all fit again. Not looking forward to HDD replacement later this week.

i too recently bought the sniper when it was $99 free ship from newegg, but mine has a mesh side panel with a 200mm fan installed. where did you get the window panel? i havent swapped my stuff over from my v1000b plus2 yet as i am still thinking about what i want to do with it. i am thinking about dying the cables on the wiring harness as it is immense and complex and would be a serious bitch to uni sleeve.

The case is CM Storm Sniper Black Edition Window Version It comes with window panel by default...

Last edited:
Unfotunately i was unable to use the most of the ModRight extensions i ordered from FrozenCPU, because there is simply not enough place to hide for the original cable and the extension too. And the original Silverstone cables look ugly :(. Have to make my own, short cables later.

a051p.jpg

EVGA P55 SLI, Sapphire HD5870, Creative X-Fi Titanium, Silverstone X-750. Patriot Torqx 128GB + Intel X25-M 80GB, Core i5 750, Prolimatech Mega Shadow, Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1600 CL7, T-Balancer bigNG, 5x Enermax Magma, few sleeved cables :) and finally but not least a very nice 20x4 display at front.

http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_49_42&products_id=283

Here is my sniper.

kUWQ2.jpg

p9Ne9.jpg

Last edited:
Unfotunately i was unable to use the most of the ModRight extensions i ordered from FrozenCPU, because there is simply not enough place to hide for the original cable and the extension too. And the original Silverstone cables look ugly :(. Have to make my own, short cables later.

a051p.jpg

EVGA P55 SLI, Sapphire HD5870, Creative X-Fi Titanium, Silverstone X-750. Patriot Torqx 128GB + Intel X25-M 80GB, Core i5 750, Prolimatech Mega Shadow, Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1600 CL7, T-Balancer bigNG, 5x Enermax Magma, few sleeved cables :) and finally but not least a very nice 20x4 display at front.

Since your PSU is mounted with the fan facing up, (most mount it with the fan facing down as to not fight the main exhaust for air), you have space underneath the PSU. Before I had a modular PSU, I tucked all my cables UNDER the PSU.

Also, that one cable that is going to your drive bays, can you wire it around the backside of the front fan?

Most people with this case hide cables behind the HDD rack. Since you have no harddrive rack, I recommend building a wall out of spare sheetmetal or aluminum that you paint black and attach it to the backside of the PSU and use that wall to hide cables and use the modright extensions you bought.

Something like this, just a rectangular piece of metal or even black plastic that you stick to the backside of the PSU and it goes up all the way to the drive bays.
panel.jpg

i swapped out my stuff from my ll v1000b plus2 w to my cm sniper last night after seeing the nice snipers here on the last few pages. the parts are a little dusty and the cabling is just half-assed for now. but i am planning to leave a lot of cabling showing after the work that went into uni-sleeving all wires and sleeving all usb, sata, audio, front panel and fan cables with mdpc-x sleeving. btw, you can pretty much see red wire/cable right thru the mdpc-x sleeving. especially the red esata cable which was sleeved with mdpc-x sata sleeving. nils advises to cover these cables with black electric tape before sleeving, but i didnt do that. otherwise, the sleeving and heat shrink was great, and takes less than a week to get here (nyc) from germany. i put 200mm fan grills on the 3 200mm fans. i swapped out the rear 120mm fan for a 140mm scythe kaze maru with 120mm screw holes. i installed a yate loon high speed 140mm blue led fan in the bottom intake slot. its amazingly quiet, considering it has 3x 200mm, 2x 140mm, 1x120mm (cpu), 2x 92mm fans on the vid cards and a 40mm on the chipset. when i turn down the 200mm and 140mm fans with the controller, its almost silent.

i7 920 @ 4400
true black
evga x58 sli
2x hd5770 cf
6gb patriot viper ddr3 1600
zalman hp1000
lg dvd burner
lg bd/hd-dvd reader/dvd burner

4747501680_3079d302fa_b.jpg

4747501744_7c3e2179f7_b.jpg

4747501522_c14c0d5975_b.jpg

Back